93 Gas is Gone! First Scanmaster Readings

54Rich

So it goes. I got to drive my T today, finally took it out of the subdivision (after a long going over)and thought, better get some gas in this. So I stop at the local BP and grab the Premium pump and start fueling. Then I notice it's 92:eek: Just two weeks ago I brought home 5 gal of 93, now it's gone? This was the only place in town that had it. Sure, I get a car that needs it and it's no longer available.

Anyone in Hudson, WI over to St Paul, MN. Where are you getting your gas? Does one point really matter?

Now, the car needs some serious tuning and my IAC is low. But I had to get on it on the on ramp chirped 2nd and then I saw some knock and got off of it. When I checked the scanmaster recall, it read 804 and 5.4 at 81mph. I know the 81 is wrong, the speedo is way off, is that speedo gauge what the EMC reads? The speedo reads 10-15 high. Would the speedo affect other things? Here are the numbers at warmed up idle:

AF 05
L8 37
Bat 13.4
INT 121
BL 121
MPH 000
CLT 182
ATS 123
r 775
IPS .40
IAC08

Now, I have no idea what injectors are in this or what chip. The car has a Bosch 0 280 160 233 fuel regulator, it looks ajustable, is it? Should I try and ID the injectors (Do you have to pull them to do this?) Or just get a known injector set with matching chip or have a new chip burned for the 92 gas I now have? Most chips that I've seen here are 93 would it work with 92?

Sorry for all the basic questions, not quite ready to belong to the head gasket club.

On a good note, the car runs striaght and true and feels strong. No more oil smoke, since changing out the turbo. Cruising down the road she felt nice, crusie works! Still have issues with the AC, Alt squeels like a stuck pig. So pretty happy considuring everyhting that's been apart on this car.

Funny the attention these draw, a kid went out of his way at the gas station to tell me how COOL the car was:cool:

Had another kid at NAPA, that had some 14 sec honda, telling me that he beat a 3.8 supercharged car, but will NOT even try the "T", Respect I tell you. All in all a nice drive:D

Any advise as always is appreicated.

Thanks,

Rich

I feel your pain...........Used to be able to get Sunoco 94 here but with the gas prices as they are, guess they weren't selling enough of it so they quit. Can still get 93 but I can definitely tell a difference when tuned for 94 and dropped to 93. Had to turn down the boost a little. Now I need the alky worse than ever!!

Cant fine 93 anywhere near me either:( 92 seems to be what we get, I have a friend who brings me unleaded 100 and I put some in each tank to even it up...Pm me when its ready to roll so we can cruise.....

So it goes. I got to drive my T today, finally took it out of the subdivision (after a long going over)and thought, better get some gas in this. So I stop at the local BP and grab the Premium pump and start fueling. Then I notice it's 92:eek: Just two weeks ago I brought home 5 gal of 93, now it's gone? This was the only place in town that had it. Sure, I get a car that needs it and it's no longer available.

Anyone in Hudson, WI over to St Paul, MN. Where are you getting your gas? Does one point really matter?

Now, the car needs some serious tuning and my IAC is low. But I had to get on it on the on ramp chirped 2nd and then I saw some knock and got off of it. When I checked the scanmaster recall, it read 804 and 5.4 at 81mph. I know the 81 is wrong, the speedo is way off, is that speedo gauge what the EMC reads? The speedo reads 10-15 high. Would the speedo affect other things? Here are the numbers at warmed up idle:

AF 05
L8 37
Bat 13.4
INT 121
BL 121
MPH 000
CLT 182
ATS 123
r 775
IPS .40
IAC08

Now, I have no idea what injectors are in this or what chip. The car has a Bosch 0 280 160 233 fuel regulator, it looks ajustable, is it? Should I try and ID the injectors (Do you have to pull them to do this?) Or just get a known injector set with matching chip or have a new chip burned for the 92 gas I now have? Most chips that I've seen here are 93 would it work with 92?

Sorry for all the basic questions, not quite ready to belong to the head gasket club.

On a good note, the car runs striaght and true and feels strong. No more oil smoke, since changing out the turbo. Cruising down the road she felt nice, crusie works! Still have issues with the AC, Alt squeels like a stuck pig. So pretty happy considuring everyhting that's been apart on this car.

