700 vs. 200

H

hrspwrfreak

hi, building a street/strip g body and have a semi built 700(shifts nice and firm). Im not sure of the extent of rebuild or how many spline for that matter. Which would be a better trans and why? small block powerd 377 cu.in, 550 hp at flywheel....would like to run a 250 shot of nitrous but even at n/a power levels i relize that trans wont last long!! What should i do? I was considering a th400....strong an inexpensive but i like the overdrive to cruise with!

Very arguable ?....

for the rest of the world, but on here I think you'll find the consensous is the built 200-4R!!! In stock form the 700 is a little stronger, but dollar for dollar for a built one I don't think you can beat the 2004r. Just my opinion. :D Check this site out.

http://www.2004rperformancecenter.com/

I had a problem with my truck trans the other day. When driven for a long time, the SES light comes on. from 1st to 2nd, the shift is SUPER hard. Could the TCC sol. be the culprit? It's a 96 x-tra cab 4x4 1/2 ton chevy PU. Just thought I'd see if anyone knew. Thanks, Paul

Without knowing the code, it's a guess. If it's only on the highway, my guess would be an O2 or evaporative emissions code. The only way to know for sure, is to put a scan tool on it.:)

I looked up the code on a Acron III OBD tester. I got a P1870 which was a Trans. Comp. slipping. Do you know what that is?? Thanks, for your help,

Paul

That code usaully indicates a difference between input and output speed of the transmission. At one point the only way to fix the code, was to rebuild the unit. I recall a bulletin about increasing the threshold of slippage, before the code would set. You might try looking up that bulletin, I remember it applied to many models with 4L60. Trucks,Camaro's, etc.

Thanks Joe. I noticed it only happens on long drives. Once I turn off the truck, I'll restart it right away, and the hard shifting will stop, and it'll be shifting regular again. Could you tell me where I should look for the bulletin?n Thanks again!!!

Every GM dealer has a computer that can search for TSB's. If you are friendly with one, they could look for you. There is an Internet site as well. I don't know the address, sorry.

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!!!
P-1870 + OR - 50RPM DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IMPUT AND OUT PUT RPM. CHANGED TCC SOLENOID AND SOME OTHER SOLENOIDS TO NO AVAIL. IT ENDED UP BEING THE CONVERTER CLUCTH WAS SLIPPING. CHANGED CONVERTER ALL BETTER. MAY HAVE BEEN TCC SOLENOID AT FIRST BUT IT WIPED THE CONVERTER CLUTCH W/ LACK OF LINE PRESSURE ON CLUCTH. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
i WOULD LOVE TO HERE THE RESULTS.

BRIAN

Thanks Brian, I'll change the TCC solenoid first, and hopefully it's before damage has been done already. Thanks for the input guys.
Aloha,
Paul