87 GN in storage since new

Yes, It would be nice to see some pics!!! Would like to see what all the factory markings & stickers from the factory look like. Would be even nicer if someone would take the initiative to reproduce all the stickers & document factory markings for a restoration guide.

Muratic acid does work well and comes in plastic jugs (may be ok for the baffles?)
but this stuff work well and won't melt your fingers off!
I use it on cycle tanks all the time.

workshop-hero-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-wh290497-64_1000.jpg

Just my 2 cents. (I also own a low miles like new GN that was passed down to me in February of 1990 on my 16th birthday). My dad bought it new and managed to make one round trip drive with us from Brooklyn ny to Disney world in Florida and about 2 Sunday drives before passing away unexpectedly only a few months after he got it back in 1986 new. My mom drove it once to empty whatever gas was leftover in the tank and that was it. She kept it in the garage for me till I was legally old enough to own it. On my 16th birthday she gave me the keys and title for it. (Sorry for the ramble. Talking about this particular GN makes me think about my dad).

So anyway this is literally the only things I did to wake it up after sitting for 4 years without anyone starting or driving it that whole time.

Before I turned the key on:
-the equivalent to the “spring cleaning” that you hear a lot about on here.
-back then the stock fuel pump was all I really knew. So I replaced the fuel pump with a stock pump.
-the inside of the fuel tank was spotless so I just put a new fuel pump, sock, and stock fuel filter.
-the coolant looked like it was brand new but I didn’t feel comfortable with the way the radiator hoses looked so I changed both radiator hoses and heater core hoses. All the vacuum hose looked solid without any dry rot so I left it.
Everything else seemed ok so it was time to bring her back to life so I jumped it with my moms car and she started right up perfectly and so quiet. Only one problem (please watch out for this) the oil idiot light never went off so I quickly shut it off. When I checked the oil filter the only oil that was inside it was the little bit of oil that I poured into the filter itself prior to installing it during the oil change. I went to Automotive high school so I had a lot of help but the problem was that somehow my oil pump lost its prime over the time it was sitting waiting for me to be old enough to have it. So back then Aid auto Stores were known for stocking lots of G-body parts. So I bought an oil pump gasket,packed the pump gears with petroleum jelly and sealed it all back together. Due to my limited special tool supply back in those days I had to disconnect the ecu power wire and crank the engine (hoping that i was starting to build oil pressure). Buttoned it all back together and thank God The oil light went off just as the car started. No damage and knock on wood 28 years later the engine is still running strong.

After I got it running.
-the battery was done so I had to buy a new one. Just another option... the Interstate battery I bought lasted me until 1997 it was the longest lasting battery I ever saw. And I only drove this car on weekends or special occasions (usually prolonged non usage will cause acid to corrode the plates and short out the battery. But this battery hung on for 7 years).

-even tho the tires looked fine my
Mom insisted I get new tires. She was worried about a tire blowout and me being a new driver getting hurt. So we went with BF Gs COMP TA all around. I have to admit they were the best tires I ever drove on. I have no idea why they discontinued making them.

-I don’t remember the year but I got a scan master. Essentially the most valuable mod I own on that car.

-then a few years ago I purchased an Alky kit from Razor and had a turbo tweak 5.7 Alky chip made. And that is my second most valuable mod I own on that car.

Aside from a areomotive fuel pump ,turbo tweak adjustable regulator, and a hot wire kit. The rest of the car is bone stock even the Radio is still the Delco one that came with it.

You have your hands on a true Gem!!!! Seriously keep it all stock. Buy a scanmaster ,fuel pump Hotwire,and an Alky kit. Those really aren’t mods they are necessities that are essential to the longevity of your engine life. And the Alky kit will really wake up that stock turbo and keep the knock away. And it’s really cool because you can make it to light the “power injection” dash light when the alcohol is injecting Into the engine. It’s just really cool I’m my opinion.

Sorry for the ramble. I can’t fall asleep tonight. But I hope it helps.
Have a blessed new year

65psibost;

Great story thank you for sharing. I don't plan on driving the car, I will leave it as is and someday pass it on to another collector.
And, when sharing a story like this, it is not ramble it's refreshing.

Thanks again;

Tony

Hey maybe a little late, but apple cider vinegar works really well cleaning out tanks. Not sure about on plastic, but it's a good option and inexpensive

I forgot to mention, my car came without the left front wheel well molding installed. I didn't notice it until some time later when I had the car at a show. By that time, the dealer could not get the part so it is as it was delivered. The fender has the holes in place but that's it.
The only time I have heard of this, and I am sure it's not the first, was in 1996 a Corvette grand sport was sold and the left side wheel flares were not installed. The person that bought the car put it in storage.

Thanks again all for your feed back and information;

Tony

Well, got the gas tank out today, easy to do. But, lot of junk, rust and the sending unit is coated with junk. I bench tested the pump and junk. Not throwing anything away, but going to install everything new so I can start it as needed.
I am going to try and salvage the sending unit, as it looks like mostly exterior crap, and it did work before I removed the tank.
The rubber fuel lines are great, no issues. But, I am going to flush out the complete fuel line system, and run new fuel thru it via an external pump and fuel can.

If you need a stock GM pump .. let me know .. I have several low mile original pumps with the numbers still on them