'87 Turbo-T vs '98 Z-28 vs '01 Lightning

D

dconnor

All 3 are mine & enlisted a buddy to help me see who was king of my driveway so to speak. There is a VERY nice local backroad testing spot I like to use (~1 mile straight-away from a traffic light) with markers at the 1/8th & 1/4. All races were heads up & we used a stop light to time the launches.

The Buick has quite a few go-fast goodies (11.4's@119.8), but has been severely detuned in anticipation of emissions testing next week. The Camaro is pretty much stock (13.2's@106.5) just has a dronemaster muffler, lid, billet maf ends, free ram air and EGR mods & drag radials. The Lightning is the newest addition to my "stable" (??? @ ???) & has a catback exhaust, blower pulley, chip & a fresh set of 305-45-18 drag radials out back.

Race 1, Lightning vs Camaro:

I'm driving the Lightning & my buddy is driving the Z28... we both dust off the drag radials as the cross light goes yellow then bring up the R's a bit as the cross light turns red. Light flashes green & the Z jumps out about 1/2 car as the Lightning smokes the dr's pretty good & is about 2 ahead when the big red truck finally digs in. The Lightning lunges forward as the tires squall on the edge of breaking loose again & pulled even then PAST the Z in a hurry. Put a solid 3 1/2 to 4 cars on the Z at the 1/8th mile marker when it finally slides into it's powerband & starts creeping back up & the truck starts struggling with it's brick like aerodynamics. 1/4 mile marker flys by with the Z ~1 1/2 cars back & a 13.0 @ 104 flashing on the good 'ol vericomp stuck to the truck's windshield.

Race 2, Turbo-T vs Lightning:

After a quick lunch break we head back down to "the spot"... This time I'm in the Buick & my buddy is driving the lightning. Don't bother with much of a burnout since the 255-60-15"s won't hold ANYTHING & wait for the Lighting to get lined up post John Force smoke show (OUCH! thanks for breaking MY tires in for me Stu!) The crosslight flashes red & I hear the truck rumble as my buddy brings the R's against the converter... Green... and I roll into the throttle hoping for a hint of traction as the truck leaps ahead to a 2 car lead with just a hint of squall from the big dr's. The T's rear end gets a bit loose as the boost kicks in HARD just past the intersection but thankfully doesn't totally boil the radials down (thank you LOOSE suspension!) At the 1/2 shift the T leaps forward with a final SQUAWKKKkkk from the radials then charges forward, quickly eating up the truck's lead. As the buick settles into it's whopping 16lbs of boost pull, I go flying by the truck pulling ahead by ~1 1/2 cars at the 1/8th & a nice 5~6 cars at the 1/4 mile marker. Vericomp was in the Buick this time & flashing 12.5 @ 108... which is about what it would run in race trim on the old combo! :D

Haven't gotten around to a match between the Buick & Z28 yet but figure there wouldn't be much point to it anyways.... lol ;)

Doug C.

dude you suck. you own 3 of the top cars on my dream list. what's it like to have money?

Weeellllllll........

look at it this way. If he can't find a race on Friday or Saturday night he can always go get a friend and race his own stuff. :D

Yea, and no matter what, one of his cars is gonna win!

If the weather permits, I am going to race a friends 00 Z-28 SS, he has a 5 speed, car is stock, or so he says, we'll see.:confused:

Nice Cars! But I can only IMAGINE how high $$$$$$$$ your monthly payments must be on that Lightning & Camaro!:eek:

If you got a MORGAGE on top of that, whew, GOOD LUCK!!

Not rich, just single & make a decent salary :)

The camaro is paid for & my payments on the Lightning are only around $470 a month.

Doug C.