87 Turbo Block Question??

87Turbobee🐝

87 Turbobee
Hello there,I have a Buick 3.8 231 V6 RWD, 1980 Block thats gone south. The block is not repairable so new block, now to move on... I can buy many different blocks from Jegs, ATK Remanufactered engines. Now I have my eye on the 87 turbo block. The thing is, this is in a mini truck and its tight. Can I run this turbo block as a distributor carburetor motor? 8.9 compression ratio i believe, bigger oil return galleries, forged crank , forged rods, stronger block etc? Is this advisible, what problems will i have or run into? etc. I want to put my Offenhauser manifold,500cfm carb,headers,Hei distributor Cheers!

Here's some info on the Buick v6 blocks. The one difference in the blocks for the turbo'd 109 is the turbo drain back hole in the block which you wouldn't need. You might consider the 4.1 block for a NA build. What are your hp goals? I had a friend that put a na buick 3.8 in a Mazda truck. Not alot of info on na builds here but some do it.
http://www.gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html

thanks for the reply, So as far as you know it can be done? Would my manifold bolt up, carb work and distributor bolt in? I'd like 300hp. I've thought about the 4.1 it's available but I've heard its only got a 7.9 compression ratio but a forged crank.

thanks for the reply, So as far as you know it can be done? Would my manifold bolt up, carb work and distributor bolt in? I'd like 300hp. I've thought about the 4.1 it's available but I've heard its only got a 7.9 compression ratio but a forged crank.

Thanks, so I guess my question is...If you had to rebuild your 3.8 NA motor from scratch would you use the 109 turbo block with the forged crank? Why use the 14 bolt when the 20 is available, And maybe down the road you could turbo it.

Again I think it was suggested that you go with a 4.1 if staying N/A . The block is the same dimensions as the 3.8 but you would gain some cubes. The 4.1 came in Buick regals I have one in a 83 . Here is a pic of the 4.1 in one of my regals
E4048E39-AB9C-4433-8058-2DC5C4A3F270.jpeg
5EDEDFF4-75DE-4A05-A4D6-E29326F15414.jpeg

To turbo it "later on" would take a lot of part including an engine harness and ecm. Depends on your intended use and how deep your pockets are. You seem focused on the crank. Any buick v6 crank will work for an na engine. Getting 300 hp will be a stretch. For that effort you could go LS and have over 400.

I have run NA Buick V6's in my Toyota mini truck since 1977. I had an odd fire first, then built 2 3.8 even fires, and now i have two 4.1's with stroker cranks. My spare 4.1 has a flat tappet cam and ported iron heads with T&D rockers and 10-1 compression. My main engine has the same forged crank and JE pistons as the spare, but has GN1 heads, a custom Comp roller cam with 885 lifters, and 10.5-1 compression. It also has a RJC girdle, done after i broke the main webs on my first 4.1 block on a 175 shot of nitrous with a lot of detonation due to inexperience with nitrous tuning. I estimate the GN1 headed engine has 300-325 HP. The iron headed engine feels like 75 HP less. I run a 150 shot now with an MSD box that retards the spark 10 degrees and I use 110 octane race gas for about 450 HP. If you want 300 HP, it will cost a bunch and take 274 cubic inches. If you want a dependable engine, a 3.8 or 4.1 from an NA car with a 14 bolt pan will work fine if your manifold will fit an even fire block. The 109 block uses a 20 bolt pan. All Buick cranks are cast, the turbo cranks have rolled fillets, making them a better choice for a performance build. The 4.1 has the rolled fillet turbo crank also, if you can find a 4.1. Your HEI will work fine in either engine if it's for an even fire with no computor control.