87 GN or Old Muscle??

jrich54338

I am in the market for a Summer Toy. I have always had a thing for GN's. What would throw me in the seat more a 87 or something like a 71 Duster with a 340??

thanks

Take a ride in a GN, you won't have any trouble deciding. I've had lots of powerful "old school" cars and nothing compares for the over all package of a turbo Buick.

Turbo,
I know to many people have told me the same thing you just did, what gives though I mean a 340 Duster and a 6 Cylinder that I heard has a little Lag. I also heard when that Lag is over all hell breaks loose, just so hard to comprehend.

Turbo,
I know to many people have told me the same thing you just did, what gives though I mean a 340 Duster and a 6 Cylinder that I heard has a little Lag. I also heard when that Lag is over all hell breaks loose, just so hard to comprehend.

First off, I'm going to suggest you stay away from a Turbo Buick until you do some research - otherwise you will probably hate owning one. Unless you know all the finicky things with the LC2, it can drive you crazy and cost you a lot of money. I always thought a turbo buick was more of a hobby car instead of a toy car, because you will probably spend more time under the hood than in the drivers seat. But it's VERY rewarding, and I've never considered selling mine.

I owned a 340 duster and regret selling it, but it doesn't even compare to a well-tuned buick.

First off, I'm going to suggest you stay away from a Turbo Buick until you do some research - otherwise you will probably hate owning one. Unless you know all the finicky things with the LC2, it can drive you crazy and cost you a lot of money. I always thought a turbo buick was more of a hobby car instead of a toy car, because you will probably spend more time under the hood than in the drivers seat. But it's VERY rewarding, and I've never considered selling mine.

I owned a 340 duster and regret selling it, but it doesn't even compare to a well-tuned buick.

Under the Hood?? Alot of problems with these cars I take it?? I just want one that was garaged during the winters has anywhere from 65,000-85,000 miles on it. When you say well tuned, i dont want to change anything thats stock on it like the turbo. Just something that when my buddy or GF is in the drivers seat they are like WTF is this, thats all

So buy a turn key mint car. They are out there is you have the $$$$$$.

They are reliable if u don't melt the tires each time u take it out. Which is actually hard to do so yea u probably will have some issues at some point. Just as u would would a Duster tho.

Like mentioned earlier, go for a ride in one with some balls and the decision will be easy.

Turbo,

Never really expierienced the infamous "turbo lag". Both my GN's accellerate as rapidly as any V8 I've had mostly, if not more violently when boost and alky are doing their thing:cool: . The only car I've had that was this neck popping was a 69 Fairlane Cobra 428 4 speed, and the T-Top would have whipped it's butt, getting 20 something MPG in the process;)

Fixed.
'69 Chevelle SS 396, Triple Black, 427 L88, M22, AC.
'65 Corvette Conv. Blue/Blue, 327/365, 110% original.
'65 Vette Conv. F.I. Roller 4 bolt 331",17" Boyds, AC.
'31 Steel ProStreet Ford 5 Win. Coupe, 406, 33" M/T.
'80 GMC Cabellero,Black,Nash 4 sp.,406",12 bolt 3.55.
~6 Custom ProStreet Choppers~

I would hope......:biggrin:

I think I might have to move to sunny Fla.......:biggrin:

I spend less time under the hood of my GN than in the drivers seat. This car is built up too. In 8 years of owning this car, I have gotten 1 SES light and that was for a faulty 02 sensor.

If you buy one in good condition and you maintain it, it can be a relatively trouble free car.

Of the thousands of members here, every one of them have said "i'm gonna keep it stock". Just remember that phrase and this paragraph. You will be throwing it at someone else a couple of years from now with one of these at the end....:biggrin:

My last hot rod/hobby/toy car prior to my divorce was a 64 GTO with a 462" Pontiac, turbo 400, 4:11 12 bolt, etc. It was a fast car... and I have had a bunch of GTO's, 442's, and some Chevy's and Ford's. But to think the Buick has half the cubic inches of the 462, and runs like it does, that is VERY impressive!
Nothing I have had so far compares to the GN. A whole different kind of car. I am still learning, but this thing is a riot!

A stock '71 duster 340 is closer to a Fox Mustang in performance than a GN.

To get optimum performance out of both the 340 Duster and the GN, you'll have to run good gas.

With Race gas and tuning and traction, a stock Turbo GN can run low 12's@110 in the 1/4.

A stock 340 Duster isn't going to do that without a bunch of work... or spray.

We got rid of all of our "classic" big block muscle cars, but still have all of my turbos.

kirbans 2 cents worth

While all the above comments are true, here is another prospective. Having bought just over 300 of them over the years and having trailered 90% of them on an open trailer, you would be hard pressed to find another car that gets as much recognition from the public than a Grand National or GNX does.

Its one thing to buy something you enjoy, but adding to the pleasure is knowing how well the car is received among others. Plus unlike some cars the value stays pretty strong with these cars the more stock you keep it.

Other suggestion would be buy it now before summer kicks in and Fast & Furious Movie hits as the values will surely increase for those 2 reasons.

kirbanperformance.com

dennskirban@yahoo.com

as stated above have had quite a few

I wouldn't buy one of these cars because you speculate that its value will go up. What does value mean if everyone is out of work and doesn't have cash? Buy what you like and what will make you happy. If you have friends with both, ask them for rides and see which one you like better. Why does it matter what a board full of TB people recommend? A board full of Mopar people will probably recommend the opposite.

we have had a fleet of Buicks for me, wife, daughter and son .. all mid 11 no brainer DRIVERS :p Enjoy!!
Have room for any red headed step children, Dan, I mind well and I am sort of housebroken.

I am in the market for a Summer Toy. I have always had a thing for GN's. What would throw me in the seat more a 87 or something like a 71 Duster with a 340??

thanks
The GN you can do minimal mods in terms of performance and have it put a smile on your face. The Duster will probably be more eye candy to most but will require even more mods to make it anywhere the stallion of a GN. Plus those Dusters were known to rust so you'll probably end up spending a lot more finding one that's not rusted to death or pay for someone to repair the rust damage for you. Of course the 340 I'm sure is probably easier to work on whereas the GN's sometimes have little electrical gremlins.