8.5 truck posi 30 spline.... can i buy 30 spline c clip for our cars?

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
I keep seeing these 30 spline 3 series 8.5 pickup truck carriers on ebay, not the gov-lock

Would i be able to find 30 spline axles for our stock 8.5 rear, buy the carrier, add some 30 spline axles and be done with it?

I looked at gearsrus.com and did not see them for the gn.

Does anyone know if i can buy 30 spline axles and still have c-clip style axles?

I really didnt want to do the c-clip eliminator's if possible. This rear is a non posi rear end and looking to get it to a posi with a set of new axles.

Thoughts, ideas, anyone know, i do not.

Something like this GM 8.5, 10 Bolt 30 Spline Posi Unit : eBay Motors (item 250565485311 end time Jan-24-10 18:01:32 PST)

30 Spline Auburn Posi GM 8.5 inch differential : eBay Motors (item 180456875516 end time Jan-20-10 07:26:22 PST)

This is a 8.5 like ours

GM 8.5 POSI 28 spline locker 10 bolt front axle 6 8 lug : eBay Motors (item 150405420919 end time Feb-13-10 10:25:23 PST)

BW

Just bought a set from Summit for my GN, $245. 30 spline Mosers. Just about the same price if I wouldve went direct. Wheel studs were extra, though.

And I think there were some clutch style 30 spline posi's in the 89-98 full size GM trucks. I know my brother has one in his GMC. 88-89 was the changeover year and they couldve been 28 or 30 spline.

Hope this helps.

I'm leaning towards going this route myself, for a street car that will frequent the strip a few times in the spring and fall.

What kind of power are you planning on putting through these? At what performance level should you be concerned with the 30 spline c-clip axles?

Just bought a set from Summit for my GN, $245. 30 spline Mosers. Just about the same price if I wouldve went direct. Wheel studs were extra, though.

And I think there were some clutch style 30 spline posi's in the 89-98 full size GM trucks. I know my brother has one in his GMC. 88-89 was the changeover year and they couldve been 28 or 30 spline.

Hope this helps.
That is what i would like, the clutch pack style like our factory 28 spline. All i see is the eaton GOV-LOCK style and the non rebuildable cone style auburn.

Are you 100% positive they made the clutch pack style for the 30 spline? Would be nice to find one, that way i do not have to put a locker in the car and get a c-clip eliminator kit.

BW

I'm leaning towards going this route myself, for a street car that will frequent the strip a few times in the spring and fall.

What kind of power are you planning on putting through these? At what performance level should you be concerned with the 30 spline c-clip axles?

Hopefully down the road, the car will run low 10s. I will be moving closer to the track and can finally enjoy racing again.

I am looking for the clutch style like our 28 spline axle rear ends, no gov lock and no auburn. I forgot the auburns you have a certain amount of longevity and have to send it back for rebuild... they do not sell aftermarket parts is what i was told.
Might as well go with a locker, c-clip eliminator kit if i cannot find a clutch style rear setup. That or just find a 28spline posi center section.
Mine is a one tire fryer so anything other than that will be good, but i want to do it right the first time.

BW :)

I know that there are 30 spline rear differentials marketed by Eaton, Detroit Locker, as well as others for the 8.5" rear end. There are some locals running the Eaton and Detroit Locker, and I haven't heard of any complaints.

Here is a link to a parts distributor: Rear end gears & posi units for Chevy, Ford & Mopar. We sell Ring and pinions & Moser at low prices. They have the Eaton posi unit on there site #19559.

I am torn on which direction to go. I've heard great things about the Eaton unit, but I've found a used Detroit Locker that I can get a good deal on.

30 spline clutch pack

I have an Eaton 30 spline unit with c-clip axles--have been running this for 8 years and 0 problems--@ one time I had an electric trans brake (1 season) --removed it for fear of breaking the posi unit. It does have the clutch pack which you can buy a rebuild kit if needed. If I remember right it has 800 lbs. clutch pressure as compared to stock 400. Not sure on these #. They recommend NOT using syn. fluid.

That is what i would like, the clutch pack style like our factory 28 spline. All i see is the eaton GOV-LOCK style and the non rebuildable cone style auburn.

Are you 100% positive they made the clutch pack style for the 30 spline? Would be nice to find one, that way i do not have to put a locker in the car and get a c-clip eliminator kit.

BW

I'll be honest, its been a while since I was in there... But I swear on a stack of good books that it looked just like our posi's, spring and all. Some of the dealers I call say yes, others say no...

So at this point, Im not sure what the answer is...

I do know I have a stock posi unit that needs a rebuild that I will be looking to part with in the future. It'll need a rebuild, and you can find the parts on EBay. I'll let the carrier go for cheap too.

I have an Eaton 30 spline unit with c-clip axles--have been running this for 8 years and 0 problems--@ one time I had an electric trans brake (1 season) --removed it for fear of breaking the posi unit. It does have the clutch pack which you can buy a rebuild kit if needed. If I remember right it has 800 lbs. clutch pressure as compared to stock 400. Not sure on these #. They recommend NOT using syn. fluid.

Thank you Lee, now if i could only find the clutch pack setup like our factory cars then i would buy it tonight. That seems like a good way to go, might take a little more abuse than a factory one.

I don't understand

Thank you Lee, now if i could only find the clutch pack setup like our factory cars then i would buy it tonight. That seems like a good way to go, might take a little more abuse than a factory one.

I thought you wanted a unit that you could rebuild. The Eaton has clutch pack--not exactly like stock but still a clutch pack on each side.

I thought you wanted a unit that you could rebuild. The Eaton has clutch pack--not exactly like stock but still a clutch pack on each side.

I thought you said yours was a 30 spline and setup like stock with the clutch packs? Is yours like the one with the 2 springs(not gov lock) like this instead?

GM 8.5" CHEVY 1500 10 BOLT EATON 19559 30 SPLINE POSI : eBay Motors (item 370222923343 end time Jan-26-10 15:27:13 PST)

I was ASSuming that it was like the stock setup...

BW

yes

Been a while since I have had mine apart but I do believe it is like that. I remember it having the yellow springs--not the Z spring like stock.