700 vs the 200

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
Ok, I've got several v8 buddies that say the 700 is a much better trans than the 200 4r. What makes the 200 better? If you were to build up a 200 and a 700 with the best parts which would be better.

Also, in basic terms, what makes the 8.5 rear better than the 7.5 rear.

i heard the same thing, not sure there is too much of a diffrence. these guys are running a 700 with a v8 that probablly has almost half the amount of horsepower as the people that are using them with 10 second buick trs so how can they be so sure there better.:rolleyes: :D

about three weeks ago I rode in a GN that had a 700r4 in it.
I was told it was a little cheaper to build than a 200, and would end up being a little stronger. this was a low 11 car and felt strong at the shifts.
When built, this trans will also take a pounding.........

1st gear is too deep on the 700 when compared to the 200,youd have to get an adaptor plate,etc.

Hmmmmm!

The way it was explained to me was that in stock form the 700 is stronger, but because of all the HD billet parts now available for the 200 4R, in built form the 200 is stronger.
Apprently the 700 has some parts that even when made of billet continue to fail and appears to be the weak link inside the 700 and no one has been able to rectify the weak link.

What do the experts say?

From what I have seen working with Bruce is that the 700 will not handle any real torque or horsepower, even when you use the available hardened parts internally. The gear ratios in the 200 4R are much more evenly spaced and better utilizes the engine power band.

The 700 has basic internal design features that limit it from handling any real horsepower. The main thing is the O/D transfer tube does not like having any real power put thru it. The other thing is it is not as efficient as the 200 4R.

the 700r4 will take just as much punishment as the 2004r when built with the right components.the main differences are in the mechanical design and principles of operation between the 2.the 2004r uses 3 sets of planetaries to achieve 4 forward speeds and one reverse.the 700r4 uses 2 sets of planetaries to achieve 4 forward speeds and one reverse.the held and driven members to provide these ratios is reversed in first gear in the 700r4.the sun gear is the input member which defies most all other of gm previous designs.if the 700r4 used the ring gear of the front planet as input however the ratio would be similar to the typical 3 speed or 2004r.overdrive in the 700r4 generates more heat because the rear sun gear is held and the output ring gear turns at a higher speed.although both units use a band to stop the rear sun gear for 2nd gear the 700r4 has a larger band and drum and as such provides much more clamping force.the 700r4 is less sensitive to suttle accumulation changes which imo allows easier calibration of the 1/2 shift.the valve bodies function very similar and use just about all the same valves in the control body.the 2004r however uses a flyball style governor verses the design of the 700r4.tuning of the governor is much easier with the 700r4.the governor circuit in a 2004r is charged and bled off depending on output speed and the 700r4 is horseshoed back into the governor upshift circuit after regulation.the direct clutch capacity with stock thickness steels is more than double when using my methods.the lubrication system in the 2004r beats out the 700r4 and as such the 2004r has less lube circuit associated failures.heavy cars with numerically lower final drives will out accelerate a similary outfitted car with a 2004r.however the engine rpm obtained during a ratio change may hurt accelleration with the 700r4 if the vehicle has a camshaft with a wide lca ,ie a cam that produces poor intake manifold vaccum during all throttle angles before maximum cylinder filling occurs.turbo and supercharging will not be greatly affected by this because of the positive intake manifold pressure.in mechanical theory and certainly in the real world under certain condition closer ratios provide maximum accelleration,.this is however providing the car does have the correct starting line ratio.they both are very unique in their own ways and both have their place in the performance aftermarket.i have used 700r4s in turbo buicks with great success and 2004rs in non turbo applications with the same results.i base selection on final drive ,vehicle weight ,intended use,induction ,and camshaft type.and although this may not make sense to some ,here it is .when alexander the great was faced with the gordion knot,which the scholars said would be undone by the greatest conquerer the world as ever seen ,he said what cant be untied can be cut and he cut it.

