85 gn

MrSharky

I see lots of 86 and 87 GNs for sale but not many 85s. Well, I found an 85 with 54,000 mile for $8,500. My question is this; is the 85 a lesser car than the 86 and 87 and if so why?

diffferance from what i've learned

older are hot air not cold air, not sure about the rest but i'm sure someone on here does. as for price it depends on how well it is, if you love it then it's all you. i paid 10K for my car and even though it wasn't perfect i still love it and plan on keeping it in the family for many many years. also the cold air is what alot of people are looking for. as for alot being available we all know it's hard to make it these days. maybe there are alot of people who think it's time to sell their buick.

older are hot air not cold air, not sure about the rest but i'm sure someone on here does. as for price it depends on how well it is, if you love it then it's all you. i paid 10K for my car and even though it wasn't perfect i still love it and plan on keeping it in the family for many many years. also the cold air is what alot of people are looking for. as for alot being available we all know it's hard to make it these days. maybe there are alot of people who think it's time to sell their buick.

Unfortunately, you are right; it's hard out here in 2009. That is why I want to make an educated purchase and am asking for help. Thank you for your reply.

good luck

with the economy the way it is, just use common sense when buying and expect to have issues with it regardless of how low mileage and maintenance. don't take the sellers word for what they have said they have had done. if they have receipts and know the shop well then you may ask if you can talk to the manager or head mechanic and ask them what work they have done on the car ( that may not help because the shop manager and mechanic may be the sellers drinking buddies ). anyone can say they put this cam in it so and so rockerarms, and all kinds of stuff. It just depends on what it really looks like. get under the car and make sure there isn't any rust in the normal places, under the doors, fenderwells, and quarterpanels. run a car fax or subscribe to it, i know you can get one for about 20.00 and run 3 vins on it. if it's a true GN it'll have HP in the vin number as for a T type i'm not sure how to tell a true one but i know there is alot of info on this website. If you take on a project expect it to sit while you find parts, install them and all kinds of other headaches and prices you'll be spending on them. just like any member on this forum will tell you, these cars aren't really for daily drivers unless you really know your stuff. if your looking for a car that'll beat most of the cars on the street expect some down time as we all have it. i have a 95 isuzu pickup that isn't all that but it's my daily driver and when i want to turn heads or have fun driving then i pull out the GN. it sits more then i drive it but regardless it's mine. look outside your area and you may find one a few hundred miles away you can trailer in just incase it breaks down if you try to drive it back. there are alot of good guys on here and ask for someone in your area that may be able to help you find a reasonable mechanic and help you with pointers. before you buy it take pics and ask on this forum, several potential buyers do and get honest answers. alot more honest then most sellers out there of these cars or any cars period. do some research and don't buy it because it has a nice paint job or fancy rims. neither will help you when your broke down on the side of the road. get an alarm and a good one because these cars are easy to steal and alot of people like them. when i drive my car i get atleast 2-3 people who compliment me on it. makes me smile and just watch your back because as rare as these cars are in good condition people know what they are and jackers will follow you home to find out where you live and try and take it. More then anything if you have any experiance on how to work on cars then give it a good going over. wouldn't hurt to have someone put it on a machine to see how all the cylinders are running and do leak down test and other diagnostics to help you know what the weak points are. i went over 300 miles to check out one that a guy was selling and it was a rust bucket. he still wanted 5500 for it and it ran good, interior was ok but the rust alone and other knicknacks would have put me at or above 10K that i spent on the car i have. The way i saw it i spent 10K on a car that needed nothing other then some touchup paint here and there and shocks. So shop around spend wisely and read up on previous posts. i see there aren't alot of responses on your post but i think this subject has been covered alot before your post. and as i stated GOOD LUCK a good TB in good shape at a good price is hard to find.