85 gn

MrSharky

I see lots of 86 and 87 GNs for sale but not many 85s. Well, I found an 85 with 54,000 mile for $8,500. My question is this; is the 85 a lesser car than the 86 and 87 and if so why?

They are a (Hot Air) car, meaning they are not intercooled like the 86-87 models, they have less hp because of this, and take more $$ to go fast compared to and 86-87.

They are a (Hot Air) car, meaning they are not intercooled like the 86-87 models, they have less hp because of this, and take more $$ to go fast compared to and 86-87.

Thank you for responding. If I purchase this 85 GN with the sole intention of modifying the engine and drive train, what would be the modification differences, compared to the intercooled 86-87 GNs? Would it be better to just buy an 86-87? I,e; does the 85 have any redeeming points?

The main difference is the exhaust system and the intake set-up. Many convert to 86-87 set-up's (computer control and ignition too). There is really no difference from that point on. Some may say the 86-87 parts themselves (crank, blocks, etc) are a little stronger and that may be the only real difference.

If you are talking a mild street type bolt on build then the conversion may be your best bet. The hot air cars do perform but parts are harder to find and that is why I say the conversion may be best. It may even increase your resale for "driver" quality cars but they still won't bring as much as the 86-87's will.

For the serious, high dollar max performance build then there is no difference because with either one you will be replacing everything anyway. ;):D

You are NUTS if you spend that kind of money on an '85.

The only cars to buy are the 86/87 cars... ESPECIALLY for that kind of money. The 85 and older cars are completely different animals and generally nobody wants them. Those who swear by them are just too embarassed to admit they got suckered into buying a car nobody wants. The only thing they are good for is spare interior and body parts.

It's 'sorta like buying a '54 Chevy instead of a '55 or '57. :D

You are NUTS if you spend that kind of money on an '85.

The only cars to buy are the 86/87 cars... ESPECIALLY for that kind of money. The 85 and older cars are completely different animals and generally nobody wants them. Those who swear by them are just too embarassed to admit they got suckered into buying a car nobody wants. The only thing they are good for is spare interior and body parts.

It's 'sorta like buying a '54 Chevy instead of a '55 or '57. :D

:rolleyes:
Don't listen to this clown...85's don't bring the "investment" money that some people ^^^^^ believe is the ONLY reason you would buy any type of collector car.:rolleyes: If you are only in it for the money...find a GNX and park the S.O.B. and watch everyone else have fun from the sidelines.:eek: If you like it...get it. I admit, $8500 seems high in this market...depends on milage/condition/etc. No question, the 84-85's aren't as fast and it takes more $$$ to get them there as well...doesn't mean they aren't worth owning.

Yullose: Your car will undoubtedly ALWAYS be faster than mine...but, park yours next to the one I got "suckered into buying" and we'll see which one is worth more....:rolleyes:

Don't listen to this clown...85's don't bring the "investment" money that some people ^^^^^ believe is the ONLY reason you would buy any type of collector car.:rolleyes: If you are only in it for the money...find a GNX and park the S.O.B. and watch everyone else have fun from the sidelines.:eek: If you like it...get it. I admit, $8500 seems high in this market...depends on milage/condition/etc. No question, the 84-85's aren't as fast and it takes more $$$ to get them there as well...doesn't mean they aren't worth owning.

Yullose: Your car will undoubtedly ALWAYS be faster than mine...but, park yours next to the one I got "suckered into buying" and we'll see which one is worth more....:rolleyes:

X2 Here. I really enjoy my 85 GN and will not sell it. I have it insured for $19,000 and when I smashed the front end insurance covered it all. Take-care. Brad

Who gives a rats a$$ what it's "worth"? You have me confused with somebody else... that actually gives a $hit about resale value. I sure as heck don't... A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Fact of the matter is, this guy came here looking for advice... and common sense dictates here. Plain and simple, the 86/87's ARE and WERE better cars. PERIOD. There is nothing to debate on that.
Every time I mention this, somebody gets their panties wadded in a bunch and feels they need to defend their hotair cars. Big fvcking deal... so you have one and it sparkles. If all I wanted to do was putt around the car shows and put down embarrassing 1/4mile times, then sure... a hotair car will do that. Fact of the matter here is, it's still an 85 and a poor foundation to build upon for a beginner or for that matter, anyone wanting a GN to build-up into a performance car.
Now I'm sure I just smacked a hornets nest here... and I'm sure there will be an a$$load of hotair owners gang-piling on me with plenty of blazing fast examples of how great they are. :rolleyes:

All this debate can be summed up in a nutshell.

For $8500, you can do MUCH better than an 85 hotair car... that is, unless you are looking for "All flash and no dash"... then in that case, go ahead and buy the sparkling turd. :D

MrSharky...sorry to clog up your thread. Some people don't have an ounce of class.^^^^^^

Talk about getting your panties up in a bunch...sheesh.:eek: I'm so sorry I ever entertained the idea that my 85 was anything at all....guess it's just a heap of sparkling turds.

Don't buy the 85...you won't be welcome on this board or at the dragstrip with all the intercooled toughguys. :rolleyes: What an a$$clown.

You started with the clown comments... if you want to split hairs about class there sparky. :wink:

Must be you are still bitter about getting stuck with that '85 huh ? ;)

MrSharky...sorry to clog up your thread. Some people don't have an ounce of class.^^^^^^

Talk about getting your panties up in a bunch...sheesh.:eek: I'm so sorry I ever entertained the idea that my 85 was anything at all....guess it's just a heap of sparkling turds.

Don't buy the 85...you won't be welcome on this board or at the dragstrip with all the intercooled toughguys. :rolleyes: What an a$$clown.

You lookin to start somethin with us tough intercooled guys;)

OP----So the hot air cars don't vent their heat, big deal. You could probably pick up the stuff to intercool it for less than 2,000. For me it would come down to what I'm looking for. The price for this car may seem high to everyone. But if there is absolutely no rust on this car, paint is perfect, no leaks, perfect interior, and everything works and it drives the way it is supposed to, for 8500 you are well ahead of the game. If you are looking for a car to mod into a 12 sec car, this may be the car for you. If you want a low 11 bolt-on street terror, find yourself an already modded intercooled car. There is no sense in buying a bone stock car if all you are going to do is mod it. There's plenty of modded ones for sale that you can purchase for this price and not have to do anything to except maybe paint.

And on that note bodywork, engine work, interior restoration, etc. all costs money, not to mention YOUR TIME:mad: Doesn't make much sense to spend 6-7k on a IC car that needs doors, paint and whatever else just because what's under the hood. IF you have to pay someone to do it you are looking at least 2-3k, then the time you don't get to enjoy it is lost also. I've had plenty of cars with built motors. They lose their luster real quick if the rest of the car isn't as good as the motor that's under the hood. But yet I continue to keep doing it;)

If I could do it all over again I would have waited until the right amount of cash and the right car came along. I suggest you do the same. Think about what you REALLY want and wait it out until you find it.

and a side note: No one is going to disrespect you for owning a hot air. Sometimes we end up with what we can afford and what's in the area. A lot of IC cars out there, lots of stripper GNs, lots of fully loaded GNs, Limiteds, Base TR, WE4, WH1, HA GNs, WH1 HA, Ttypes, Turbo T/A, carb turbo regals, carb turbo lesabres, carb turbo montes, the list goes on and on. Lots of options, lots of decisions. Don't limit yourself to just a GN.

You may want to post up a signature with your location and what you are looking for and even maybe what you want to spend. That way everyone that looks at it knows you are looking to buy.