Originally posted by chris718
the 700r4 will take just as much punishment as the 2004r when built with the right components.the main differences are in the mechanical design and principles of operation between the 2.the 2004r uses 3 sets of planetaries to achieve 4 forward speeds and one reverse.the 700r4 uses 2 sets of planetaries to achieve 4 forward speeds and one reverse.the held and driven members to provide these ratios is reversed in first gear in the 700r4.the sun gear is the input member which defies most all other of gm previous designs.if the 700r4 used the ring gear of the front planet as input however the ratio would be similar to the typical 3 speed or 2004r.overdrive in the 700r4 generates more heat because the rear sun gear is held and the output ring gear turns at a higher speed.although both units use a band to stop the rear sun gear for 2nd gear the 700r4 has a larger band and drum and as such provides much more clamping force.the 700r4 is less sensitive to suttle accumulation changes which imo allows easier calibration of the 1/2 shift.the valve bodies function very similar and use just about all the same valves in the control body.the 2004r however uses a flyball style governor verses the design of the 700r4.tuning of the governor is much easier with the 700r4.the governor circuit in a 2004r is charged and bled off depending on output speed and the 700r4 is horseshoed back into the governor upshift circuit after regulation.the direct clutch capacity with stock thickness steels is more than double when using my methods.the lubrication system in the 2004r beats out the 700r4 and as such the 2004r has less lube circuit associated failures.heavy cars with numerically lower final drives will out accelerate a similary outfitted car with a 2004r.however the engine rpm obtained during a ratio change may hurt accelleration with the 700r4 if the vehicle has a camshaft with a wide lca ,ie a cam that produces poor intake manifold vaccum during all throttle angles before maximum cylinder filling occurs.turbo and supercharging will not be greatly affected by this because of the positive intake manifold pressure.in mechanical theory and certainly in the real world under certain condition closer ratios provide maximum accelleration,.this is however providing the car does have the correct starting line ratio.they both are very unique in their own ways and both have their place in the performance aftermarket.i have used 700r4s in turbo buicks with great success and 2004rs in non turbo applications with the same results.i base selection on final drive ,vehicle weight ,intended use,induction ,and camshaft type.and although this may not make sense to some ,here it is .when alexander the great was faced with the gordion knot,which the scholars said would be undone by the greatest conquerer the world as ever seen ,he said what cant be untied can be cut and he cut it.

Holy one paragraph Bat Man.

So you are saying that the beefiest 700 will last just as long as a billeted 200?

I think thats what Chris is trying to say.Dont forget,CK also makes hard parts for the 700.

Im sure built for built,theyre about even.Id like to see the price tag on the 700 with all the hard parts CK offer's though.I bet its alot more than the 200.

The drums in the 700 are like welded sheet metal from the one I had taken apart. If your comparing billet parts maybe,but the 700 is fragile at best with the stock hard parts vs the 200.

I had an 88 iroc that ran 10.90's at 128 while 60 footing in the low 1.4s that had no internal billet parts, buthte best updated gn had to offer, It was a daily driver and 2 years of crazy punishment and it never broke a thing.And that car was driven to and from the track when raced.
Of course i have 10 years of building trannys so that helped

i had 1 that survived numerous 10.50 128mph passes w/a 406 turning 7800 rpms.turned on the laughing gas and beat its balls in afterwards and broke the output shaft,fixed it and sold it to someone who still got it.everything in this world has its place ,2004rs,leeches,winos,winners and losers.and of course the 700r4.just stay away from that torque drive crap and offshore 5 pinion planets or youll get plenty of excercise with the air gun pulling it out just when you had somewhere to go with it.

ifMY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT AND i had the choice of making a 2 thousand mile trip with a BONE STOCKREBUILT 2004R OR BONE STOCK REBUILT 700R4 WITH A HI OUTPUT ENGINE YOU CAN BETT YOUR BALLS I WOULDNT BE STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BECAUSE OF A FORWARD DRUM IF YOU GET MY POINT.

Hey, dumb Q and everything but what's up with the wiring, are the 700 and 200 pin/connector comaptible?