60-1 turbo at a very affordable price!

boosted1

hi everyone, hope your holidays were great
i have been thinking about getting the 60-1 turbo for my gn but its not the cheapest thing in the world.
i got to talking with a good friend of mine here in phoenix that has a turbocharger shop that does alot of work for trucks and turbos in general

upon our conversation guess what?
the early ford powerstrokes had and almost exact turbo on them
but instead of the 60mm wheel they have a 59mm one
the compressor housing is just like the 60-1 hi fi unit just a hair smaller since the compressor wheel is 1mm smaller also

so i got to thinking and it always costs me money when i do that
got the backing plate compressor wheel and compressor all for 140.00!!!!!! all new...

then i got the gt350 ex wheel and shaft and built myself a kick ass turbo the unit was 210 for the stage 5 wheel on the exhaust side

so for a grand total of about 400.00 bucks i have a awsome unit that pulls like a truck!! now i just need a new converter
and the compressor wheel is lighter than the 60-1 piece also.

the inlet is 2.75 and it has a 2.0 outlet just like the 60-1 hi fi one

just wanted to share with you all

this thing rocks

if you need some of the parts ill be happy to get them that cheap for ya

take care
slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

i know the profit is huge and since i have a womderful girlfriend that got me a beed blasting machine for christmas i can get a turbo rebuilt in about 3 hours looking like new and all redone on the inside also
makes it much faster and easier to get the center section cleaned and rebuilt
i can also get the bearings for the turbos at only 5 bucks a piece and get the thing balanced for 15 lol all other places cant compete
so if anyone needs a turbo rebuilt or wants one like mine let me know and ill even give a warranty on rebuilds

this thing is great though cant imagine what it will feel like with a better converter and a set of sticky tires on it lol

now i need more than my 36 lb injectors will give i think im gonna get the 55s and forget about it

anyone has a good lead on a powerstroke intercooler?
i want to do that next

slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

the turbine housing was big to say the least but i will call my friend tomorrow and find out what the turbine is
id laugh my ass off if it was very close to the stage 5 wheel i just paid 210 for lol
then all we need to do is get the factory housing bored out to fit that wheel and damn you have a 60-1 hi fi stage 5 for about 500 all new lol
what a smoking deal that would be damn

ill find out, you got me all courius now about that exh wheel

turbo rebuild

I am just about to do a rebuild on my stock turbo, what you say is pretty interesting, but I think a 60(or 59) is a bit too large for me, I was thinking of converting to a TA49, but don't know if I want to put that much into it right now.

Can you get the rebuild parts cheaper than Limit offers them?

Just doing a little research...

I'm a bit green on turbos, so all the numbers confuse me. :)

I was just noticing that the TA49 and TE44 have a 58mm compressor, so wouldn't taking your idea with the 59 compressor and a simular turbine to the 49 or 44 wouldn't it be simular? Tell me what I'm thinking wrong here....

What center section are you using, stock type work or are you using the one from the P/S?

are they 3 or 4 bolts? it would be possible to take the whole thing off a ford and swap it right over if its a 3 bolt, right?

just swaping the compressor parts wouldnt' really work out would it? you've got my attention!

thank you all for posting your questions about this unit,

since the ta49 is 58mm it is similar but there is a difference in the weight of the compressor wheel promoting spool up with such a big piece.
also the pitch of the wheel is a bit different this thing gives 52lb per min worth of air

i am using the stock gn center section, as far as the whole ex wheel from the ford im not sure because i would advise using a ex wheel that is for a gn application therefore not messing up all the spool up and responsivness of the turbocharger.

no i did not look if it is a 4 or 3 bolt turbo, if you tried to swap it over from a 4 to a 3 (thats if its a 4 in the first place) you would still need a gn applicable turbine wheel
you will choke the unit if you keep the stock turbine wheel and upgrade the rest of the compressor side

as far as getting parts cheaper then limit
i am not here for that at all
they are a great vendor for the buick community and i am not here to try to steal or take business, im a mortgage broker not a turbo guru, im just sharing info that i have learned through books trial and error
and if there is a person out there that wants a few little pieces here and there, if they are in a pinch for money or time then ill do my best to help them if i can

if someone wants 300 for a rebuild and the person has a 100 and needs the car to get back to work type of situation you know
so please understand that
i will let you all know where i have found great deals and such but i am no vendor or here to take business from any of them
we are very lucky to have the great vendors we do have since the others are just jumping into the import market, after all the money is sure in that market

hope i can answer more questions
i just think that this unit will give more mid to top end by being a little bigger than the 49 and the spool up is pretty good i must say even with the stock converter for now

take care

slawek

Question for boosted1

I assume you have a GN? I also live in Gilbert and thought I new all of the GN's running around this area.

