83 engine parts

ShawnR

Fixer of crap..
I ditched my stock draw-thru carb setup a few years ago and after having power, there AIN"T NOT WAY I'm going back. Going back to stock isn't an option.
So, I have a bunch of spare parts for the carb engine, so hit me up with what you need. 1 complete engine that ran fine and a cabinet with spare intakes, bracket and I'm pretty sure I have a spare carb. Located in Central Ohio, USA if you want a bunch of stuff that is to heavy to ship.

I need this intake manifold.
Screenshot_20220422-074918_Chrome.jpg

I ditched my stock draw-thru carb setup a few years ago and after having power, there AIN"T NOT WAY I'm going back. Going back to stock isn't an option.
So, I have a bunch of spare parts for the carb engine, so hit me up with what you need. 1 complete engine that ran fine and a cabinet with spare intakes, bracket and I'm pretty sure I have a spare carb. Located in Central Ohio, USA if you want a bunch of stuff that is to heavy to ship.
I need this intake manifold

I"ll check the barn tomorrow, but I'm sure I have at least 1 manifold. I'll get a pic of it to see if it is the same one, or if it will work. From what I remember, the thermostat housing is different. Mine looks like this:

PEVR valve: Any chance you have a picture of what is supposed to look like?

The PEVR valve was used on pre computer (78-80) turbo engines. It screwed into the intake manifold. They usually only have 2 vacuum ports but I have a broken one from a '78 that had multiple different vacuum ports. I don't know if you noticed, but the intake manifold that jeep92 is looking for is a '78 part number, so he must have low port heads. Any intake manifold '79 up won't work for him.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Yeah, I tried to point that out too. jeep92 is a new member and may not know the critical difference and matching the correct intake manifold to the corresponding year of cylinder heads. I'd hate to see him go to the expense of purchasing and shipping an intake manifold that won't work.

That's a 1978 manifold. '78 are low port intakes. Are you looking for a specific year or casting number?
This might help: BEFORE BLACK - Turbo V6 Intakes
The casting numbers on the block list as a 1980 turbo. I'm assuming the heads are stock. I rebuilt with components for a 1980 regal. It had a 4 barrel aftermarket intake manifold on it when I got it. Have the draw through turbo setup. Turbo bushing were shot. Assuming that's why they went to the 4 barrel intake. Dropped in my 92 wrangler. Works great but would like to put the turbo setup on.

The casting number on the block won't tell you if the engine was a turbo engine. The casting numbers were the same whether it was a turbo engine or NA. The difference was the crankshaft and pistons. Why were posting that you were looking for a '78 intake manifold if you have a 1980 engine?

The casting number on the block won't tell you if the engine was a turbo engine. The casting numbers were the same whether it was a turbo engine or NA. The difference was the crankshaft and pistons. Why were posting that you were looking for a '78 intake manifold if you have a 1980 engine?
Honestly didn't know there was that much difference in the draw thru style intake manifolds. Haven't been able to find any in my area. The casting numbers on the block list as a 1980. the crank is a turbo crank. I just know i need that style with the single intake hole and 3 surrounding bolt holes. As far as any differences between manifolds of that style you are right i am clueless. Hence why I am here.

Did you find an intake yet? Try to buy from a board member. Ebay prices are stupid expensive on the old draw through turbo parts.

Here's a summary
1978 low port heads, iron
1979 updated to high ports, still iron
1980 updated to aluminum, knock sensor moved to block.
1981 first year for computer
1982-83 EGR used to heat upper carb plenum.

First choice for your set up would be a 1980. 1979 would be the second best choice. 1981 and 1982/83 might work as well.

I might have a spare 1979, but I would not be able to check for a week or so. It weighs 33 pounds, so shipping is a killer. The aluminum intakes weigh 11 pounds.

You also need to do a little work on the carb to get it work correctly.

V6logo.gif
CARBURETOR POWER SYSTEM - Non-electronic carburetors use a Power valve to enrich the mixture during acceleration or high speed operation (to prevent detonation). This system is modified for Turbo applications. (One reason a Turbo carb is different than other carbs.) The power system works off manifold vacuum. Low or no-vacuum situations open the release (open) the power valve. Most carbs get this vacuum signal from a port with the carb. In a draw-through turbo set up, the carburetor is separated from the intake by the turbocharger. Releasing the throttle when the engine is under boost will produce vacuum within the plenum. However the intake will still be supercharged. The plenum vacuum will close the power valve and lean out the mixture and cause detonation. To correct this, the power system needs to be connected to the intake manifold down stream of the turbo. It also needs to be protected from boost pressure. (When the intake is pressurized, the power valve should receive no vacuum and no pressure). This is accomplished with a Power Enrichment Control Valve (PECV) or Turbocharger Vacuum Bleed Valve (TVBV).

Forget about finding and using a turbo V6 boost referenced Quadrajet and the PEVR it takes to make it work. You can buy a Holley and have it set up to run under boost and you'll be much happier in the long run. You'll also need to put a Holley to Quadrajet carb adapter on the plenum.

I'm confident that what I have is from an 83 so it probably won't work without a lot of hassle. This is just stuff from the cabinet.

Attachments

• 20230210_150146.jpg
    20230210_150146.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230210_150157.jpg
    20230210_150157.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230210_150222.jpg
    20230210_150222.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230210_150420.jpg
    20230210_150420.jpg