9's with stock heads

Originally posted by VictoryTrans
Dave, have you ever had any problems with a lean condition with that fuel pump?? We have that same pump and heard from a couple of people that it might fall a little short at these power levels.

No problems with the ATR fuel pump causing a lean condition when wired properly. I did have a slight problem a few years back when I was running a 70 turbo. I ripped off a 10.30 pass and looked over my recorded run and noticed the injector duty cycle shot up to 120% a/f ratio was in the high 13 range. After looking into a few things noticed the wire terminal broke off the back of the alternator supplying power to the second fuel pump. One pump was just enough, two work out just fine.

Dave Bamford

Re: Precision

Originally posted by UR50SLO
Good luck with your build up with Dan at precision:rolleyes:

That's a awsome time with stock block/full weight car ect.. Great setup Congrats! ~Scott

Thanks, We have had great luck with Dan at Precision. He squeaked 250 more hp out of our twin car with 7 pounds less boost. This was after taking the motor to him for a build up. We were only able to put down 900 at the wheels at 31 pounds of boost before the time bomb blew up, courtesy of another buick vendor.

Dave Bamford

TOP GUN!

That's awsome Dave your car is definalty one of the best cars i've seen! I plan on being at bowling green this year so hopefully I'll be able to see it there? You,Dave Poppe,Red and many others truly take these cars to the limit!:D

Originally posted by HRpartsNstuff
Tony,
Good luck on your quest for the 9's!

My car was going about the same as yours (10.71@125) with stock ported heads, and I considered the road you are taking a lot. It sounded too much like a maintenence/rebuild nightmare from the others that went there. A lot of people said to just go Stg II if you want more than mid/upper 10's. Makes sense, but it sure is cool pushing those stock pieces past their limits :D

Here is some hopefully helpful input on your combo:

Going 9's will be very dependent upon your 60 ft times. Gain a tenth there, and it will equate to almost 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile. I noticed you have a 1.47 with a 4000 stall T-brake. That should be more like a 1.37 going in the 9's. I had a 1.40 best with my suspension setup, with the foot brake :) Might want to look at stuff back there, not just the motor...

Might have to look at slick size & gear change to get 7 tenths off your time.

9's will also take some extra rpm out of the motor, that's where a bigger roller cam would help out. Yours is a bit small for your goal, and might be a restricting factor. You can always turn up the boost :)

If you don't have a girdle on the bottom end, I would get one fast before it's too late. I wouldn't attempt it without it.

One of Terry Houston's 3-1/2" DP's would also help. I had a 4" home-made DP, and it helps :)

As for gaskets, I had great luck with O-ringing the heads and using the stock gaskets W/ studs. Went a whole season at 30 psi. I had 28* timing too, but that is different on every car. I would start with 24-26 degrees for 30+++ psi & see how it likes it. It should go faster with less timing & more boost.

Ignore the boost! Push it as hard as you can without knock. If you reach a limit, lower the timing & push it farther :) When the parts hit the pavement, you went too far :D

Thanks for the advice Paul. First the 1.47 was with bad 28x11 slicks, and a bad track. Since then we put on a new set of 29x11 tires which are .2" wider than the old tires. The big diameter sway bar, and put better front shocks on. Also that was with a 3500 stall PI converter and a slipping T-brake. An Art Carr 4000 stall is in along with a new brake solenoid. Also we just got done building our own 3.5" DP, I'm sure the effort will be worth the results. And my dad is pretty confident in our current head gasket setup which is double stacked steel shims with GE-1200 sealant. Also that idea with not worrying about boost too much is a good idea, my dad will probably take that into consideration. Thank again

BTW, the 9's will be easier since our car will weigh about 3340 with my dad in it, 250lbs lighter than the 10.7. The car also already has 3.73 gears with the 400 tranny

This is a great thread, but don't you guys read the board? Evidently, you must not, because you can't go low 11s, let's alone 9s on a stock TB, plenum and intake...

;)

Strike... Can't is a serious word! That impression will keep you buying expensive parts that don't help! I went to building Buick's because a person can go fast on alot of stock parts. I quit building small block's because of this fact!

Reading the threads and setting up the car right is two different things. Dave Poppie's 9.40's stage 2 car still uses the stock TB,Intake,plenum and the stock ECM and MAF.. Even the tube coming from the stock location IC I'm not saying that the intake is not ported or the plenum but they are still stock! Some of these guys have gone serious times on a budjet. Thanks to the help of everyone here we all can see what parts work and don't.~:D

Victory Trans let me tell you where my Dad and I are at with his car and you take all of this for what it is worth.

1. You do not have injectors big enough to go 9's with. 72;s will not flow enough fuel to make that amount of power.

2. We just got done playing around with stall speeds on converters and here is what we have found. 4000 stall is way too much slippage. You can use a 3000 to 3200 stall 9 inch and it will pull like you wont believe. Dads car had an Art Carr 9 inch in it with stall speed of 4000 rpms. It was good for about half track and then the converter would flash right to the redline of the motor.

If you think about it a 74 turbo really is not all that big. A 70-1 can run on the street with a 3000 stall and it is very responsive.

3. You will need a Stage block at some point in your journey. The power levels you are looking for cannot be found with stock blocks and the best porting in the world.

4. The aftermarket heads are that much better. The reason being: the ports on the aluminum heads are just much bigger than stock heads ever could be.

5. Reasons I believe what I am telling you. We are running a Stage 2 block, M&A heads car right now. It may not be as light as yours but it is close. We just dynoed the car and at 26 psi it made 564 hp and 604 ft lbs of torque to the wheels. And we were running rich with that fuel map. This is using a 72 turbo.

The cam we are using is a 224 flat tappet cam and it makes max torque at 4700 rpm. Check out the graph at http//:[url]www.dynomight.net[/URL] . Click on the GN picture and check it out.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Good luck

Interesting Reggie. What Exh wheel do you have on the 72? Whats the cu in on the stage 2?

Looks like you have the parts. There is a guy down here that went 10.03 with a 64, 009s with 72 lb 7th injector and high boost. I never say CANT with these cars anymore.

Lazaris

the turbo has a .81 housing on it.

Block displacement is 272.

Hey Alex you are right about the car being Orlando's, and that smelly lying piece of crap (onion in a head lock) no deodorant using Harper is always trying to take the credit for the car running those numbers, he hasn't done jack **** for tunning the car, it's all Orlando's work, that web site and all those numbers are dreams in his fantasy world.

you just gotta love this:D