86 GN vs. 87 GN............

bincitybandit

Can someone tell me the specific differences between a 1986 Grand National and a 1987 Grand National?...........

I have a 1984 GN..............I know the '84s and '85s were hot air engines, while the '86s and '87s were intercooled...........other than the fact that there were about twice as many '87s produced, what sets them apart from the '86 model GN's? I know that '87s are the most valuable, just wondering why........other than the fact that was the last year of production. I've been dealing on an '86 that I really like, but it seems to me that they want the price of an '87......................

They are pretty much identical cars. The only differences I'm aware of is the grill, color of the door pull straps, the size of the cruise control servo, no electroic climate control available in 87', there is a heat shield bolted to the back of the right head on the 87's that the 86's do not have, and the 87's use a plastic retainer on the ECM wiring harness connectors where the 86's use a metal retainer, yellow BRF tag on the trans for 87, blue for 86.

1.) 1986 had chrome style grill strip at the top, 1987 is all black.
2.) door pulls were black in 1986 and grey on 1987.
3.) chip was different and 1987s had a better cold start program in them.
4.) the oil cooler lines were rubber in 1986 and braided cloth in 1987.
5.) the fuel pump wiring was improved in 1987.
6.) the front coil springs 1986 were a little softer.
7.) power steering reservoir was revised in 1987.
8.) something about the cruise control was different in 1987 vs. 1986 but cant remember exactly what it was.
9.) 1986 GN could be ordered with electronic climate control. in 1987 it wasnt available.

All things being equal......condition, mileage, modifications.....value wise I think they should be fairly even. 87's tend to command a little more even though a LOT more were produced.

Rpo?

my 1987 g/n has electronic climate control on it.

ive seen few myself but they were drop ins and one was vip owner of a buick dealership so he got to order his they way he liked .. But it would be interesting to see the rpo .

someone may have installed it but it wasnt available as a factory option. post a copy of ur RPO code.

I wish I had the RPO sticker...some idiot must have ground it off when they primered it, And, I bought an invoice from GM Archives and there are very few options listed on there. It has the twilight sentinel also and that's not showing up on the invoice either! I'd like to find the guy that took off the RPO. Also, the ship date on the car 10/10/87 !

Hagerty collector car online site, shows an all around general average price for an 86 GN to be $15,494 and a general comparable average
price for an 87 Gn to be $18,992.
That seems too far apart in price from what I have seen, although the 87's in general do bring a little better price than a comparable 86.
Their site is
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools

Other than the differences noted above, of the 86's I've seen (not that many) seems to me the 86's had a tad bit better fit and finish and sat just a hair lower than the 87. Can anyone confirm?

Hagerty collector car online site, shows an all around general average price for an 86 GN to be $15,494 and a general comparable average
price for an 87 Gn to be $18,992.
That seems too far apart in price from what I have seen, although the 87's in general do bring a little better price than a comparable 86.
Their site is
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools
I agree. Something seems off with the sizable difference in pricing. 86 and 87 are basically the same car except for a few minor differences.You'd think the 86 values would be slightly higher considering they only made 5,512 compared to 20,193 in 87.