700r4 pump rotor question??

boosted3

I just did a transmission swap in an 89 suburban and i didnt get the torque converter locked in all the way and it tore up the teeth on the pump. I was wondering if anyone has ever changed one of these out before and if so, is it difficult? I have a local transmission shop that will do it for me tomorrow but i really dont want to wait, or pay the $125 to have them do it. Should I do it myself or just wait and have them do it?
Thanks!

125.00 is not bad for what is involved. You need to stand the trans on its tail and support the case. Then you will need a set of pullers to get the pump out or pull the pan and pry the pump forward to break the o ring seal. You will need an o ring for the pump and a new seal. If you are just replacing the gear, you will have to take the pump apart. Make sure the gear is the same thickness as the old one. I did a turbo 350 once only to find out that there are 2 different thicknesses. It had bad morning sickness. A 700R4 may not have that issue, but it would not hurt to check it with a michrometer. A new pump assembly will require you to check the end play of the trans and adjust with shims if not to spec. 125.00 is not bad for all that.

If the pump rotor broke and you started the engine, there is a 10 out of 9 chance the aluminum is gouged and mangled. If they are saying a complete pump for $125, go for that. Otherwise just "facing" the pump halves is going to cost you $125 and you still have to buy the rotor and slide assembly to fit the pocket.

Thanks for the responses guys! I took the blown trans and the new trans to the shop. They swapped some parts and fixed it. I think the guy felt bad for me because he only charged me $80 to fix it and he took the blown one off my hands! I think i may have found my transmission builder for my Buick!
thanks again!