700 R4 into Regal

gsjimmy1

Hey,

I'm back! I pulled the 454/TH400 out of the Turbo Regal & dropped it into a 1964 Nova (Stevesnovasite.com - 1st gen non-tech - Project Idea by GS Jimmy) whole bunch of pics & what not at that site.

Anyway, here is my dumb question. OK, not so dumb, as I know it has been done before. I'm going to be restarting the Regal project this summer and will be using an intercooled 5.3 (LM7) LS based v8 & GN stock turbo (something like 400+ HP with good gas milage). I already have the TH700 R4 sitting in the garage (from an '86 G20 Van w/5.7 v8) that was rebuilt once already. I'll have it gone through just to be sure that it's up to snuff.

What all is involved with putting a 700 into a G-body? I already have a crossmember made for the TH400 that was in the car before (double hump to run duals). I'm guessing that I'll need a 400 transmount (dual bolt pattern) and will need to drill new holes in the frame to mount everything down.

So far this is what the project will have:

5.3 LM7 Vortec (2001-2005 GM Van or truck)
Painless wiring
GM computer - reflashed
TH700 R4 trans
4" driveshaft
8.5" rear end w/3.42 gears
Intercooler
GN Turbo - stock w/blowoff valve set to 6lbs

Will the trans hold up to this combo?

Thanks,

Jim

The mount will have to be moved forward and the driveshaft shortened. I put one in an 84' Hurst Olds along with an L98 a while back and that's all I had to do.

You also may have to add a b&m controller to use the lockup function The 700 has a steep 1st gear and works well to get you out of the hole.. My dad but one in behind a mild 350 in a malibu and it worked great for 3 years he sold the car to a friend of mine who still has it..

You can run power to the 3 plug connector on the side of the trans thru some 16 guage wire and a 1amp fuse. 12 volts to pin A. Key-On power. Make sure inside that the wire runs to the positive side of the solenoid. Run the negative side of the solenoid to the 4th pressure switch and ground it there. When it gets 4th gear, it will lockup. When it downshifts, it will unlock. No hunting in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Will not hurt the trans at all. Been doing it this way for 22 years and NEVER had an issue with lockup. Burning, slipping or hunting. No real need for vacuum switch either. :)

The 4th pressure switch is closest to the 1-2 accumulator housing. If no switch and there is a plug, remove plug and install a N/O switch that will have continuity when pressure is applied.