86 V8 Limited Trans swap into an 87 T

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have a good lead on an '86 Regal Limited with 25k miles on it. It's totaled (hard front hit) so we're probably going to part it out. The trans in my brother's 120k-mile '87 T is slipping, the trans in this Limited is obviously in great shape. Am I correct in assuming that if I were to swap the valve body, governor and 1-2 servo from the T over to the Limited trans that I would then have a 25k-mile BRF trans? We'd then only be have the cost of a gasket/seal kit versus a rebuild of the T trans.

TIA,
Jim

Thanks for the replies. I have CK's manual, but I wanted to first make sure that swapping over the VB, governor and 1-2 servo from our slipping BRF trans would make this V8 trans a 'turbo' trans. If my assumption is correct, it makes buying this wreck worthwhile. Otherwise we're going to let it go.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
Jim

Essentially...

You may want to swap the accumulator and the valving/regulators in the pump.

You mentioned a seal kit... putting that in basically requires a full rebuild (as you will have discovered from Chris's book), including the need for the special tool for the low reverse clutch housing.
Instead, I'd consider a set of hardened pump rings and the pump return passage mod but skip the seals... if it is truly a low mileage tranny.

A. G. Olphart said:
Essentially...

You may want to swap the accumulator and the valving/regulators in the pump.

You mentioned a seal kit... putting that in basically requires a full rebuild (as you will have discovered from Chris's book), including the need for the special tool for the low reverse clutch housing.
Instead, I'd consider a set of hardened pump rings and the pump return passage mod but skip the seals... if it is truly a low mileage tranny.

I was going to buy the seal kit so I'd be able to replace just those seals affected by swapping out the aforementioned parts (like the pan gasket, separatoer plate gaskets, random o-rings and whatnot.

The point of the exercise is to avoid a full rebuild on a perfectly good trans but also have it behave like a 'BRF' trans (i.e., have our cake and eat it too).

Thanks for the advice!

Jim

yes

To answer your original post, Yes, switch out the parts and you will have a BRF trans, without the BRF stamped on the case.

Lee Thompson said:
To answer your original post, Yes, switch out the parts and you will have a BRF trans, without the BRF stamped on the case.

That's what I was hoping. Thanks!

Jim