83 turbo hot hair setup with carb

jimski

In over my head
I know this is crazy but i figured i ask for opinions on this no bashing please,im about to install this setup in an 84 olds cutlass supreme.First up i have a stock v6 block out of an 84 regal with 32,028 original miles.I was wondering what type of cam i should put in this motor to make it interesting and to replace the stock cam,and also where could i get a vacuum advance even fire distributor,will an odd fire work?
Im not trying to race the car all out. I just want a driver once in a while and be able to smoke a few ricer's here and there sometimes
Heres the parts i have so far.
83 turbo setup with all the parts and brackets complete.
holley 850 carb
th2004r bq trans out of an 84 turbo
I have a complete 83 regal posi rear also that will fit right in the olds.I know there is alot to consider here but i allready had this setup in an 82 regal that my brother smashed for me a while back the car was bad ass too, at least at that time i thought that.At the time i really did not know much about cams so im thinking of sprucing this up this time around to let it breath more.I plan on snapping pics and posting them here so everyone can see the progress ,it is gonna be crazy but please bear with me .

Sounds like fun. :)

Most people don't recommend gaoing too radical with a turbo. I would looked into what the IC cars use and go with that. Something just a little more than stock.

You don't want an odd-fire distibutor. Something from a 1978-80 Buick V6. If it's from a turbo V6, then it will have knock retard (presuming you get the ESC control module and sensor).

Sounds like fun. :)

Most people don't recommend gaoing too radical with a turbo. I would looked into what the IC cars use and go with that. Something just a little more than stock.

You don't want an odd-fire distibutor. Something from a 1978-80 Buick V6. If it's from a turbo V6, then it will have knock retard (presuming you get the ESC control module and sensor).
I think edelbrock 5487 cam may be extremly radical what do u think?Really im trying to run this without a computer so do u think a vacuum advance deal will work, when i had it hooked up in the 82 regal i did not even have the hei plugged in and it was pretty bad ass,so this time around im thinking vacuum adavance would make it kinda of right this was in ,what do u think and what type cam do u recomend.

edelbrock 5487 cam

Sounds sick as hell, would this be to radical. Im trying to use vaccum advance here with a turbo and a too radical cam would require far more advance and to top it off turbo way more advance.

100_0234 (Medium).jpg
Not at all. I still need the qudrajet to holley adapter and nothing but the block is in car at the garage,ill tell u what it beats just having a regular v-6 in there.

You can boost reference the power valve to make it work with the turbo. Search on yahoo for it. I was considering it for my turbo 301 project, but I am using a Predator I had laying around.

You can boost reference the power valve to make it work with the turbo. Search on yahoo for it. I was considering it for my turbo 301 project, but I am using a Predator I had laying around.
Isnt boost referencing for blow thru setup thou?Not sure please explain just looked around and everything is for blow thru setup.

Go Ebay....I just saw a stock 1979 turbo Q-jet fly off the shelf for $24.00. The carb looked like it was in excellant shape.

It's important that the cam maker gets the type of carb you're gonna run. They can best tell you what to use. One must match the cam to the carb, or the carb to the cam.

A turbo needs to match also with the carb and cam. Also, I'd go with Rich's suggestion. Use a pre-CCC HEI vac-advance distributor.

Go Ebay....I just saw a stock 1979 turbo Q-jet fly off the shelf for $24.00. The carb looked like it was in excellant shape.

It's important that the cam maker gets the type of carb you're gonna run. They can best tell you what to use. One must match the cam to the carb, or the carb to the cam.

A turbo needs to match also with the carb and cam. Also, I'd go with Rich's suggestion. Use a pre-CCC HEI vac-advance distributor.

So youre saying this carb wont work.The carb that came witht his setup is electronic,im trying to use this without computer just like when i had it setup in the 82 regal,it was fast then but now trying to do this right might be even better for me.

So youre saying this carb wont work.The carb that came witht his setup is electronic,im trying to use this without computer just like when i had it setup in the 82 regal,it was fast then but now trying to do this right might be even better for me.

You don't have to have an electronic carb. 1979,1980 are not electronic carbs. The distributor is an HEI and uses vac advance. These were nice set-ups too. :biggrin:

If you're going with a turbo, the carb has to be for a turbo. Turbos use what's called a power valve set-up. An early '79, '80 OEM turbo carb has the vac ports set up for a power valve system.

It's easier to bolt-up if you go with an OEM turbo Q-jet. I don't know if Holley's, Carters or any other carb is pre-configured to use a power valve system. More than likely they are'nt.

Also, non-electronic N/A Q-jets can be modified for a power valve set up but making your own port is an advance learning curve. :smile:

You don't have to have an electronic carb. 1979,1980 are not electronic carbs. The distributor is an HEI and uses vac advance. These were nice set-ups too. :biggrin:

If you're going with a turbo, the carb has to be for a turbo. Turbos use what's called a power valve set-up. An early '79, '80 OEM turbo carb has the vac ports set up for a power valve system.

It's easier to bolt-up if you go with an OEM turbo Q-jet. I don't know if Holley's, Carters or any other carb is pre-configured to use a power valve system. More than likely they are'nt.

Also, non-electronic N/A Q-jets can be modified for a power valve set up but making your own port is an advance learning curve. :smile:

I see thanks for youre input