93 Octane.. best Turbo

T1256

I have been doing much looking around and researching trying to pick out a turbo in an 86 GN, The engine is in the process of being rebuilt. Its pretty basic but mods include forged pistons, mild port job, bowl blending, valve job upgraded vavles springs ect. I am also going with a little more cam, injectors, chip and all the other stuff that goes along with it wich i will decide on specs after i pick out a turbo. also a 2800-3000 stall. Anywase the car will see mostly street duty(93 octane) and i would like to have some input on a good turbo for this combination. I was thinking maybe a TA60 but maybe thats too much for the boost levels aloud with 93 octane?

I did pretty good with a te63 on 93.

I kept it around 16# with a 19* street chip,I could run low 11's all day long set up like that.Of course that was on my 4.1 stock block,the 3.8 wasn't too far off though,at the local 1/8 mile track the 3.8 did 7.5's and the 4.1 did 7.1x-7.2x's.I used the same turbo for both motors.

Spooled great with a 3200 stall and could be driven anywhere.Almost instant boost on my car.

T1256 said:
I have been doing much looking around and researching trying to pick out a turbo in an 86 GN, The engine is in the process of being rebuilt. Its pretty basic but mods include forged pistons, mild port job, bowl blending, valve job upgraded vavles springs ect. I am also going with a little more cam, injectors, chip and all the other stuff that goes along with it wich i will decide on specs after i pick out a turbo. also a 2800-3000 stall. Anywase the car will see mostly street duty(93 octane) and i would like to have some input on a good turbo for this combination. I was thinking maybe a TA60 but maybe thats too much for the boost levels aloud with 93 octane?

With that 2800-3000 stall, a TA60 would be a pretty good match. With the heads being ported, you should be able to make some decent power on 93 since you can move more air through them at lower boost levels.

If you've got some extra $ (~$1400) you should look into the ball bearing turbos. I have a Turbonetics 61mm ball bearing turbo from Jack Cotton and it spools QUICK with a 3000 stall 9x11.

I have only run this setup in my sig on 93 pump gas at 18-20 psi. Since my lockup isn't working, I bumped the boost to 22 psi and see only 1- 1.5 degrees of knock going into O/D. At 20 psi, I see zero knock and the car fries the tires from a 45 mph roll. I'm also running a 3K stall converter.

te60

I have a precision TE60 that I have put roughly 2000 miles on for sale for $500 if your'e interested. I'm upgrading.
Thanks, Chris.

First, if you want the best octane-limited performance definitely add a front mount or perhaps alcohol. In your parts range it is worth .5 seconds over a stock or big-neck stock intercooler (seen it on mine and at least 5 other cars from low 11's to low 13's). And it never runs dry like the alky. I ran a PT54, a little bigger than the ta60, with a V2 front mount for several years and loved it. Tuned my way down to 12.30ish on 93 octane with no alky, then went to a 6776 from Limit and got down to 12.02 and 111.8 mph (at 4060 lbs going down the track and a traction/boost limited 1.90+ 60'). I think you would love the p trim GT67 on pump gas. I hope you are thinking of either a 9.5", 10.5", or 9x11 converter - there is a real eye-opening, turbo spooling, tire-frying difference between any of these rated at 2800-3000 stall and a modified stock 2800-3000 stall 12" converter. I have a Yank 10.5" (long story; great converter but a little loose for me at 3200), but if I had to buy today I'd go with either the billet 10.5" from ck or maybe a Pat's (I want lockup for the highway but don't lock at the track). If you needed 32-3500 rpm stall then go to the 9.5" like the vigilante or the 9x11's.

One thing I've learned from years of tuning almost exclusively for 93 octane is that you will need more injector than you think - I was out of injector with red stripes at 12.60 on pump gas while I know one guy who went 10.80's on race gas in a lighter car with red stripes. Plan on at least 60's. I went on to 72's but only run about 70% duty cycle at 12.0 (I wanted to develop a 72 chip before a friend needed it; he got to very low 10's and still had a little injector left :)).

I used to tune for 1-2 deg of retard and a few esc counts per run but then I decided that that was still too much, now I don't want any retard or esc counts. Why beat on it that last little bit? Besides, getting that little bit of knock usually slowed me down so I wasn't any faster than I was on a clean run.

Well I have a B.B. 66, Art Carr 9'' 3400 no lock and had a 91 octane chip, It run 12 flat at 120 mph on a very hot day, Could have done better with more runs

Double-L said:
Well I have a B.B. 66, Art Carr 9'' 3400 no lock and had a 91 octane chip, It run 12 flat at 120 mph on a very hot day, Could have done better with more runs

:eek: If I could get my GN to run that well, I would be thrilled and that's without locking the converter. My Turbocharged 99 GT would trap 123-125 mph at 14 psi on pump gas all summer, but it had an ITS T-76 & more cubes obviously. I guess the biggest & most efficient turbo we can run without ridiculous stall speeds is probably going to do well on pump gas & low boost. The BB P trim GT/PT67 is a great idea and I'm thinking of upgrading to that one myself. $1,300+ is a little steep at the moment.

On pump 93 go pt/GT67 but you will need more converter. If you have the Cash to burn you could use your 3000 stall with a Ball bearing 67. That would be a killer setup with great efficency upn top.

I have a 10.5" Yank converter rated at 3200 stall, and it gives about 27-2800 rpm at zero psi boost. I don't think I need anything looser with my P trim 67. I can hold up to about 10 psi on the footbrake but anything over 5 psi just blows away the Nittos. When I try 6-7 psi the boost gets over 20 psi in less than a second by eye, and that's losing the load on the motor as the tires spin. One day I'll try some slicks and see what a real 60' is like :).

Well it is getting cooler and if it doesn't rain I am taking it back to the strip tomorrow night, Later I want to put a Razor kit and maybe a small shot of NOS, It is a great street car so i don't want to change that

I tend to think GT6776BB aka gt67BB with a stock or small stall on the street with 93 would be very nice. Run 15psi all week, and on weekends throw in some C-16 and turn the boost up.

101mm turbo is the best :D

Turbo is part of your combination.. big azzzz turbo will slow you down if the supporting stuff aint there.

Just ordered a gt67bb along with some other stuff. Should have engine going in a couple of weeks. I'll post my times on 93 octane as that is what I usually run.

Pump gas, alky with only 19psi (No tune)with a 63-1 turbo shifting only at 4900rpm went 11.20 @119 mph.spool up is great. I don't care for the restall D5s. When you run a Ptim ( like the 63) you need something like an Art Carr 9"or Precision 3200 stall. You have to pick your turbo based on your combo. I am old school, I like the 63 for the street along with the usual, heads, cam, FM,Full race trans with either Art carr or Precision non lockup setup.

HTH

Prasad

I only run 93 too..

:wink:

On a cheapo 67 it went 132.7 mph.. 10.5's..

Well took mine back and run a 11.90, Not to bad as I have a stock block car, Will add alky and would like to go with a cam and rockers this winter, Who knows

I like my T&D rockers. I went with the stock 1.55 ratio. Expensive, but the difference over the stock rockers is well worth the price. I'm going with a 210/215 comp roller on my new setup as well as a 70mm throttle body power plate combo from RJC. Can't wait to see how it runs.

I have had great luck with both the T-63-E and the TE-63-1. Keep in mind though that both of these turbos were run on motors with good heads. With a mild camshaft, mildly ported heads and convertor using the other usual bolt ons I would recommend a TE-60. I think you would be happy with both the response on the street and the performance at the track. Good luck to you.

Jim C.