89 Chevy truck - think I snapped the crank, new engine or new crank?

New crank, new engine or ?

• New GM long block

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Just the parts that are needed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's probably not the crank but something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AZ Vic

Hey all,

I am pretty sure I snapped the front of my crank in my bucket truck. It is a 350 and just stopped running at an idle while I was up in the air. No noise or any thing I didn't even know it stopped until I went to move... turns over with no irregular noise but does not fire. I can wobble the front balancer assembly back and forth - it appears that it snapped the nose of the crank.

I am not sure as I have not tore in to it yet, but if the crank is broken - the question is:

Should I just get a whole new long block from GM?
(I guess about $2k with me doing it)
or

new crank, gaskets, bearings, timing chain, etc. - just fix the parts that are broken?
(I guess about $800-900)

It has about 78k on it ... it is a work truck, but did a lot of sitting. I idle most of the day with it (to operate the pump for my bucket)so the motor is well worn.

I would hate to just fix the parts that are broken to have it burn a head or something 6 months from now. It is my work truck, so I need it to run every day that I need it to. When it is down, like now, it costs me money.

What do you guys think?

Vic

If after you've done a complete diagnosis and determine the engine is toast, the crate motor is really the way to go (IMHO). You get a motor that is warrantied by the manufacturer. I think the warranty is 3 years/50000 miles. Can't beat a warranty like that. Those motors produce varying amounts of HP and torque at a very reasonable price. Since you depend on this vehicle to make money, consider the most economical and practical choice.

If I do the whole engine, I absolutely want to go with a new GM crate motor... I remember seeing one advertised somewhere for 1300 or so... :confused:

Anyone have a good source (read cheap :D) for a new GM crate motor?

Thanks,

Vic

If you lived near me, I'd arrange a jobber price for you and you could pick it up. But to travel to Sac just to get a motor deal would probably cost you more in gas than finding someone in AZ to help you.

Originally posted by Reaper
*cough* big block *cough cough*

Nah...

Not in my bucket truck... stock and easy, less parts to break, better mpg.

Check your email BTW...

gofst - And thanks for the offer on the jobber price, you are right on the gas. What $$ should I be looking for jobber and retail?

Thanks again,

Vic

Originally posted by AZ Vic
Nah...

Not in my bucket truck... stock and easy, less parts to break, better mpg.

Check your email BTW...

Vic

you have mail