98 Saturn Emissions Help

Reaper

Pit Bitch
A lady i work with Failed AZ emissions, she failed Key on Running & MIL satus.

She Failed due to the SES light on.

On the report it lists the trouble codes reported. however when i loooked them up nothing came up. Could there be a GM Tech that could list SES code?

the codes they listed on the report are:
p0341
p0440

thanks!

ok this is what i found on the autotap site...

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor

P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System

ok so p0341 is the cam sensor is out of adjustment?

p0440 is she needs a new PCV valve?

agian thanks for the help guys

Do you have a OBD2 scantool, because if you do, you can review freezeframe data associated when the code set. This is generic OBD2 code and the manufactuer was probably looking at manufacturer data

98 Saturn

Hey,

I sent you an email to call me. I've worked at Saturn for 11 years now. Anyway, I can help.

Pat

Originally posted by Reaper
ok this is what i found on the autotap site...

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor

P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System

ok so p0341 is the cam sensor is out of adjustment?

p0440 is she needs a new PCV valve?

agian thanks for the help guys

The cam sensor in these cars is an inductive sensor inside the ign module under the #4 coil which senses the coil firing that cyl. Typically if the cyl misfires it will set this code because the #4 firing event wasnt seen, or it occurred at the wrong time. In most cases a set of plugs and wires fixes this. In other cases I have found the coolant temp sensor in the head (just under the thermostat, in a kinda little hole in the head) is bad and or has a bad connection, which causes temp to be wrong and the car runs too rich which causes a misfire which can set that code as well. Most cases the misfire isnt steady enough to set a P030x code. To check the coolant sensor, scan the temp reading and compare it to actual. I have seen them go off scale causing rough run, to overheating as the cooling fan comes on late. If you find a bad sensor reading, make sure to change the sensor AND its pigtail

As for th P0440, you need to be able to cycle the CCP and vent solenoids using a scanner. Assuming the car wasnt left running while getting gas (sometimes as the tank is filling, conditions are met for the ECM to run an evap test, and with the cap off will fail for an evap leak) Anyway, assuming this is not the case, cycle the vent solenoid to see if you hear it clicking. If you do, close it and use a mightyvac to pull the tank into a vacuum while monitoring the tank pressure sensor PID to see if its reading right. I find in most cases the vent solenoid to be bad and doesnt seal when it should. I have seen some bad tank pressure sensors (rarely) and in a few cases found broken evap boxes (hit curb whatever) but I forget off the top of my head where it is on your car so this may not be a solution in your case.