6157BB or 6765BB??

cabech984

Which turbo would you guys recommend me to upgrade from my CPTE44? My goal with the car is low 11's high 10's around 23-26psi. But Id like as much as I can throw at the combo. My setup right now is;

3.8L, stock crank and rods, TRW Forged pistons (8.1:1 compression)
Stock rebuilt 8445 heads w/ 100lb springs
Erson 208/208 flat tappet cam
Stock lower intake w/ 70mm TB and Upper plenum & RJC PP
#55 injectors & TT Chip
Alkycontrol Methanol kit
3" DP w/ HKS External WG
3" MAF Pipe w/ factory GN MAF Sensor
Stock Intercooler w/ Duttweiller neck
TH400 Trans w/ 3200 Stall converter
3.23 Limited slip rear axle
27x10.50x15 Slicks

If I missed any info let me know. I am wanting suggestions, I wanna get some runs in this year!!

If you want to run high ten's consistently, I would suggest you get a better crank and steel caps or girdle.

One day, the heads will be ported/replaced. Also, I am wanting to get a girdle, All I got holding the bottom end in is ARP Main Studs.

I dont "drag race" only with this car, itll likely only see 5-10 test and tunes a year, I mainly cruise on the street. 10's arent absolutely necessary, but Perhaps 120-125mph traps in the 1/4 mile. Thanks for opinions and looking!

Also, Im running the factory fuel system with a Walbro 340 pump and a hotwire kit.

Once the heads are ported the 6765 BB would be perfect, but until then it would be fine too.

Thats it!!! Im ordering it right now!! I just hope it works with my 3200 Stall. If not, I'll be restalling it! I think the heads will get portwork done if/when I pop a headgasket!

You wont gain much over the 44 with your intercooler. Id do heads and intercooler then the turbo. Plan on 30-32 psi to run high tens with stock heads.

I wouldn't get either, the new PTE BB62/62 spools better and makes more power, a tad more than the 6765 BB since they share the same exhaust wheel.

The 6262 is actually rated at a lower HP (by about 80hp) and has a smaller exhaust wheel than the 6765. Is there something I'm missing?

Either way, the 61 or 62 billet variants are probably a better choice than the 67. Probably more area under the curve for unported heads and smallish cam.

The 6262 is actually rated at a lower HP (by about 80hp) and has a smaller exhaust wheel than the 6765. Is there something I'm missing?

Either way, the 61 or 62 billet variants are probably a better choice than the 67. Probably more area under the curve for unported heads and smallish cam.

Your correct. Hes actually overstalled for current turbo.The 6765 will make more power if the combo is correct. Hes not even close with the intercooler he has and the stock heads. If he did all three turbo, heads, and intercooler he would ha ve a mid 120 ride with a decent tune at 24-25psi. I doubt he will pick up more than 1 mph simply changing turbos at the boost he plans to run with the current combo. Heads and intercooler and leaving the 44 on there is going to gain 8-10 mph at 25 psi over what he already ran even with the 44. Throw the 6765 on after that then he will gain a few more mph at 25 psi. A turbo swap is a big waste of $ at this point imo.

Well, I need to rebuild the turbo which is why Im not against upgrading it now. I trapped 113 on 93/110 octane mix, 20psi and stock intercooler.

I also had alot of variables when I trapped 113 mph. Both of my manifolds had cracks in them, a manifold gasket was leaking as well as the turbo flange gasket leak. Also, I think I was seeing 4-8 degrees of false knock. I pulled my plugs and they were pretty wet with fuel. Could've been leaning out up top but I never heard detonation, but just the "fall on face" feel.

If I rebuilt my 44 and fixed my exhaust leaks, about how much mph gain could I see on 25psi and alky with the duttweiller neck intercooler?

Well, I need to rebuild the turbo which is why Im not against upgrading it now. I trapped 113 on 93/110 octane mix, 20psi and stock intercooler.

I also had alot of variables when I trapped 113 mph. Both of my manifolds had cracks in them, a manifold gasket was leaking as well as the turbo flange gasket leak. Also, I think I was seeing 4-8 degrees of false knock. I pulled my plugs and they were pretty wet with fuel. Could've been leaning out up top but I never heard detonation, but just the "fall on face" feel.

If I rebuilt my 44 and fixed my exhaust leaks, about how much mph gain could I see on 25psi and alky with the duttweiller neck intercooler?
Maybe 3 mph if your lucky. Exhaust leaks wont hurt your mph. I doubt it was false knock. Why would you think it was false. Plug readings are useless unless the car is shutdown immediately after letting off and the plugs pulled then. Id spend some $ on a wideband to get some accurate a/f numbers. You have some tuning issues. Throwing more parts at it is not going to help.

True, I do need a WBO2 for sure! Scanmaster and Narrowband are scary! I just thought it would be false knock because Ive seen knock with 110 race gas and 20psi. Didnt think it was possible.

Everything Im putting on the car is only gonna help correct the knock and once its good, Ill tune for alky. Im still undecided on a turbo, Im open to rebuild or buy a better one.

Thanks for the suggestions, Im not as familiar to tuning the turbobuicks as Id like to be but Ill get there with suggestions, time, patience and money!!!

After putting some thought into the opinions Ive heard, I contacted Jack Cotton about rebuilding my Turbonetics Turbo. Ill likely rebuild, get a WBO2 and install all my other goodies and start tuning again. Ill try to max out this turbo before giving up on it!

After putting some thought into the opinions Ive heard, I contacted Jack Cotton about rebuilding my Turbonetics Turbo. Ill likely rebuild, get a WBO2 and install all my other goodies and start tuning again. Ill try to max out this turbo before giving up on it!

Good choice

I think I may have found the reason for some/all of my engine knock retard! I swapped motor mounts over the weekend and found that my downpipe was dented pretty good from bouncing off of stuff down there! I also gained about 3/4" of lift on the engine, the old mounts were sagging and worn out badly! Got that taken care of.

Im getting the 44 Rebuilt, just ordered an Innovative LM2 Wideband and 3 bar map sensor!