4x4 tranny behind 3.8

sailor77

I am new to this whole thing, but not new as a mechanic. Here is what I got going oin

I just purchased an 85 GN motor that I am going to place into my 89 Jeep wrangler. I want to maintain the 4x4 aspect. I am reading that the 700R4 is not good behind the 3.8T motor and that the 200R4 is better do to the better spacing of the gears. However I have never seen a 200R4 with 4x4 ability.
Would I be hurting anything to put a 700R4 behind the motor or is there a way to replace the output shaft of a 200R4 to make it 4x4 ready? Thanks for the help

I doubt the gear spacing will be bad on a 4x4...The gear spacing is more suited for drag racing.

A 700-r4 wasn't made with a BOP bolt pattern, but adapters are made to fit it to the BOP block. The 200-4r has a one-piece case with no removable tail housing. The TH350 andTH350C with BOP cases will bolt to the Buick block, but have no overdrive. Your transfer case will possibly not fit onto the th700 or th350 output
shaft splines, either. A local 4x4 specialty shop should be able
to point you in the right direction for this swap.

I pretty much got it figured out. I am going to use the adapter plate for the BOP to chevy tranny (700R4). After that I will use an S10 transfer case (231c) and do a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) to allow for a longer rear driveshaft in the jeep. Tom Woods make both the SYE and custom drive shafts.
Advance adapters has the engine mounts for the 3.8 in to the wrangler. Now all I gotta figure out is the wiring mess, and fuel system that I am going to need.