87 GN starts great...on second try, only when cold

GNRick

Retired member
When the car is warm it starts right up, but after sitting all night it takes too tries. However if I keep the key to the start position for an extra second, it starts up and the starter doesn't grind (I guess I know just when to let off). When it was hard to start 3 years ago it was the factory MAF, but I replaced it with a translator and LT1 MAF. Car runs fine otherwise. Fuel pressure comes right up even when it doesn't start. Any ideas? Maybe bad gas? Cam sensor out of adjustment? I drive it everyday so the gas hasn't been sitting. Thanks.

Sounds like your good to go. Kind of a complex explanation why the early injected Buicks started this way, but the later Buick V-6's had "Quick Start" system, it has to do with the trigger wheel on the crankshaft for the ignition, the early Buick V-6's sometimes would start within a few degrees of crank rotation, other times it would have to rotate 720 deg. or something like that. It all depended on where the crank stopped at the last shut-off.

Sounds like your good to go. Kind of a complex explanation why the early injected Buicks started this way, but the later Buick V-6's had "Quick Start" system, it has to do with the trigger wheel on the crankshaft for the ignition, the early Buick V-6's sometimes would start within a few degrees of crank rotation, other times it would have to rotate 720 deg. or something like that. It all depended on where the crank stopped at the last shut-off.
No there is definitely something wrong. Today I thought it might not start at all. Didn't get a chance to clean the IAC. After driving it to Staples (about a 10 minute trip) I shut it off, then tried to start it and it fired right up. Made a couple more trips and it started right up each time. Temp has been in the high 20's here...can it be temperature related? Would bad gas exhibit these symptoms?

What happens to the fuel pressure when you first turn to start position? Last spring mine exhibited the same symptoms, after several other things failed to make a difference someone told me to watch the gauge when turning the key. Mine dropped for about 2 seconds then as soon as it came back the engine would fire. Only did this after sitting overnight, explained to me that the pump was getting weak. Fuel was bleeding back into the tank over a period of several hours. I was told the 43 PSI initially was a "false reading" because the injectors were not opening yet. Also i do remember when I pulled the old pump off the rubber hose felt like it was deteriorating. Might have been the hose going bad??? I didn't have the guts to put it all back together and gamble the 4 year old pump was actually good. All I know for sure is a new pump and connecting hose fixed mine. Good luck!

It's a Red's XP pump, only a few months old. FP goes right to 40 when I turn the key.

I figured I would try the easy stuff first before turning the cam sensor and possibly screwing it up. I removed the IAC valve, cleaned it and also the hole where it threads in. I then tried starting the car, but again it took two attempts. It was an improvement over the last time when it took 3 attempts and then ran rich for 10 seconds. This morning I disconnected the MAF. Car started on first attempt, ran for a few seconds and then shut off. It is an LT-1 MAF. When I reconnected the MAF, it took two attempts to start it. I have another MAF from my other car which I will swap in and see if that fixes it.

Rick, it really sounds exactly like what mine was doing. My FP gauge showed 43 psi and I would hear the pump whine but it would not start on the first try when cold. Once I tried the new pump and new hose connecting it to the sender I've never had the issue again. Certainly don't blame you for doing the easy stuff first but it sure sounds like fuel pressure to me. Hope you get it soon, please keep me posted on any progress, I'd love to be wrong on this one. As far as the cam sensor, anything is possible but on 3 TR's and a TTA over the past 25 years, it's never been a loose cam sensor for me. But again, anything IS possible.
Hugh

I know on my nova which sits for periods at a time that I have to turn the key once let the fuel pressure build up turn key off for about 30 seconds to let computer reset so I can turn key on again an fuel pump turns on again then it starts right up. May be fuel pump leaking down like stated before, gauge is showing 43lbs but seems like the lines are not full. When my Buick sits for a while I always turn key on twice to let it build it never have any problems starting. Try that??