87 Shelby Charger

Well, I got the front spoiler painted and I was putting it on. I guess I should've went ahead and completely installed it before it was painted. Just like you need to shave an intake manifold if you do some serious shaving on the cylinder heads when I cut it back 5" I needed to add about 2 1/2" in the center because it needed to be a little wider. DUH. Oh well, I'm not mister perfect. I already Called Maaco and he said he'll just give me a couple ounces of paint tomorrow. I can feather that little bit in easy enough. I really do like that chinspoiler much more than the Shelby Charger style "air dam". The Shelby thing always looked like an after thought to me as to how it fits over the lower half of the bumper cover and the fenders. It's more subtle.
IMG047.jpg
IMG048.jpg

Do I get to meet you in TX next month Brad?;) No other issues that will keep you from driving it are there?:)

I was thinking of buying some new rims but I thought I'd try to clean up the swiss cheese rims a little better. It's almost impossible to get rid of the micro oxidation on the surface that makes it look like it has spots on the machined finish so I decided to sand the machined finish off and polish them. I also painted the holes with a dark metallic grey. Now I think I'll keep them, the only thing now is I still like RWL tires so I want to get a set of BFG radial TA's. View attachment 156275View attachment 156276
I got a set of 16" pumpers of of an 89 daytona shelby that i crashed one wheel needs repair though they would look bad a$$ on your car......

IMG049.jpg
I'm gonna stick with my polished cheese wheels. I got it touched up. Still need to wait and wetsand/buff/blend in the repair but it looks good in full color.

But will you make it on the power tour this year Brad?;) Wouldn't mind meeting up with you and GNgal afterall.:D:cool:

I have Mopars in the Park the 2nd&3rd of june so I dunno........I'd love to but I'm gonna basically see how the chips fall if I can or not.

Well,the weather let up for the spring car show today. It was still cloudy but at least it wasn't raining. Being my birthday and all today I had a great time. I was so busy answering questions and people telling me stories about the little charger or Omni(which are based on the same platform) they use to have that I didn't even get a chance to walk aroung today, didn't even sit in my chair once. So this was its first show I took it to that had place awards for classes. Mine was placed in the streetrod 1973-1990 class because it's obviously not stock. I certainly was not expecting anything, I still have the seats to get reupholstered for crying out loud so people must've liked something about it.:cool:IMG052.jpgAlso as you can see the show is sponsored by the Gopher state Buick club.

I also forgot to mention that one guy talking to me asked if I wanted an NOS shelby air dam and I said no because that's what this car was to start with. He then said when he had some of these cars he had bought the whole Detomaso 024 body kit......UGH. :mad: Of course I could never find the stuff while I was putting the car together because that's what I really wanted to do in the first place. Oh well, I'm still going to buy the stuff, I'll have the fender flares painted and I will be able to use the quarter window louvres right now, it will look awesome with those on. Back in high school on my yellow/black 024 Omni I had a set of louvres on the quarter windows that I ordered from JC Whitney. They looked pretty good but the style of the Detomaso louvres is of course much better. He also has a new black steering wheel which of course I need anyhow. dying a steering wheel never works, it'll rub off no matter what you do.

I am looking forward to seeing this at car craft so much! I think ive decided that I am 100% sure going to have one of my cars there.

I dug the Turismo out so I took a pic of the two to show the difference between the chin spoiler that I had cut and set back 5" on the Charger and the one I just trimmed to fit ok on the Turismo. You'll also see the body line that I filled on the turismo. I don't know what the reason for having that molded in was for anyway. It should've been smooth just like the rest of the ground effects in the first place.
IMG053.jpg

I went to Rohners to get the faux woodgrain dash pieces I needed and found an old dash mounted tach in the Horizon I grabbed the dash stuff from. The lens is pretty cloudy. I tried polishing it but I think it's yellowed beyond fixing so I'll need to cut a new one to fit out of some clear plastic. It works so that's cool and has a switch to work on 4,6, or 8 cyl.
IMG059.jpg
IMG060.jpg

I got the seats back on Friday. They are awesome. I will admit if there is one expense that really helps finish things off is having seats with some fresh upholstery. It also gives it that new car smell(for a little while anyway).
IMG074.jpg

That looks great. Glad to see you kept the factory L-body seats. They're suprisingly comfortable for being based from an economy car.