9-10 Second Build

SRT8

Hey guys
I would like some advice. I have purchased basically a bone stock 1987 GN. My intentions are to have the car run high 9's or low 10's. Since I am new to the Buick scene, I was looking for recommendations on builders?

From what I gathered, Lou Czarnota really knows how to build a solid performance GN. Is he still doing GN work?
Also, is there anyone else you could recommend? I am in the Phila Pa area.
Thanks in advance

Hey guys
I would like some advice. I have purchased basically a bone stock 1987 GN. My intentions are to have the car run high 9's or low 10's. Since I am new to the Buick scene, I was looking for recommendations on builders?

From what I gathered, Lou Czarnota really knows how to build a solid performance GN. Is he still doing GN work?
Thanks in advance

Do some homework .. 9's takes some serious $$$ .. hi 10's no problem , but after that your talking money to keep it reliable

for 9's plan on dumping 10-12K

Sell it and buy a car with quality mods from a reliable source. You'll be lightyears ahead on money and time saved. You have alot to learn. Find an experienced TB guru to help. Bring a fat wallet with you.

$30+k. $5-6k shortblock, $2500-3000 heads/intake, rockers, $1000-1500 valvetrain, turbo $1500, intercooler $1500, wastegate/boost controller $1000, exhaust $800, $1000-1500 fuel system, $2000-3000 engine management, $3000-5000 trans/converter, $800-1200 rear, $1500-2000 wheels/tires, and several thousand more in stuff that isn't mentioned but needed. If you pay someone to do it even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with "~JM~" and "Pronto". Instead of spending thousands of $'s building the "bone stock" into a 10 or 9 sec GN, sell it and buy one that's already built and that has proven it can run these times. That way, you'll have the car you want in much less time it would take to build yours at a much lower cost.

Good luck,

Claude ;)

$30+k. $5-6k shortblock, $2500-3000 heads/intake, rockers, $1000-1500 valvetrain, turbo $1500, intercooler $1500, wastegate/boost controller $1000, exhaust $800, $1000-1500 fuel system, $2000-3000 engine management, $3000-5000 trans/converter, $800-1200 rear, $1500-2000 wheels/tires, and several thousand more in stuff that isn't mentioned but needed. If you pay someone to do it even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou built mine and it's an easy low 10 second car.

And I spent big bucks, he don't come cheap. You'll end up with a very nice car, his attention to detail is mind boggling but you're going to spend a LOT of money to get low 10's, doesn't matter who does the work. Even if you do it yourself.

Last edited:
Hey guys

Thanks in advance
A 9 second ride is deadly. A 9 second G body is even deadlier. Bison said a lot, but don't forget brakes, suspension, good body bushings! And if you're able to go 9's, put a cage in the damn thing while you're at it.

My intentions are to have the car run high 9's or low 10's. Since I am new to the Buick scene, I was looking for recommendations on builders?
you will need more than an engine builder.running a gn in the 9s will require upgrading everything from the front of the car to the back of it.then seat time to get the most out of it.read bisons post I see lots of guys looking for 9 sec rides but it gets pricey quick.

Once you're there , don't forget about the maintenance.

Like I told my buddy who wants a 9 sec car;
How quick can you afford to go?
His goal has now been degraded. Lol

What I've learned from this forum is that it is not real expensive / difficult to take a relatively stock Turbo Buick & modify it to run in the 12 second range.

Any faster requires much more work & money.

cruzperformance.com Don builds my engines, and he's now 1500 miles away and I just crate it up and send the motor to him freight, easy enough. Only reason I got an upgrade after 5 years of racing mid 10's without pulling the motor, I forgot to zip tie my MAP sensor and didn't spray alky on boost. It was time for ported heads anyways.

I'd just do alkycontrol, injectors, turbo tweak chip, fuel regulator, fuel pump and hotwire it, drag radials and have fun. Easy 12's at 25 psi on pump gas and meth. For 9's, you can spend 30-40-50k+ if you want to. Better way to go 9's-10's, buy a C5 Zo6 for 15-20k, turbo it for 10-15k, meth injection, new clutch (1000), 700 hp trans build (3000). Still cheaper than doing it with a Buick.

What I've learned from this forum is that it is not real expensive / difficult to take a relatively stock Turbo Buick & modify it to run in the 12 second range.

Any faster requires much more work & money.

The TTA's can run 12's without adding a single part to them .. Except a paperclip.. But it takes seat time and knowledge of what to look for.

GN's with just E85 conversions can run real real low 12's .. With any upgraded turbo they will run 11's

But then typically the trans will start letting go

We've gone round and round with this very subject for years and years..
High 10's is the practical limit for a street driven GN... After that it takes $ , experience , brains and not in that order

yes buy one already done. its a no brainer if that is the direction u wanna go otherwise ur lookn to spend at least another $25k

The learning curve will be less step on a stock car. Maybe you want to keep that for a little while and get to know the intricacies of them. Then you can sell it and know exactly what you want to buy, right down to the parts you want to see on the car before you buy it.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I really need to think about what I want.
Don't be discouraged, you already have a bad ass car. Like it's been said, learn with the stock stuff and start upgrading. Learn to tune, learn to use a scanmaster, and do a lot of reading. Owning a GN already makes you a bad ass