85 GN 8,503 original miles!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zicopenico

1985 Buick Grand national
Located in NJ

8,503 Original miles.
Previous owner had the engine redone (still #'s matching)
If your wondering why its been rebuilt with only 8500 miles... the owners son cold started it and hit a nice burnout... (and no im not related to the kid if not I'd whoop his ass)
car spent most of its life as a driveway whore after that...
Original motor rebuilt and stroked to 4.1
New OEM turbo
Less than 100 miles on the rebuild.
I was told by a "shady tree" mechanic the drivers side headgasket is blown.
I dont believe that, Im thinking it has to do with EGR and coilpack or something. Cyl 3 (drivers side head, middle cyl) loses compression but the car does not overheat...
No radio...
New KYB shocks, New headlights, New battery included with car.
Almost new Tires ,Radiator, plugs, wires, etc... replaced at time of rebuild
Floor boards are in tact.
Has some rust at bottom of drivers door and drivers side rocker panel.
has a few more surface rust spots and a dent on the passanger side quarter.
In not so many words, needs body work and a paint job...
I have a autocheck and carfax on the car with me to prove mileage.

My asking price is $7500 and I think thats fair considering the value, actual mileage, and floorboards.

90% of grand nationals that I've seen out here need or have replaced the floorboards... these are original and clean.
How many 85 Grand nationals are left out there with less than 10k miles?
More pics available, just email or text me.

908-644-6371 zico@zicodidit.com

Attachments

• IMAGE_117.jpg
    IMAGE_117.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAGE_118.jpg
    IMAGE_118.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 626
  • IMAGE_119.jpg
    IMAGE_119.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 611
  • IMAGE_120.jpg
    IMAGE_120.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 619
  • IMAGE_121.jpg
    IMAGE_121.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 618
more pics...

Attachments

• IMAGE_122.jpg
    IMAGE_122.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 610
  • IMAGE_125.jpg
    IMAGE_125.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 607
  • IMAGE_131.jpg
    IMAGE_131.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 608
  • IMAGE_135.jpg
    IMAGE_135.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 609
  • IMAGE_137.jpg
    IMAGE_137.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 608
and some more pics...

Attachments

• IMAGE_138.jpg
    IMAGE_138.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 611
  • IMAGE_139.jpg
    IMAGE_139.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 606
  • IMAGE_140.jpg
    IMAGE_140.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 606
You'd have a hard time selling an 86/87 in that condition at that price.

I don't buy the mileage as acurate at all. You better get used to owning it for that price. Out of all the GN's you have the most undesireable one. 84 was special because of only 2000 made as well as the badazz interior, 86-87 go hand n hand...85? nothing special about the year. it had same interior as 86-7 as well as the hot air engine. I don't want to burst your bubble but you need to research what you have first.

Just be careful about relying heavily on that carfax/autocheck as well. In the 80's and 90s the accident records were not computerized the way they are these days. Most of the paper trails were destroyed as time expired.

For example, I own a 87 Suburban, was a total loss 3 TIMES while we owned it, including being hit by two other cars in one accident... oh yes, when I last drove it back around 2000-2001 it had 275,000+ miles.

Carfax gives it a clean bill of health, no accident history, and lists it right now as 87,000 original miles.

You have to love those 5-digit odometers... This car looks nothing like a sub-10k mile car, it has grease and grime buildup in places that wouldnt get it from that mileage, and grime doesnt build up from sitting parked, only dust.

My bet - 109k to 209k miles.

If you sell it as under 10k original be prepared to face a lawsuit for fraud some years down the road if someone learns otherwise, you'll be liable under the law...

these guys are right, zico. you'd be very lucky to part it out for that price. sad, but true :frown:
this is the wrong place to try and sell something like that for that price. and fortunetly for buyers that do their homework before they buy... it happens to be the right place, lol! hot airs just don't bring very much $$$ in the first place, not to even mention one that appears to have way more miles than claimed, and doesn't even run right.... :(

I just looked at the pics again & you need to put the crackpipe down if you think that car has 8500 miles:tongue:

WOW, for the record, i wasnt at all attempting to be offensive by posting the car. Ok , so i didnt add the best offer part to the posting...

I wont argue any of your opinions... after all, thats why they're opinions.

-84c10, thanks for the input. I know the 2 previous owners personally and hopefully they were truthful. The title has the "A" for actual mileage but listenining to what you had to say about your Suburban made some sense. As far as the grease and grime goes, Im around the car daily. what grease and grime do you see? I see rust spots but no grime. As far as the lawsuit info mentioned, how am i liable? does that then mean that so is NJ DMV, along with carfax, autocheck, and the 2 previous owners?

-johnplogii, no crack here... I will add that the car wasnt garaged much... real mature by the way.

Guys, please understand that im going based on what the 2 previous owners, carfax, autocheck, and title tell me. In my defense I think thats a substantial amount of reasons to post what I did.

I'll be blunt honest here and let all know i payed 5000 for the car. If anyone feels fit to pay 5000 for it feel free to contact me. I just dont have the time and space to put some love into this car.

WOW, for the record, i wasnt at all attempting to be offensive by posting the car. Ok , so i didnt add the best offer part to the posting...

I wont argue any of your opinions... after all, thats why they're opinions.

