Droped oil pan found vary fine small of metal in it.

gn dennis

How do you know how much metal is ok. What started this, my turbo locked up, so I started to investigate what could of happened. I first pulled my oil filter, it was clean except the magnet had the dark gray metal cream on it, about as much that would cover the top of a nickel. the oil pan vary small metal fines smaller that a grain of salt, and silver in color would not stick to magnet. A lot of you know the way the stock oil pan is made there is a round disc of metal in the bottom of the oil pan, so you cant drain all of the oil out it. I was surprised there was a quarter of an inch left in the bottom. I have owned the car for 7 years and haven't dropped the oil pan. My oil pressure is 20 psi at hot idle and 45 driving driving 50. So what do you guys think. Is some metal ok in the pan as long as its vary small in an amount and size of particle? Thanks for all your help. Dennis

A picture of it would aid in your request for opinions. I say drive it till it clunks then build a beast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A picture of it would aid in your request for opinions. I say drive it till it clunks then build a beast.

Well I tried pictures they don't show anything. I thought this a good thing to talk about, there always seems like there is metal in an oil pan when you remove it. I am wondering the people that have a lot of experience with these motors if they can chime in as to what they fin

Well I tried pictures they don't show anything. I thought this a good thing to talk about, there always seems like there is metal in an oil pan when you remove it. I am wondering the people that have a lot of experience with these motors if they can chime in as to what they fin
find. I have never seen a clean oil pan. So how much is ok in guys minds? Thanks Dennis

find. I have never seen a clean oil pan. So how much is ok in guys minds? Thanks Dennis

As always with these types of questions, the answer is "It depends."

Ideally you want no visible metal. But there's always some. Then there's the oil pan design. The drain plug boss sticks into the pan about 3/8", so the bottom 3/8" of the pan never drains. So a shard of metal that makes it to the bottom of the pan will be there essentially forever, unless it's sucked into the pump and makes it to the filter. So you have no idea when what you see actually happened or where it came from.

The only way to really tell what's going on is to get a sample of the oil analyzed so you know exactly what's floating around. If there's elevated lead or copper in it, you need new bearings. If there's a lot of aluminum, the oil pump housing might be getting ground up or the pistons are melting. If you see phosphorous or water, there's a coolant leak somewhere, perhaps a small crack or a leaking head gasket. If there's fuel in it, your rings are shot or you're running it too rich. If there's excessive silica in it, your air filter sucks.

Just looking at it in the pan isn't terribly helpful. If there is a significant amount of visible metal in it, it's probably too late.

In another thread in the turbo section you stated your turbo is seized, the oil that goes through the turbo drains back to the pan.

As always with these types of questions, the answer is "It depends."

Ideally you want no visible metal. But there's always some. Then there's the oil pan design. The drain plug boss sticks into the pan about 3/8", so the bottom 3/8" of the pan never drains. So a shard of metal that makes it to the bottom of the pan will be there essentially forever, unless it's sucked into the pump and makes it to the filter. So you have no idea when what you see actually happened or where it came from.

The only way to really tell what's going on is to get a sample of the oil analyzed so you know exactly what's floating around. If there's elevated lead or copper in it, you need new bearings. If there's a lot of aluminum, the oil pump housing might be getting ground up or the pistons are melting. If you see phosphorous or water, there's a coolant leak somewhere, perhaps a small crack or a leaking head gasket. If there's fuel in it, your rings are shot or you're running it too rich. If there's excessive silica in it, your air filter sucks.

Just looking at it in the pan isn't terribly helpful. If there is a significant amount of visible metal in it, it's probably too late.
Thanks vary much that is good advice I think that is what I will do.

In another thread in the turbo section you stated your turbo is seized, the oil that goes through the turbo drains back to the pan.
Yes I did that's when this all started, that makes me wonder how much is from the turbo. Thanks

Yes I did that's when this all started, that makes me wonder how much is from the turbo. Thanks

Probably all of it. That's a detail you should put in the thread. Replace the turbo, change the oil a couple of times and put a new filter on, check it in 500 miles.

Probably all of it. That's a detail you should put in the thread. Replace the turbo, change the oil a couple of times and put a new filter on, check it in 500 miles.
That sounds like a good plan. I don't know what size turbo is on the car. The housing on the is Garrett .63 and should I try to repair where can I get parts. Thanks

That sounds like a good plan. I don't know what size turbo is on the car. The housing on the is Garrett .63 and should I try to repair where can I get parts. Thanks

Repairing a seized turbo is best left to a professional shop. You can start with some of the board sponsors. Depending on how old it is, it may be more practical to buy a new one.

Pull the turbo and take it apart. That should help determine what failed and if material in the oil pan came from that turbo.
It’s a perfect time to upgrade the turbo at this point.

Pull the turbo and take it apart. That should help determine what failed and if material in the oil pan came from that turbo.
It’s a perfect time to upgrade the turbo at this point.
I would love to up grade, I need help with what to buy. I think I have enough information about my setup. I really appreciate your help . and everyone that has helped with my questions. Thanks Dennis

Years ago, I lost my stock timing set and put in a Cloyes all metal set. At that exact instance my drain plug had an afro at ever oil change. 100,000 miles later when the Cloyes failed (and took out my timing cover) I went back with a stock nylon coated set. At that exact instance, the afros were no more.

That's why now I always have a couple rare earth magnets in my heads at the drain back holes, one or two on the oil filter (and fuel filter), AND a magnetic drain plug.

Years ago, I lost my stock timing set and put in a Cloyes all metal set. At that exact instance my drain plug had an afro at ever oil change. 100,000 miles later when the Cloyes failed (and took out my timing cover) I went back with a stock nylon coated set. At that exact instance, the afros were no more.

That's why now I always have a couple rare earth magnets in my heads at the drain back holes, one or two on the oil filter (and fuel filter), AND a magnetic drain plug.
Thanks Earl, I have a new turbo, That is vary

Thanks Earl, I have a magnet in my oil filter. Do you think that metal was damaging your engine?