86 442

6APPEAL

I found a nice 86 442 with 96K miles. The 6500 asking price seems kinda steep. Anyone have any idea what the REAL value of one of these cars is worth? KBB and the other sites seem to place the value around 3000. TIA

For $6500. you should be able to find a nice 86 t type or gn and have a much faster car.

Unless it's show room condition,but with that kind of miles I dout it. I think it's also high, or the seller is one of the too.:D If it's in really, really good condition, maybe 5000. Has he done a lot of work to it, or customized it at all??

3 or 4k sounds about right. they are nothing special just like a monte ss all looks & no balls..

I laugh when I see car trader online & some guysa are asking 12k
for those car in really really mint shape.

hell my 21k miles GN would be hard pressed to fetch 12 or 13k

hey hey, i defend you buick guys. 442 no balls compared to a GN but still a better car over a regular cutlass.

There is one for sale about 1/4 mile from me with 200k on the car and 40k on the engine. Sign in the window says "make offer". Since its a pretty decent "10ft car" with nice inter I bet ~1200 bucks would drive it home.

IMO 6500 for one is a crack smoking owner. Maybe if it was one paint chip away from mint but any worse and Id say pass on it.

A bud of mine picked one up with a dead trans for $250 just so he could yank the rear diff so they can be had cheap IMO.

Got one here locally on one of those "we tote the note" lots and the sign in the window says $7700:eek: It does not even have the original paint and when they repainted it the 442 decals were not replaced......$6500 seems a little on the high side. Coptzr on this board had one for sale for $2500 sometime back and I think he still has it. Sorry to rant:D

The car is not for me. My wife likes the car. If I had my way I would turbo 6 it or pack it with a 455 Olds big block.

She has gotten to where she doesn't like all the attention driving a GN gets her from the young, dumba$$, I want to race anything and everything crowd (of course they are always driving a Mustang or import).

49-blues, I just got down to 2 turbo cars from having 5. I'm not really interested in buying another one. Besides, with a baby coming due by the end of the month my wife really, really, really wants a 2004 Regal GS with the supercharged motor. You know 4 doors and boost :p ;) :D !!!

My old '87 442 was running low 13's when I sold it (no bottle or other "adders" and still retaining the "sorta original" 307 ;) ). Not exactly an 11 second car.....but quick enough to give most "near stock" Turbo Regals a run for their money! :eek:
ANYWAY........lol
Yea...that price is kinda steep. Under 100k miles is a plus, but that car had better be damn clean for $6k! About half that for a "generic" '86 442.....maybe a few more $$$ for the "relatively" low milage.
How firm is his price?

I just noticed you are in Pearl also....coincidence??????? Then I noticed your user name....and said to myself...hey I've seen a personalized tag on a GN that says that. Is the 442 the one over at the used car lot or private seller. ;)

Being a Big Block g-body cutlass owner myself, you could'nt ask for more of a torque monster:D

6pack, Yes I belong to the 2 cars you see running around in Pearl. 6APPEAL on an 87 GN or 6APEAL on 86 GN. That was one of 3 442's I found, but not the one I was referring to. The other car was (now sold) had by a private seller in Madison. A buddy at work told me about the car. The guy had a fit when I pulled up in a GN to look at the 442. Said he always wanted a GN. He had the car for his daughter to drive to high school. He was selling it to buy his daughter a new car for an early graduation present.

The search continues for a vehicle my wife will like.;)

'87 442 was running low 13's when I sold it (no bottle or other "adders" and still retaining the "sorta original" 307

Wow that's quite an accomplishment for the 307. My 403 was a good motor with some good torque. What did you do the 307? I'm sure the guys over on ROP would be very interested in it.