'89 Turbo TransAm Value - please advise......

69GS400s

My neighbor is the original owner of a pristine '89 TTA - its got just over 5,000 miles on the clock and has never been abused - in fact, I doubt he's ever really beaten on it at all.

EVERYTHING is stock, except the battery. He's got the kit with the paperwork etc...pace car decals never put on. Leather/ T-top car that has always been garaged. Paint is factory fresh, interior mint, Mint, MINT !!

I told him I want first shot at it 3 years ago ... and he's now decided to sell.

He's asking 25K - what is a fair amount to value this car at ??

Please keep the conversation Civil as I'd like to show him this thread.

Since he's gonna read it.....I'd tell him that the car is nice, but it is 16 years old and $15,000 is a very generous offer ;) After he slaps you silly and you wake up, I think somewhere around 21-22k is a fair offer for a mint TTA.

IMO yes, not to slap anyone in the face, but i would have a problem paying 15k for that car. agian its just my opinion. maybe 17.5k at the most.

Somewhere between 18 and 21k. For 25 you could just about buy 2brayans (sp?) low mi. hardtop TTA, if he still has it. He won't get 25.

I payed $16k for my TTA and it only had about 16k miles on it when I bought it. So I would say about $18k-21k would be fair.

Now that I think about it, maybe my first estimate was a little high. Althought the TTA's are way more rare than the GN's, the GN's with the same mileage seem to command more money. With that said, I paid 19,700 for my Astroroof GN with 4700 miles.

It's high, but not extreme. As mentioned, I'd be comfortable at ~20 or a hair less. It would have more value to me if it was a hardtop.

A couple of years ago I paid $24,000 for my 926 mile cloth/HT TTA. Still the most I have heard of paid for one of them. Given the current market for the cars, I can see no justification for his to fetch a higher price. ;) Good luck it sounds like a nice car. I say high teens as there are lots of low mile leather/T top cars around if you look hard enough.

A Genuine THANK-YOU to all who have posted so far....

Please keep the informed information coming !!!

Originally posted by 1badTTA
Honestly, $18-20K
See this, http://indyta.home.insightbb.com/
It is a list of all TTA's sold on E-Bay with mileage and prices.

Interesting link. I just found some cars that fetched more than I paid which makes me feel better. Then again with people turning down bids of $30,000, maybe I should be selling mine. :p

I bought mine on eBay on 1-1-2001, with 5300 miles and all mint condition and all papers and drivers kit, and even had the jacket and collector glasses, paid $14,900. I'd say it would now be worth maybe $18k, but I would not sell it for that. If I were to sell it, I'd ask around $22k now.
Also keep in mind, you know the owner and know the entire history of the car, so that's worth alot as well.

Mine Just turned 10K in mileage. It has no cracks in spoiler or spider webbing on nose. Clean as a whistle all stock. ( not selling it ) but I would be happy to fetch 18K for it.

I do not understand why 87 Gn's that they made over 20,000 units that year sell for what they do.

When more people learn what they missed with the TTA - it will rise up and warrant a higher price. But you must have one before then to be in the game.

Rob, When are you going to get a '69 TA ?

Originally posted by 0to60n4.5
Rob, When are you going to get a '69 TA ?
I would love to get a '69, but I'm out of room, and out of time to maintain another car. And when it really comes down to it, I don't think I want a car any older than the 80's for the next car I get, I love the styling of alot of 60-70's era cars, but they do not ride and handle anything like the cars of the last 20-25 years, and I want to drive them and not look at them...course there is a guy around here that has a 68 Camaro with 4gen f-body suspension and brakes and even an LS1 under the hood...I guess that's an option.

Very interesting thread.

The pricing of these cars can be impacted very much by seasonality. So low millage TTAs sold on Ebay in the winter will bring less than the will in summer. The low milage cars in general have gone up some. I would say this car would be reasonable at 20-22K. If it were a festival car with the same mileage, it would be worth 1-2K more and of course a hardtop is even higher.

2bryans Leather/Hardtop (7K mile) the last time it was on ebay hit 25K in bidding, but did not hit it's reserve at 29,900.

- Dave

I have been watching these posts

and there a lot of guys saying,, well 2 or 3 years ago i paid $$$$$ for mine.

Thats good information, but the values have increased sense then also, we need to keep that in consideration also.

My best guess,,,only a guess from what I have seen advertised,,,again not sold but advertised,,,a fair price IMHO would be $20-22k.

I feel that if any of us is going to buy a nice GN or TTA for under 20k we better be getting it done in the next year or so.

I might be all wet:p but I think all the nice turbo cars will be bringing well into the 20k range in a year or two. The last year they have all increased in value pretty steadily.

Ty

Re: I have been watching these posts

Originally posted by JOHNDEEREGN
I might be all wet:p but I think all the nice turbo cars will be bringing well into the 20k range in a year or two. The last year they have all increased in value pretty steadily.

Ty
Yes they have, even in the last 6 months. I know 2 people locally that have either sold their TTA or are in process of doing so, and they are not or did not even advertise the car and 1 got the asking price and the other is getting all kinds of emails just by word of mouth so far. Both are drivers, not mint show cars and they will fetch $12-14k it appears fairly easily....something I would have not thought they'd bring 6 or 9 months ago.

I agree

Rob-

I agree with you also, both the GNs and the TTAs are starting to increase in leaps and bounds.

Like you say, "drivers" are even commanding 12-14k.

I did a search on hemmings and autotrader and nice TTAs are starting at $24,500 down to like $18,500. Cant get it if we dont ask;)

The nice GNs are also in the high teens and low 20s. With ultra low mile examples going higher than that:D

Ty

I totally agree with the prices rising for the turbo cars. I have been on this site for a few years and never seen the prices people are asking/getting.

TTA will fetch a higher price in the long run.