9 inch rear carnage

WINDMILL

well broke the 9 inch aluminum center housing other night with reg street tires...night before had a 1.67 on reg tires,, took it to the street car race at huntsville and broke this...

Attachments

• 100_1282.jpg
    100_1282.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_1290.jpg
    100_1290.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 307
Did you buy that used?
If not that has to be defective.
Regardless I am sorry, that is not going to be cheap...

Dude, I would be a little upset....
That is kind of Strange....is it?

oh i am,,, it would not be so bad but it got trans, the driveshaft has a small place in it, and got the exhaust too....

i had some wheel hop night before, but checked the bolts the next day they was some loose but tighten them up, this happen the 2nd pass next day..did not wheel hop..

First picture is obvious. Yanked all the heli-coils out! :eek:

Question then arrises, why was a "new" unit heli-coiled??

well this is not a bunch of junk parts,,,, so your saying if your car wheel hops any this will happen,,, so everyone that wheel hops has the same problem................ why even stick with a 9 inch ford rear end then..... what would you do when this happens.... this is 33 spline aluminum spool moser housing and axels.... not junk.... also i think all of them is heli-coiled just like aluminum heads too.

well this is not a bunch of junk parts,,,, so your saying if your car wheel hops any this will happen,,, so everyone that wheel hops has the same problem................ why even stick with a 9 inch ford rear end then..... what would you do when this happens.... this is 33 spline aluminum spool moser housing and axels.... not junk.... also i think all of them is heli-coiled just like aluminum heads too.

Didn't realize that. Shows my ignorance.

i dont mean to be a smart azz,,, its just alot of money and time for something for something like this to happen... the rear end stuff is 3 years old, been driveing it off and on for this long.... but it was all new parts when installed..... it got everthing from trans to rearend... and the 3 inch exhaust system too(main part)... prob have to send converter back to ptc to cut open to inspect too... since it hit that hard and shoved the driveshaft in to the trans will have to pull motor to check it out too..... makes you mad enough to sell out...

My buddy ran his Top Sportsman car a few weeks ago on a test and tune at Thompson Dragway. Went 3.97 in the 1/8 at 160 something. Tried the next step up in his engine program and shook the tires...KABOOM:eek:!!! Ripped the tranny completely off the back of the engine.:confused: Tire shake is worse then knock for destroying parts.
Heli-coils are used in every aluminum part for strength and should be used in every cast iron part also. Dull taps leave crappy threads full of stress marks and heli-coils help strengthen even that. Dont be afraid of them.

Lose the aluminum center and get an iron unit. I have never been real kind to rear ends in my life and when I built my Pro Street 409, I debated about the center. I went iron and with my blower engine cranking out 720HP and 680 ftlbs of torque, I am glad I did when I hook the 17 inch wide tires.

:biggrin:

That looks to be a bottom of the line AL center section. I'm do not think it should have been in your car in the first place. If the Moser guy sold it to you shame on him. It doesn't look like a thru bolt case, which is a MUCH stronger design. When shopping for these years ago yours looks like this is more of a road racing street car type setup as it looks like the same.

Sorry for your misfortune.