87 GN in storage since new

Tonyz

Tony-Z
Hello;

I have been reading the information related to these cars sitting for long periods of time. I know what I need to do, but was looking for the recommended gas tank and fuel pump. The car will remain stock.
I haven't started the car in three years. I did drain the fuel out which was bad, bad. Now I am going to drop the tank and replace the pump and most likely the tank. The car has 28.9 miles on the odometer.
One question I have is what is the "hot wire kit"? Is this something original to the car?

Thanks and Happy New Yew.

Tony

Hey Tony, 28 miles holy cow, nice. No the hot wire kit is not stock to the GN. Its a mod that goes from the alternater back to the fuel tank wiring. Its job is to make sure the power to your fuel pump stays constant so its pretty important mod. Dont want to lose power to pump anytime but especially during boost.

Hate to admit it but at 28 miles I'd make every effort to keep it 100% stock including the crappy stock fuel pump and wiring. Might even keep that damn powermaster since I won't be driving it anyway lol

I completely agree with what ineedagn says. In my opinion, you have an inve$tment grade mu$eum piece collector$ car. Worth a LOT of jack. I would keep it as is . I know, I know , these cars were meant to be driven and $ isn't everything. But, to the right buyer/collector you could sell it and buy another one that has already been built and save the remaining $ for something else ... . You , my friend, have a very rare and desirable piece of Buick history.

Yup. Keep this one as original as possible. Absolute time machine and collectible. People buy those and put them in those inflatible car bubbles. I would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Welcome Tony,
Kirban Performance has a tank and pump for you as well as a hot wire kit if you want to spend a couple hrs. installing it. Removing it would take less time. There are no wires to cut or splice. It uses the factory wiring to trigger a relay that feeds the fuel pump through larger wires straight from the alt charging lug as Gene said.

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/43726/REPRODUCTION+GAS+TANK+#7247.html

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/230/HIGH-PERFORMANCE+IN-TANK+REPLACEMENT+FUEL+PUMP+KIT+#1540.html

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/229/FUEL+PUMP+FEEDER+KIT+#6751.html

www.gbodyparts.com has them as well.
I have not had any problems with them, however others have had trouble receiving the correct parts or receiving no parts at all.

Ok, now for the new guy jabs.
I hope your car hasn't been sitting all this time uncovered out in the grove behind you house.

Probably hasn't been driven because the power master has already failed and no "normal" mechanics can figure it out. Lol

Again, welcome to the fun.

Cheers,
George

Last edited:
I plan on keeping the car original. My thought was to drop the tank, clean it out as best as I can, replace the pump with an original GM pump so I can start it. If necessary, replace the tank. I never throw away original parts, drives my wife nuts because I save them.
The car has always been stored in my shop, on a four post lift with a car cover. I purchased the car from a good friend of mine that owned the dealership. He made arrangements with the transporter to deliver it to my shop instead of his dealership. The car has all of the factory markings on it including the little green stickers on the tires. I will post some photos soon.

Hello;

I have been reading the information related to these cars sitting for long periods of time. I know what I need to do, but was looking for the recommended gas tank and fuel pump. The car will remain stock.
I haven't started the car in three years. I did drain the fuel out which was bad, bad. Now I am going to drop the tank and replace the pump and most likely the tank. The car has 28.9 miles on the odometer.
One question I have is what is the "hot wire kit"? Is this something original to the car?

Thanks and Happy New Yew.

Tony
That's a pretty cool story Tony I am William I'm the guy that found the twins the 2 87s that were stored since 87 we didn't have to do anything to them other than drain the old fuel out put new fuel in and batteries hopefully you'll be that lucky good luck and feel free to call me if you need any help 405-361-5362

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Tonyz you should contact Glen at Highway Stars. When it comes to super low mile original Grand Nationals and NOS parts, Glen is the expert.

Well, got the gas tank out today, easy to do. But, lot of junk, rust and the sending unit is coated with junk. I bench tested the pump and junk. Not throwing anything away, but going to install everything new so I can start it as needed.
I am going to try and salvage the sending unit, as it looks like mostly exterior crap, and it did work before I removed the tank.
The rubber fuel lines are great, no issues. But, I am going to flush out the complete fuel line system, and run new fuel thru it via an external pump and fuel can.

Well, got the gas tank out today, easy to do. But, lot of junk, rust and the sending unit is coated with junk. I bench tested the pump and junk. Not throwing anything away, but going to install everything new so I can start it as needed.
I am going to try and salvage the sending unit, as it looks like mostly exterior crap, and it did work before I removed the tank.
The rubber fuel lines are great, no issues. But, I am going to flush out the complete fuel line system, and run new fuel thru it via an external pump and fuel can.
When I would do restoration on old cars I would put lots of small rocks in the tank with some gas and move all around. It beaks up the loose rust/dirt or anything that should not be in there.
Then I put a coating to seal it .
But only if it licked would a put the coating.

I was thinking about that. Something I am going to try is CLR, but I am going to test it on some different plastics. An old trick to, is use Coca Cola or Pepsi. It will take a lot but, it may be worth a try. I have done it on old tools and worked good.

I was thinking about that. Something I am going to try is CLR, but I am going to test it on some different plastics. An old trick to, is use Coca Cola or Pepsi. It will take a lot but, it may be worth a try. I have done it on old tools and worked good.
Yes I've used coke(drink) on a 69 camaro.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'm going to dump some in tomorrow and see how it does. Meantime, I'll run some tests on the CLR.