Chris

hi
yea i do have a GN but its getting a fully custom setup under the hood, reworked suspention in the front, got rid of the ac and all the heater box crap, now its getting full custom aluminium inner fender wells under the hood once those are in, i can finish all the piping for the intercooler and downpipe. im searching for a powerstroke unit now and once thats in it will finally run but still not finished, must get tires, rims, big breaks, and im also building a all custom dash out of carbon fiber to get the gauges, stereo, navigation i want in the car. then the cage goes back in with the rest of the interior with new seats,

alot of work to say the least but little by little i just want to get it running for now lol alteast to hear the damn thing run!!

take care
slawek

Options...

I'm not knockin Limit, I've heard good things about them. I'm just looking for more options as to sources for parts, so far they're the only one I've been given. Yes, money is tight, and so is time as my GN is my work transport. I thought maybe I could find a way to rebuild and upgrade to a slighly larger unit in the same motion. Ether way mine is dumping oil badly and needs correction. $75 just seems like a lot for just bearing and seals.

You just got me wondering if I could build one simular if not a bit smaller on the turbine side and save money over buying a TA49 or 61 or whatever used. Plus I love doing things myself and learning along the way. I already have a 2800 stall, but I don't want to go too big as it is mainly street.

i hear ya
money is big when it comes to extra things in life
you can build this turbo without the ex wheel but i must say that on the top end you will be holding back some boost
but you will still see a huge gain over what you have now
if anything i would say to get a exh housing that will fit the factory wheel but get a .82 ratio one that will give you more mid and upper power that you will be holding back because of it
later you can always upgrade to a bigger turbine wheel when funds allow you to

i think that would work pretty well for you in my opinion as long as you are going into it knowing that youre giving up a little because of the turbine being stock for now

i say go for it man
get it all built and get the .82 housing later on

that would be another way of doing it.

i can get you the backing plate, wheel, and compressor for about 150 or so must check the exact price, the bearings are 5.00 each and the thrust bearing i can get you for like 10.00 bucks

so you see there is a very big markup in these things

let me know if i can help you in any way

take care
slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

you talk like the p/s turbo has a small wheel and housing on the exaust side...I would figure opposite

Turbines..

What are the differances between the stock and TA49 or TE44 hot sides? Different housing, or both a different housing and wheel? Would the .82 housing be simular to a ta49? What would make the most difference in spool-up time. You definately have me interested. :)

the housings are different from the factroy unit but only on the hole for the turbine

exact housing but bored out to accomodate a bigger ex wheel
i think that if you went with a factory housing for the factory wheel but as an .82 ratio that you will still have near stock spool for these reasons
1- the bigger cold side and wheel will give you more airflow at a lower rpm, therefore it will produce more ex gas, which in turn will spool the factory wheel
2-since you have more ex going into the bigger .82 versus .63 housing you will still be getting good spool up, and you will still be able to get more mid and top end from the unit because of the bigger ratio.

hope this helps

the only time you will be out flowing the unit is at much higher boost levels and i think that you will not see that much since you will be getting more flow then a 49 unit at a lower rpm, and you will most likely never go to max on this unit, but when you do choose to turn up the level much more you can just get a different housing and wheel for the ex side and have even a more powerful turbo

good luck
slawek

Sounds like a plan to me...

That's what I was thinking, I can try it and if it doesn't work out great I can always upgrade the turbine later down the road. It's worth trying anyhow. Would I need a complete new housing or can the factory housing be machined to .82 cheaper?

At the same time I can port the elbo to help out. What is the inlet side like on this compressor, is it like the GN factory bolt on or more like the TE's?

I think you're right, and with the 2800 stall it shouldn't be bad. It really helped on the stock turbo, it'll peak the boost in nothing flat.

Was the 59mm compressor a Garrett or Turbonetics? Do you have a p/n?

If it's the 2.75" back-disc, sounds like the Garrett T04B "70 " trim.

If it's a 3.00" back-disc, could be the Garrett T04S "60" trim.

Could also the Turbonetics T04B "Super-H" trim or "H3" trim.