5 Speed GN

CincyTType

I was at local Mall here in Cincy Yesterday and saw a 86 or 87 GN and it had a 5 speed??? I left my card on windshield and awaiting a call to see how/where/what he did to make this setup work... Has anyone else ever seen one. The shifter knob had a D/N on it thinking Doug Nash?

Was it really a GN, or.... a V8 powered Regal cloned to look like a GN?

Ive never actually seen a Buick GN with a 5 spd, but lots of Montes and Olds 442s. Adding a 5 speed isnt hard at all. finding all of the pieces is.

I can give you a list of all part #s required to run a T-5 manual behind a buick. I think I have the #s for the clutch pedal assembly and what not as well.

A.j.

Definately a 3.8 turbo

I thought V-8 first thing.. but looked under car and saw it was 3.8 turbo and inner-cooled. Didn't wanna look to suspecious.. hung around awhile waiting for owner but they must have been X-mas shopping.. Hopefully he'll call.
Wonder if the 5 speed takes away from the performance??? or helps??

I would think it would hurt performance not being able to load up the motor to build up boost prior to launch.

More than likely would hurt the performance due to loss of boost on the shifts. May be minor loss of performance, but you'd have to have a beefy manual behind these torque monsters.

I have a Richmond 6 speed in my 502 2+2 and my T-type motor would snap it like a twig if the 3000 RPM leaves didn't smoke the clutch, first.

The Narrow power band and spindly bottom end of a Stock motor'd TR wouldn't make this swap very fun. A Stage II block would make it fun, but you are talking large $'s.

More than likely would hurt the performance due to loss of boost on the shifts. May be minor loss of performance, but you'd have to have a beefy manual behind these torque monsters.

This would fall under the category as being the only time a BOV would actually have some use on a Turbo Buick. :eek:

The T-5 Behind my buick did just fine, the motor ran smoother than ever with the extra inertia helping it and I dont have a BOV at all. I run a 10.5" clutch, a diaphram pressure plate and the trans is a camaro W/C T-5, it holds as long as I dont drop it from 3 or 4K + RPM. However I have never dropped the clutch from higher than that as a drop on the clutch is more harmful to my drive shaft and rear than anything, and traction is more of a worry than the rest of the drivetrain, I just try to use a rolling start and letting the turbo do its thing.

It has been almost 2 years on the street - everyday driving to and from work. I could say it would go further, but a head gasket has led me to pull the engine for a rebuild and if the motors out, might as well change the clutch and check the trans. SO in light of that, I will report the wear to the thrust bearing on the crank as well as on the flywheel, clutch and trans.

I say go for it if you want it, its actually alot of fun to drive a turbo V6 with a stick..... Boost builds fast - and damn it sounds really cool when shifting.

A.j.

The T-5 Behind my buick did just fine, the motor ran smoother than ever with the extra inertia helping it and I dont have a BOV at all. I run a 10.5" clutch, a diaphram pressure plate and the trans is a camaro W/C T-5, it holds as long as I dont drop it from 3 or 4K + RPM. However I have never dropped the clutch from higher than that as a drop on the clutch is more harmful to my drive shaft and rear than anything, and traction is more of a worry than the rest of the drivetrain, I just try to use a rolling start and letting the turbo do its thing.

It has been almost 2 years on the street - everyday driving to and from work. I could say it would go further, but a head gasket has led me to pull the engine for a rebuild and if the motors out, might as well change the clutch and check the trans. SO in light of that, I will report the wear to the thrust bearing on the crank as well as on the flywheel, clutch and trans.

I say go for it if you want it, its actually alot of fun to drive a turbo V6 with a stick..... Boost builds fast - and damn it sounds really cool when shifting.

A.j.

How is the lag between gears? I remember riding in a T-bird turbo coupe and there was alot of turbo lag on each shift.

id imagine it would slow our 6 setups down. maybe next the owner will make it a convertable...

It should depend on the rpm level of the shift and what turbo you use. If you keep the volume up in the exhuast flow there should be minimal lag. Something F(*uc*ing)O(owner's)R(really)D(dumb) never figured out.

It should depend on the rpm level of the shift and what turbo you use. If you keep the volume up in the exhuast flow there should be minimal lag. Something F(*uc*ing)O(owner's)R(really)D(dumb) never figured out.

Thats a good one, I always liked F(*uc*ed)O(over)R(rebuilt)D(Dodge).

And I got it from a Ford owner. The other thing is when Henry started his factory he told his employees that if they found a faulty car they should put his name on it and put an oval around it.