700r4 on 3.8turbo

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
I found a junkyard 700r4 for pretty cheap... do the 700's work well on our engines?

I like the 200, it's lighter, shorter, has a better gear ratio spread, then a 700. It can be more expensive to build and be reliable than a 700 tho. Have to use a adapter for fit the 700 behind anything but a chevy.

A chevy guy should respond that a 700R4 is better than an 200R4. It is true that the 700r is tougher than the factory built 200r. Every Monte Carlo guy who have a 200r4 (and who drag race their car) retrofit the TH350 or the 700R4 when they broke their tinny transmission. For sure, the little 200'series transmissions haven't been built to take the abuse of the bigger ones but it can be build to take a lot more torque and hp. As a proof some BB 455 guy have retrofit the 200r4 in their big and heavy cars to get OD (probably build for higher torque rating)
But what is the really meaning of better? If you're talking about a less energy robbing transmisssion, the 200r4 is the answer. Moreover a lot of guys prefer its shift pattern and its OD ratio for their street driven car.

My question now is: Do the 200r4, found in the Monte Carlo, have the BOP bolt pattern?

I found a junkyard 700r4 for pretty cheap... do the 700's work well on our engines?

Aj's using one but his truck weighs about 1K less than the normal Regal. I've been trying toget him a 2004R to rebuild but no luck so ar.

A chevy guy should respond that a 700R4 is better than an 200R4. It is true that the 700r is tougher than the factory built 200r. Every Monte Carlo guy who have a 200r4 (and who drag race their car) retrofit the TH350 or the 700R4 when they broke their tinny transmission. For sure, the little 200'series transmissions haven't been built to take the abuse of the bigger ones but it can be build to take a lot more torque and hp. As a proof some BB 455 guy have retrofit the 200r4 in their big and heavy cars to get OD (probably build for higher torque rating)
But what is the really meaning of better? If you're talking about a less energy robbing transmisssion, the 200r4 is the answer. Moreover a lot of guys prefer its shift pattern and its OD ratio for their street driven car.

My question now is: Do the 200r4, found in the Monte Carlo, have the BOP bolt pattern?

The 2004R has a better gear ratio simular to a Muncie close ratio 4 speed. It really is the best of both worlds if you're willing to spend the money to make it work.

the first gear spread is what I like.

its perfect to me for volume based air movement.

I feel like it offers maximum spool at the lowest possible RPM for my given Turbine housing. Allows me to run a 4 bolt .82 housing and still not be too laggy... but I get the flow out as quickly as I get the flow in. but N2O helps the very bottom end to get it rolling.

Also helps with that "Wheels Up" attitude that blows minds when coming off a street light.... particularly with them sexy 3.73s out back and charlies ladder system.

HOWEVER.... first is almost non exsistant when dropped in just drive... the 1-2 is almost instant and over before you realize it.

But really, the main reason i went with a 700 was I originally had a th350C and the 700 was available and a drop in. If I could find a good 200 core close enough I would be willing to try it out.

A.j.

Aj's using one but his truck weighs about 1K less than the normal Regal. I've been trying toget him a 2004R to rebuild but no luck so ar.

The 2004R has a better gear ratio simular to a Muncie close ratio 4 speed. It really is the best of both worlds if you're willing to spend the money to make it work.
I have my original BR1 minus the valve body sitting somewhere in the garage. :biggrin:

the first gear spread is what I like.

its perfect to me for volume based air movement.

I feel like it offers maximum spool at the lowest possible RPM for my given Turbine housing. Allows me to run a 4 bolt .82 housing and still not be too laggy... but I get the flow out as quickly as I get the flow in. but N2O helps the very bottom end to get it rolling.

Also helps with that "Wheels Up" attitude that blows minds when coming off a street light.... particularly with them sexy 3.73s out back and charlies ladder system.

HOWEVER.... first is almost non exsistant when dropped in just drive... the 1-2 is almost instant and over before you realize it.

But really, the main reason i went with a 700 was I originally had a th350C and the 700 was available and a drop in. If I could find a good 200 core close enough I would be willing to try it out.

A.j.

YOu finally did the ladder mod Aj? I take it you like the way it hooks for you now?:smile:

Well you could always come to Noble in October and bring it Jim. Aj and I are planning to be there this year, one way or another.

Well you could always come to Noble in October and bring it Jim. Aj and I are planning to be there this year, one way or another.

Not sure what I'll be doing in Oct. Stuck in this state for a couple more months.... :mad:

I have one and like it vey much it works well on my car . But it still cost alot to modify oa 700 r4 so you might be better off spending extra money on a200 r4 . Mike

tranny

i have a thm700r4 w/shift kit on my gn previous owner threw it in cuz the original kept breaking on him.it runs pretty good sofar i gotta buy a higher stall for it but plan on saving up for a 2004r for whenever this one breaks down i added more things to the engine so dont know how much power this tranny will support:confused: