85 heads, intake, cam, cam sensor... work on a 79?

Well its been laying on the garage floor for about 10 years now, so... not a damn thing:biggrin: You looking to fix one?

im looking to copy and improve one.

I have been searching for a broken ESC box for years. Im an electronics tech by trade so I know I can backwards engineer a unit for a more standard performance use.

A.j.

I have been searching for a broken ESC box for years. Im an electronics tech by trade so I know I can backwards engineer a unit for a more standard performance use.

A.j.

Well PM me a price for the cheapest and I do mean the cheapest stock one you have... do I get a discount for the old one?:biggrin:

A.j.

Ohh NOOOO
I'm goingto get your assistance on something now that you just informed us of that A.j.

Well PM me a price for the cheapest and I do mean the cheapest stock one you have... do I get a discount for the old one?:biggrin:

LMAO... sure, I will cut ya a deal. did you need a distributor as well?

Ohh NOOOO
I'm goingto get your assistance on something now that you just informed us of that A.j.

sure Boss, anything you need you got it.

lol.... I thought I had told ya that Adam, well I mostly do nuclear effects/anti-terrorism work so all of the glory goes to those (especially for the girls) but electronics is where my degrees lie.
Charlie was mentioning that you were on the texting world as well.... I wish I had known, I can fill ya in on the "hybrid drawthru assult" as you put it so well....LOL

A.j.

Well now that Aj, Adam, and I have each others numbers we can keep up with each other a little better. This is a good thing except when the both of you text me at the same time. LOL.

Well now that Aj, Adam, and I have each others numbers we can keep up with each other a little better. This is a good thing except when the both of you text me at the same time. LOL.

well you always did like a little double team didnt you!

:eek::biggrin:A.j.

What about my 85 heads, would they be any better than the 79 heads? I think there identical, so I don`t know and would the 85 cam be better to use with the drawthru setup? The cam in the 79 motor now is the stock one from the original stock 78 motor:eek: I did have a brand new cam for the 79 turbo setup, but it was stolen with the other stuff:mad:

The 85 heads should be relatively the same as the earlier ones, but are slightly stonger and more resistant to blowing head gaskets.

The 85 cam would be better than the exsisting carb cam, even stepping up to a 86/87 cam would be great, but as flat tappets are so cheap, why not spend the few extra dollars and get a P.A.W. or melling cam.

A.j.

I was going to get a better cam, but with all the other stuff I have to get, I just can`t afford it right now... I want to try a blowthru setup sometime next year, so I will get one then.

I think at minimum for blowthru a '86-'87 gn/t-type cam is required, I wouldn't waste with a '78-'85 factory turbo cam. They just dont really let the engine rev enough, well hell the '86-'87 cam don't rev real high either but it's alot better than all the ones before. Especially if all these sfi engine guy are reaching 10s with all their mods and still running the stock cam.

I forgot to add that if you find one it is usually always relatively cheap. and it requires nothing special, and no mods to install. It's easy the valve train but I would still replace the valve springs if you ran the camshaft.

Do some searching on evilbay and you may find one that will work fairly cheap. Just make sure that you have more duration and lift on the exhaust. This will help load the exhaust better for the turbo to work better. As far as the clearance for the valve lift you can go up to .458 max and not have a problem but if you have the heads off I'd go ahead and cut the guides to the nub just in case you want to go with a larger cam later.

Oh yeah, I just remembered I have a stock 86-87 gn cam sittin on the shelf with the lifters all in order in a box:rolleyes: