85 heads, intake, cam, cam sensor... work on a 79?

it wont work it need to be converted. look for a website that tell you how i think chevy high performance had an article on it. you really need a 87 turbo for the conversion. the block has to be drilled and taped in the front so the turbo oil can be returned. you dont want the throttle body for the blewthru setup thats why you need the 87 turbo and you can even put a intercooler on.

I'm seeing it this way:
- A draw-thru would be the easiest route....carb, turbo and intake. (I believe he can use the 85 manifolds?)
- Next step would a blow-thru carb setup. That'll require carb & fuel system upgrades, and lots of fine tuning, requiring a wide-band air/fuel monitor. All that could cost you another grand.
- An efi swap would require the computer and related harnesses, sensors, and other components. Cost would be prohibitive, unless you could get everything from a parts car.

I've been wondering if a 86-87 turbo setup (ex manifolds & turbo) would work with a carb....turbo in 86-7 location, add an early carb plenum to the turbo inlet, and plumb it a foot or so to the intake. Thoughts?

Turbo needs a Carbon seal for Drawthru Walt. Fuel needs to be as close to the intake manifold as possible for response and fuel atomization.

I have a edelbrock Q-jet carb, I dont think that would work for blowthru... right?

You could use it but you'll be happier geting a Holley and modifying it. They work much better for a blow through.:smile: Ask Adam if you don't believe me.

You have most of the parts for the draw through so it would be the easiest to do. Not the most power but you can start with this and then plan to do the mods to blow through later.

Sry... was gone helping my friend move all-night. Sounds like I should have kept my old Holly Q-jet I had years ago:biggrin: So I could use the Edel with the drawthru(since I have it) and that will last me through the summer car shows... Dream Cruise in Detroit and Back to the Bricks in Flint... real car shows, not bling shows like SEMA:biggrin: The only time you can do burnouts and donuts in the middle of the street, in front of the pigs and they cant say s**t about it:biggrin: hell they love it:eek: Then ill get to the sirius stuff after that. I might try the blowthru next, maybe a twin turbo:D Then when I find a stable job(if that exist anymore) I will go for the 87 I/C SFI conversion:biggrin: I can use the 85 heads, cam and turbo... I think? and yes, the manifolds should fit.

Sry... was gone helping my friend move all-night. Sounds like I should have kept my old Holly Q-jet I had years ago:biggrin: So I could use the Edel with the drawthru(since I have it) and that will last me through the summer car shows... Dream Cruise in Detroit and Back to the Bricks in Flint... real car shows, not bling shows like SEMA:biggrin: The only time you can do burnouts and donuts in the middle of the street, in front of the pigs and they cant say s**t about it:biggrin: hell they love it:eek: Then ill get to the sirius stuff after that. I might try the blowthru next, maybe a twin turbo:D Then when I find a stable job(if that exist anymore) I will go for the 87 I/C SFI conversion:biggrin:

This should give you a better idea of the differences in the NA carb and the turbo carb. The base is the only difference between them. The power valve is isolated. You can make a base out of an electronic carb base because they don't use the vac opperated power valve. I need to update the carb thread but I hate the cold and I've been sufering a sinus infection so I really don't feel like geting out in any kind of weather. If you can't figure out the differences I'll see if I can find the carb thread so you can see the differences.:smile:

Attachments

• DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN0011.jpg
    DSCN0011.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 87
Blast from the past:biggrin: I remember that now, my old 2b turbo carb was like that. Wouldn't happen to have a spare one then would ya charlie?:biggrin:

Blast from the past:biggrin: I remember that now, my old 2b turbo carb was like that. Wouldn't happen to have a spare one then would ya charlie?:biggrin:

Well I've got 1 spare bottom but it's going on an 800 CFM carb that's promissed to Aj.:biggrin: I've got an E4ME base that I can modify just as easily to work without any problem if you are interested though.:smile:

Well I`m going to need it, so add it to my tab for Jan:biggrin: oh... did you ever find a rear window trim? And idk what is on the side of the turbo/carb mount, it looks like maybe it was a air/fuel mix or knock sensor gauge. its broke, but you can see it in the pic... black with dark brass around it.

I know exatcly where the trim is but I haven't taken the time to go look at it. I'll see about gettin on the mods for the base plate for you in the next week. If I get lucky I'll do them on Wensday but we'll see how the weather holds up. As far as the thing on the side of the plenum it looks like the PEVR valve. Good luck locating one of them. I've been trying to find one for over 2 years now.

Ok, cool. Thanks:D Cold? In Texas? Its like 20 out here:eek: Me and my friend almost froze to death in the garage last night:D Do I even really need the PEVR valve?

If it's below 60 I can't stand it. I freeze my but off. I prefer it over 80 and if it's 100 I'm still fine. I just can't stand the cold. Have a good night. I have a few more emails to answer and then I'm done.

That`s why I want to go back to FL(was there '99-'05) and get the F out of this dump I live inn. GM is almost totally gone now, other than the truck plant, the Buick engine plant and now their building the Chevy Volt engine plant, but barley anyone can get a job there:( anyway, night, I gotta get up in 5hrs:biggrin:

I have 3 complete draw through systems, all with options.

stock... 700 bucks, comes with gaskets and ESC
modified... 900 bucks comes with holley 4bbl already boost referenced.
racing... 1000 bucks, comes with 4bbl manifold adapter and modifed up and down pipes, harness adapter for 5 pin HEI and MSD BTM6, esc, holley brc.

Lemme know.

A.j.