'57 Chevy question- column shift pattern?

daviss

Maybe you older guys could help me out. What is the shift pattern on a manual column shift for a '57 Chevy. Which way is reverse, first etc?

Thanks,
Steve

Yer kidding, right? Like ALL three on the tree. First is toward you and down. Second up and away. Third straight down from second.

Reverse is toward you and up.

Yer kidding, right? Like ALL three on the tree. First is toward you and down. Second up and away. Third straight down from second.

Hey, that's exactly how i remember that also. ;)

I must be older than i thought. :eek: :(

John :smile:

Easy now! Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Steve

I remember as a kid driving older farm vehicles ('65 Chevy C10 p/u, '63 Ford Econoline van) that had a 3-on-the-tree and I don't ever recall seeing a shift diagram anywhere.

It was just one of the those things that someone told you about. Like, "don't shift it too fast or you'll twist the linkage!":eek:

Don't forget unless you double clutch it, you won't be able to get into first or reverse while the car is moving (unless they changed the synchos sometime after '53..Don't think I'm too old, but I learned to drive a stick in my dads '53 chevy with a 3 on the tree

I learned to drive in a ford work truck with a column shift also. I didn't know if the Chevy's and Ford's were the same or not.

Steve