87 Gn Engine Transplant Into 84 T-type

Bumping an old thread because I recently found a clean 84 t-type for sale.

Is it worth the time to put an 86-87 engine in an 84? Is the rest of the car as well built? Suspension, transmission, rear end, etc...
I am in the market for a cold air car and this brown t-type has me wondering. Goal is to have a mid 11 sec RELIABLE daily driver.
Hell yeah. It's just so much better and more reliable all around, IMO.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Curious as to all the little things that are needed to be done for this to be successful. My hang up is: will I have more money in this '84 putting an '87 setup in it vs just holding off for a decent 86-87.

Curious as to all the little things that are needed to be done for this to be successful. My hang up is: will I have more money in this '84 putting an '87 setup in it vs just holding off for a decent 86-87.
I'd just hold out for a decent 86/87 if you're worried about that.

If you can get a really good deal on a hot air car, and don't mind changing just about everything but the block, I'd say do it. That said, it IS a lot easier to just get an 87.

If you're in it for the money, then hold out. If you want something different, do it. I did exactly what you are asking about and don't regret it. But i'm not interested in what its worth.

Depending on the year of the car/dash harness and year of the engine harness, the electric fan may or may not work. Some post that they had no issues, some have had issues. The problem is whether the fan relay has a hot signal from the ignition switch. The load will be carried by the fusible links down at the starter (on the engine harness) but the relay might be missing the ignition hot signal. In this case, it's far easier to run a jumper wire from the evap purge solenoid (key on hot) to the fan relay than it is to swap the dash harness. 'Least that's how I fixed it.

I want some pics of that brown beauty. Is it briar brown? If so it's a rare-ass color in a T-type. But it's not the only one :)

13090143_10101804200105761_1087872460_n.jpg

13059765_10101804200045881_1111919843_n.jpg

13077152_10101804199936101_875534019_n.jpg

13081673_10101804199831311_1211901606_n.jpg

If you can get the 84 for a decent price it's worth converting.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm not so worried about value once its done, more concerned with cost to get to my goals. My thinking is this...say I get this car for $4000, I can have a motor ($3-4k), tranny upgraded ($2k), rear dif rebuilt for limited slip (not sure on price) and end up having a fresh, solidly built TR for around $10k...other costs will come into play but most of those I will do on an 86-87 car that cost me $10k to begin with. not to mention that $2,000 for a transmission will be needed for an 86-87 car more than likely at the power I'm planning to run.

I have some pretty good resources one of which would be willing to trade misc 86-87 parts and labor for the hot air motor. I don't have myself completely talked into it because id like to know as much as possible about the details before I make up my mind. I got so burned on my 87 GN I bought supposedly with a new motor and tranny ready to go and I ended up blowing the motor (that was poorly built) and had sick KR when shifting from 2-3 so ended up yanking the tranny and having it rebuilt...that car has me paranoid and just makes me think I'm going to have to rebuild any TR I buy.

I appreciate all the info thus far guys thanks a bunch. Things like the fan relay are really nice to know but if that's the trickiest part of the swap then I'm in lol.

Do my numbers seem out of line to you all? I would think $4k could get me a pretty nice motor and I know what a tranny rebuild goes for around here. What about the rear dif?

No need to yank the old hotair motor. Just pull everything off the front and the top and bolt the 87 stuff on. Then take care of the wiring.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yes it's factory color, and 1984 only. I bought this car out of Texas as a roller and put an 86 setup in it. It's mostly a bolt in but there's a few bumps in the road

That's pretty sweet. I love seeing those rare cars like that. I knew an Islander cat in bremerton, WA that had an 82 GN with an 86 drivetrain in it, it was cooler than shit.

what type of value would you guys put on that 84 t-type? 100,000 miles, no mods, the guy said it would drive the 2 hours back to my place no problems. I grilled him on the small things and he said the only thing that doesnt work is the dash lights. One bad thing is he has only had the car for about 6 months and it has sat at least half that time.

Last edited:
Honesty if you have a complete, stock, and well preserved car like that, I wouldn't convert it. Leave well enough alone.

Does it have any rust? Bumper fillers brittle?

Seller said no rust and bumper fillers are in great shape. Its a few hours away from me so I havnt seen it in person.