Funny the attention these draw, a kid went out of his way at the gas station to tell me how COOL the car was:cool:

Had another kid at NAPA, that had some 14 sec honda, telling me that he beat a 3.8 supercharged car, but will NOT even try the "T", Respect I tell you. All in all a nice drive:D

Any advise as always is appreicated.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich you have stock injectors! and that bosh fuel regulator is one of Kirbans first ones (and yes it's adj) and that is what was on the car when we bought it so i'm sure it wouldn't hurt to be relaced. NO the speedometer won't affect anything as far as the ECU is concerned. That may be part due to the trans that is in there. ?? This is what I would do next to the car:
1) Razors PAC alky kit
2) Alky chip from Eric @ Turbo Tweek
3) New fuel regulator- Very important to keep constant fuel pressure! (42lbs- vac line off..)

With those three items you won't have to ever worry about 92 or 93 pump gas again!
You can turn the boost up, drive up to the pump and have some real fun on pump gas! :biggrin:

Scot W.

1) Razors PAC alky kit
2) Alky chip from Eric @ Turbo Tweek
3) New fuel regulator- Very important to keep constant fuel pressure! (42lbs- vac line off..)

With those three items you won't have to ever worry about 92 or 93 pump gas again!
You can turn the boost up, drive up to the pump and have some real fun on pump gas! :biggrin:

Scot W.[/QUOTE]

Yea, what I want and what I'm going to get right now is two different things. Money tree out of leaves:rolleyes: Glad to know that I can adjust the regulator. I just picked up, or soon to get, some 42.5 injectors. Figure, I'd get a chip burned for that with 93, get to 93 by adding additives? Then:

Get the Speedo fixed
Get the Alt needs bushings or somthing
The brakes really need a fluid change and bled, however, the rear bleeder is snaped off and the fronts are frozen. So... new rear S-10 wheel cyl. and hope for the best on the front (I keep soaking them).

Not in any order.

Scot, look at my numbers above what do you think? I'd say that chip is wrong? Too much timing in the chip? The thing idles for crap, all the vacuum lines have been replaced and the faulty heat control valve has been fixed. For the moat part, the chip control the idle right.

Thanks,

Rich

I guess thats one good thing about long island. We have no 1/4 or 1/8th tack but every station has 93, a few have 100 and theres speed shops in every direction with race fuel. Its like they want us to street race!!

Go with an alky single nozzle and you'll be able to run anything as long as its tuned. Finding meth is the next step!! Good luck!

56Rich - better get used to 92 around the twin cities. I live in Bloomington where we had 93 last summer until it dropped to 92. Some places the highest they offer is 91 octane...:eek:

AF 05
L8 37
Bat 13.4
INT 121
BL 121
MPH 000
CLT 182
ATS 123
r 775
IPS .40
IAC08

Rich

I don't see any numbers above far enough off center to even worry about. While IAC of 8 may seem low, it's still working just fine.

What kind of boost are you running?

chip that's in there might have too much timing.

I agree with TurboDave! your numbers don't look too bad! your TPS could be at .42 at idle, the IAC is just a tad low not really worth trying to change. Your chip MAY have higher timing / again it may be stock! as far as injectors go, I would NOT get the 42.5lb injectors!!! I STRONGLY sugjest the 60lb high Z injectors instead of the 42.5. the 42lb injectors have given some people problems before and everyone loves the 60lb high Z's with great results! plus it gives you room to move. Rich remember this: anything fuel related you want to go bigger and better, It provides room to move up and you know your getting enough fuel.. You'll realy like how the Turbo Tweek chip and the 60lb injectors work together, I know, I have bought them going from stock like you. nice and smooth!!!!!:biggrin:

54Rich, I happen to keep a 55 gallon drum of methanol in my garage...

I guess thats one good thing about long island. We have no 1/4 or 1/8th tack but every station has 93, a few have 100 and theres speed shops in every direction with race fuel. Its like they want us to street race!!

Go with an alky single nozzle and you'll be able to run anything as long as its tuned. Finding meth is the next step!! Good luck!

And seeing as how im just across the river from you I think that will work out just fine....I got you covered!!

I don't see any numbers above far enough off center to even worry about. While IAC of 8 may seem low, it's still working just fine.