-84c10, thanks for the input. I know the 2 previous owners personally and hopefully they were truthful. The title has the "A" for actual mileage but listenining to what you had to say about your Suburban made some sense. As far as the grease and grime goes, Im around the car daily. what grease and grime do you see? I see rust spots but no grime. As far as the lawsuit info mentioned, how am i liable? does that then mean that so is NJ DMV, along with carfax, autocheck, and the 2 previous owners?

-johnplogii, no crack here... I will add that the car wasnt garaged much... real mature by the way.

Guys, please understand that im going based on what the 2 previous owners, carfax, autocheck, and title tell me. In my defense I think thats a substantial amount of reasons to post what I did.

I'll be blunt honest here and let all know i payed 5000 for the car. If anyone feels fit to pay 5000 for it feel free to contact me. I just dont have the time and space to put some love into this car.
I for one don't see you as smoking crack. I see you unfortunately as an unimformed buyer and in turn now an unimformed seller. This happens regularly. By far that does not make you a bad guy. Heres the problem tho...That particular car; even if you fixed it to look great, would not pull that cash. I am just a young guy but I will say this and hope it does not come off as preaching....study, read, ask questions, read more, and join a forum dedicated to the car and do all of the previous mentioned things over again when you are going to drop 5k on a car. We all make mistakes but I am sorry to say you were had on this one :(

This is a regular occurrence here at this site.
i would take better pictures because the haze in the pictures you put up aren't helping any.:D
1-Next you need to have sworn testimony by all previous owners as to the mileage of the car in order for us to attempt to believe you (You lier):mad:
2-You also need video footage of the car sitting in the elements for the last 25 years.
3-You need to have the original motor oil containers from when the oil was filed at the assembly line.
4-You also need to have the seat and carpet protectors that the dealer used to move it around the parking lot.
5-You need sworn testimony from the salesmen, manager and owner of the dealer from which the car was purchased.
6-You need the ORIGINAL PEN used to sign the paper work at the dealer.
7-You need to have ALL the literature that the car comes with when purchased new.
8-You need to have a long time member vouch for you.

Forget all that BS and just scrap the car it ain't worth ship:rolleyes:
J/K

This is a regular occurrence here at this site.
i would take better pictures because the haze in the pictures you put up aren't helping any.:D
1-Next you need to have sworn testimony by all previous owners as to the mileage of the car in order for us to attempt to believe you (You lier):mad:
2-You also need video footage of the car sitting in the elements for the last 25 years.
3-You need to have the original motor oil containers from when the oil was filed at the assembly line.
4-You also need to have the seat and carpet protectors that the dealer used to move it around the parking lot.
5-You need sworn testimony from the salesmen, manager and owner of the dealer from which the car was purchased.
6-You need the ORIGINAL PEN used to sign the paper work at the dealer.
7-You need to have ALL the literature that the car comes with when purchased new.
8-You need to have a long time member vouch for you.

Forget all that BS and just scrap the car it ain't worth ship:rolleyes:
J/K

I will just add that your #3 cylinder can't lose compression from the EGR or the coil pack. You have a blown head gasket, bent valve, or broken rings/cracked piston.
As for the rest, you made an uniformed purchase(it happens to alot of people), either make the best of it and get the car running and enjoy it or prepare to take about a $2000.00 loss and move-on "lesson learned".
There is a hot air section here on the board if you need any help/advice. Good luck.

Bryan

No problem, just giving my 2 cents on what I've seen/dealt with in the past.

The appearance of the "a" for actual mileage just means that one time when the title was submitted, the person checked the box for actual mileage. The DMV relies on the statements of the applicants, and nothing else. Its why on some newer cars on ebay the autocheck shows a mileage discrepancy - the odometers really arent rolled, its just paperwork issues or someone trying to pass something off as what it isnt.

As far as lawsuits go, you dont get to pass the buck - the person buying relies on the info you give, and the internet is forever. This page was archived the day it was created by the crawling engines, deleting it will never turn it back either. Now, you could try to later prove you were going off what they said to get something out of them, but, spoken words don't count.

As concerns the person you sell the car to, the buck pretty much stops with you.

Carfax and autocheck say they rely on information they have available, but they aren't responsible for errors outside their control, see the fine print they put in their terms and conditions and the like :)

As far as the DMV... well you've got number one the state immunity issue, and number two, again, fine print so on so forth.

It *looks* like a car "run hard and put away wet" for all intents and purposes. If you're going to sell it as 8500 miles make DARN sure it is 100% beyond any doubt to cover your bases, because honestly, its a big risk. This car doesn't look the part, it *could be* but seriously, looks like you're on the hook with something less than what you thought.

As for the spots I referred to, it looks like the engine bay got a quick detail, but there is grime showing on plastic pieces, over flow tanks, some of the lines and such... Firewall isnt clean paint... The engine bits and accessories would get a quick wipe down during rebuild in the put back together process, but in the cracks and odd spots, it has the look of residue still there... As for the rust, some of it is in areas normally worn from driving more than sitting...

Now NONE of that is actual official legal advice, and don't consider it as such, but think of it as pointers on how laws may work generally, and try to keep your nose clean on this one... the situation looks pretty iffy....

And just to point out how quickly the numbers can get confused, and how hard it is to rely on what you hear without a hard firm paper trail, look at the following:

The document in this picture says 5 previous owners calculated:
I know the 2 previous owners personally and hopefully they were truthful.

And here the title issued this year at the DMV appears to say 1 owner:
zicopenico said:

See how quick it happens? Now add 25 more years in... Be Careful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.