700R4-TCI Aluminum Oil Pan

Viper39

After ordering a new TCI aluminum oil pan (2 more quarts) for my 700R4 today, I (later) read in the description of the pan that an oil filter extension tube isn't required.:confused: What gives? Does this mean that the filter won't be submerged any deeper into the fluid? I need an oil pan that will allow the filter to sit deeper in the fluid to help prevent any cavitation during hard launches.;)

You are correct. The pan was initially designed with enhanced cooling capacity as the biggest consideration. By far, most of them were (and still are) sold to truck owners.

With more and more of these 700-R4s & 4L60Es hitting the strip, we've been considering a filter extension for the aluminum pan to further ensure that the filter stays submerged during hard acceleration.

So Greg..............

So Greg, what should I do, return the pan or can I just keep it and install a filter extension tube? Is it possible? I haven't seen the inside of the pan yet, but I persume that it has some sort of support or supports that hold the stock filter up in place.

You're certainly free to do with it as you please. If you don't want to do any modifications, by all means return it.

It shouldn't be too tricky to get the filter down lower in the fluid. As you mentioned, a tubular extension will bring the filter down. The pan is currently cast with three small filter support posts that can easily be ground down.

That's what I did to my Art Carr deep cast pan, used a cut-off wheel in the die grinder and cut the filter stand-offs flush with the bottom of the pan. With a 2004r you can use a 700r4 filter to reach the deeper depth required for the deep pan, in your case I'm not sure if there is any other way than an extention tube, which I believe Bruce also still sells that he use to use before he designed a differ set-up. Give him a call they may work with the 700 as well.

I have the extensions as I make them

I also sell them to Art Carr and others. We make them 100 at a time. How many would you like? LOLOLOL

Bruce
WE4

Tubular extension

Do you need the tubular extension, even with the 2 QT Artcarr tranny pan? and do they realy work ?
Thanks, Nick

AC pan is designed for stock filter, but will still possibly suck air 'cuz the filter is no deeper in the oil than a stock pan. But can be modified to use 700 filter for deeper pick-up. Which is better! :D

700 filter

To put 700 filter in, any mods have to be done? or just goes right in?
Thanks, Nick

Re: 700 filter

Originally posted by Nicksturbo
To put 700 filter in, any mods have to be done? or just goes right in?
Thanks, Nick

Originally posted by HOTTOGO
That's what I did to my Art Carr deep cast pan, used a cut-off wheel in the die grinder and cut the filter stand-offs flush with the bottom of the pan. With a 2004r you can use a 700r4 filter to reach the deeper depth required for the deep pan, in your case I'm not sure if there is any other way than an extention tube, which I believe Bruce also still sells that he use to use before he designed a differ set-up. Give him a call they may work with the 700 as well.

700 filter

HOTTOGO, I read your post, I am talking about the filter, inside of the tranny? Anything special to do?
Thanks, Nick

Now I'm confused, my post was talking about the filter in the trannie. Please clairify what your asking? :)

Buy the PTS pan with bottom feed and forget it. :D LOL

Bruce
WE4

Damn, wish I made a 700 pan...

I don't make a 700 pan. I was teasin....LOL I do have the extension tho. I buy that exact pan from Summit and use them exclusivly.
OR >>>>>>> We have made a "bottom feeder" for them and can be done if desired. Purchase the TCI pan from where ever it is cheapest. Then, and I already have one in stock to use for example, will make you a "bottom feeder", for THAT pan.
For a fee to be agreed upon,of course.... of course..LOL :D

Bruce
WE4

Hey Bruce! How about this?

Hey Bruce, I'm the guy that brought up this whole subject about an extension for my TCI 700R4 tranny pan.:eek: I have a great idea, atleast for me!:D Since I ordered one of your PTS Xtreme Pressure Regulator Systems on Aug. 23rd. and I still haven't received it, why don't you just send me one of those filter extensions, out of the kindness of you heart. LOL! Like you, I'm just kidd'in!

"Big John":cool:

Bottom Feeder?

Mark, (Happy Labor Day!) wouldn't a filter extension put the filter back down onto the floor of the pan, thus making it a bottom feeder again?:confused: Wouldn't a tube coming straight down from the pump inlet and then making a 90 degree bend at the bottom of the pan, and then ending the tube right at the rear/bottom of the pan make it a "real bottom feeder"? Of course you'd have to install an external filter into one of the cooling lines.:D

"John"

You are correct in both your assumtions, except not having a filter on the end of a bottom feeder tube is like running a vaccum cleaner on the bottom of the pan, not so good for the pump or anything else to suck directly off the bottom without going thru at least a screen first.

John's package.....

TRACKING NUMBER STATUS

1. 1Z 784 W32 03 4079 721 1

In Transit
Sched. Delivery: Sep 4, 2002
Shipped to: PLANTATION, FL, US
Service Type: GROUND

Tracking results provided by UPS: Sep 2, 2002 3:57 P.M. Eastern Time (USA)

Would you like some California cheese with the whine?
Its the cheese, man, its the cheese.......ROFL ! :D

To be honest, and I am too busy right now anyway, I can send you an extension. Make it fit. It will work just peachy keen!
Cheap too!!!!!

Bruce
WE4