What kind of boost are you running?

chip that's in there might have too much timing.

I increased the IAC, it's now 14. Still idles for crap:eek:

All I have is the lame factory gauge that works as good as the tach:eek: It's stock with a unmodifyied rod, so that's a max of 15 at the very most? The knock occurs as I get up in RPM's, although 81 mph is worng, it's close to 70 or so. I think it happens right before 3rd gear.

So, forgive me if I'm way off, but from what I understand, my max 5.4 and 800 on the 02's is a more rich condition, so if that is correct then there's too much timing? If it showed lean, low 02's, then it would be not enough fuel? And how does boost fit into the equation. (learning here;) )

So I think the chip is wrong.

Scot, no cash for the 60's, a great deal on the 42.5's. Since I need to have a chip burnt for either these or the stock injectors, thought it made since for now. With a stock turbo and intercooler the 42.5's should allow me plenty of fuel? Then add ALKY and another chip later down the road. Question is will the 42.5's be enough fuel if I add ALKY and keep the rest as-is? I do have a XP Pump, Hot Wire, and Power Plate.

With the quality of fuel around here, I'll need ALKY for sure. Just wonder how fast I can go without it? Low 13's or better? :confused:

At least I know, there's a drum of meth right across the river;)

At least it's moving on it's own and looks:cool:

Thanks,

Rich

I increased the IAC, it's now 14. Still idles for crap:eek:

All I have is the lame factory gauge that works as good as the tach:eek: It's stock with a unmodifyied rod, so that's a max of 15 at the very most? The knock occurs as I get up in RPM's, although 81 mph is worng, it's close to 70 or so. I think it happens right before 3rd gear.

So, forgive me if I'm way off, but from what I understand, my max 5.4 and 800 on the 02's is a more rich condition, so if that is correct then there's too much timing? If it showed lean, low 02's, then it would be not enough fuel? And how does boost fit into the equation. (learning here;) )

So I think the chip is wrong.

Scot, no cash for the 60's, a great deal on the 42.5's. Since I need to have a chip burnt for either these or the stock injectors, thought it made since for now. With a stock turbo and intercooler the 42.5's should allow me plenty of fuel? Then add ALKY and another chip later down the road. Question is will the 42.5's be enough fuel if I add ALKY and keep the rest as-is? I do have a XP Pump, Hot Wire, and Power Plate.

With the quality of fuel around here, I'll need ALKY for sure. Just wonder how fast I can go without it? Low 13's or better? :confused:

At least I know, there's a drum of meth right across the river;)

At least it's moving on it's own and looks:cool:

Thanks,

Rich
First of all you need to get a fuel pressure gauge and screw it on the end of the fuel rail and make sure you have enough fuel press.. with the car running @ idle take the vacume line off the fuel regulator and it should be set at 42-44lbs. I would not go WOT untill you get the Knock issue taken care of. It could be false knock too, you need to figure that out first. ( Easy test: add NOS octane boost and if it don't knock then it's not false)

The boost Dave is asking about comes into effect when you have more boost than fuel. The stock boost gauge is very inaccurate! you need good gauges to see exactly what your at! normally Knock = Boom! sooner or later.

Rich a great deal on "used" 42.5lb ers could end up costing more in the long run if they don't work right. EXAMPLE: someone I know recently bought some 42lb injectors used and had them sent off to be flowed and matched and was at $300 when he could have bought brand new 60lb for less!!! You've spent the money on the car so far why would you want to skimp on the fuel system that could cost you a motor? If it were me I would drive it around like a granny untill I could afford the right stuff Iv'e been there too.

The 42.5lb injectors will work fine (providing they work good) Like I said before "Alot of people had problems with those" If there good they should work with what you have and even better with the alky because the alky is another form of fuel and it will lower your injector duty cycle.

Scot w.

ahhhhh you poor souls! theres a place like 3-4 miles away that has pump! YES PUMP 106:eek: :biggrin: , last time i put some in was in my big block skylark and it was $4.99 a gallon bout 6 months ago.

93 is available at every gas station

buickbert

"THE MAN" is slowly weaning us off 93 octane. :mad:
I have two stations I go to religiously-both within 5 miles.
They're both big volume stations and I've NEVER had an issue with them in my Regal OR my turbo buggy.