'86 T-type no spark

ttypetex

Fired up car, first time in ten years. Had to change fuel pump first since was not pumping gas. Started but was rough idling. Smoothed out some after running ten minutes or so.

When dropped tank to change f/p, got rid of all old gas. After buttoning up everything, poured in some Techron mixed with new gas. Started up and was going to let run for a long time to clean injectors. Car seemed considerably smoother after a few minutes running. After about 30 minutes, car just stopped running abruptly.

Now cranks, but no start or even sputter. Have good fuel pressure per guage on fuel rail. Have no spark when grounding plug (just checked #4 and #5, assuming the rest are same). Coil secondary measures ~ 12k ohms across 1-4, 2-5, 3-6. Secondary appears good.

Cannot find any open fuses on fuse block. Voltage getting across fusible link alright.

Any suggestions where to check now? Thanks.

Cam sensor gives the ign module the "go ahead" before module fires the coils. Crank sensor sends the ign module a signal and then the module sends a signal to the computer to give it the "go ahead" to fire injectors. If you have injector pulse and no fire suspect cam sensor or module. If there's no spark or injector pulse suspect crank sensor or module.

Cam sensor gives the ign module the "go ahead" before module fires the coils. Crank sensor sends the ign module a signal and then the module sends a signal to the computer to give it the "go ahead" to fire injectors. If you have injector pulse and no fire suspect cam sensor or module. If there's no spark or injector pulse suspect crank sensor or module.

Thank you. Please forgive my ignorance, it has been a long, long time since I've worked on this car. I know the crank sensor is on the bottom near the harmonic balancer. Now the cam sensor, is that up and toward the front of the engine?

"Ignition module","module",.....are you talking about the electronic spark control (esc) module on passenger side, rear most of three modules, says "BLO" on it?

Would like to check for injector pulse. Assume would have to remove one of the injector leads to check for voltage. Also, would have to use analog vom to see a quick voltage pulse? Don't think my dvm would be quick enough to see it. Also, how in the world do you unclip those injector terminals? Don't want to break that plastic. However, my plugs are wet after turn over, so think that injectors are probably being pulsed.

Ok. After some study, I understand you are talking about the module directly under the coil packs and which has the 14 pin connector. Thanks. That ESC module I mentioned is for knock control, I found out.

Now must figure out how to test cam sensor to prove signaling........

Bad ignition module (bolted on directly below coil packs). Replaced with one from O'Reillys. Working great.

If you have this problem, see:

Vortex Buicks

Wonderful site for "no start" troubleshooting and other stuff.

I thought I had the same issue, but the new module didn't do it.