4l60E build up.

Louie L.

Habitual Line Stepper
Staff member
I ve seen several post on the 60E so id figure id ask. If the post needs to be moved thats cool too.The Buick cntent is that I use this truck to tow the GN!!!

What can or should be done to 4l60e (99 Burban) to make it a decent towing transmission? Several weeks ago i got a trans slipping code. I erased it and it has yet to return.

At the time I was not towing anything but was at the end of a 80-90 drive. I did notice that it seems to flare the 2-3 shift , but when it did flare the shift the code didnt set. Only after 2 on off key cycles did the code show. I would like to fix the problem only, but I know that with a enclosed car trailer in the future I should do it fix it right.
???

Call Frank at CPT:

http://www.geocities.com/cahallperformancetransmissions/CPT.html

He's one of the best there is for building up a 700 or '60 and his prices are VERY reasonable. He's got a great reputation over on the cz28.com message board too ( 12SCNDZ is his screen name http://web.camaross.com/forums/index.php? .. he hangs out in the drivetrain forum most of the time) The first thing anyone should do though is install a large aftermarket cooler on one of these transmissions, they tend to run too damn hot.

Run down of the best things to do to a stock '60:
Fairbanks/Sonnax intermediate and OD servos
Raybestos clutches and Kolene frictions where ever possible (especially the 3-4 clutchpack)
Raybestos Pro Series band (do NOT use kevlar)
29 element input sprag
.490" boost valve

These things are addressed by every performance builder out there with these trannies and Frank has many other tricks up his sleeve to make them last, as his reputation shows. Do a good rebuild with the parts above and install a 20,000lb+ GVWR tranny cooler, that'll make it very strong.

HTHs

Originally posted by Louie L.
I ve seen several post on the 60E so id figure id ask. If the post needs to be moved thats cool too.The Buick cntent is that I use this truck to tow the GN!!!

What can or should be done to 4l60e (99 Burban) to make it a decent towing transmission? Several weeks ago i got a trans slipping code. I erased it and it has yet to return.

At the time I was not towing anything but was at the end of a 80-90 drive. I did notice that it seems to flare the 2-3 shift , but when it did flare the shift the code didnt set. Only after 2 on off key cycles did the code show. I would like to fix the problem only, but I know that with a enclosed car trailer in the future I should do it fix it right.
???
the sunshell is a weak point in that trans. the replacment we used is called "the beast" . also i would install a heavyduty 3-4 clutch pack. a trans-go shift kit, heavyduty converter and a 30,000 gvw transcooler. this would be a good start. Len

Louie, I just went thru this with the wife's Tahoe. A $3.00 roller bearing went out and trashed the rest of the tranny. I ended up with a reman with 50k warranty from GM for a great deal but I had all the parts for the rebuild, ready to go. I had the parts Len was talking about plus a corvette servo like the dealer tech recommended.

Originally posted by Dusty Bradford
Louie, I just went thru this with the wife's Tahoe. A $3.00 roller bearing went out and trashed the rest of the tranny. I ended up with a reman with 50k warranty from GM for a great deal but I had all the parts for the rebuild, ready to go. I had the parts Len was talking about plus a corvette servo like the dealer tech recommended.
that servo works really good but i think with the shift kit it would shift to hard for a truck. also i would install a 5 pinon rear planet. louie call me if you need any of these parts. i will help you out. still owe you one for looking at my motor when you guys were here---Len

Guys,
Thanks for the info. From what i gathered from the chevy boards the shift kit and servo, corvette i believe will shift too hard . I also found some posts about clogged filters in the pan could cause this. I have never done a filter job on this truck but i have had a total flush done by a reputable club member when i purchased it about 20 k mi ago.

I was advised to install a higher boost valve to pick up the line pressures and the flare may go away? Is this true?

Len,

I will call you once I find out something. I was a pleasure working on your car. That was the perfect vacation for me.

Guys,
Thanks for the info. From what i gathered from the chevy boards the shift kit and servo, corvette i believe will shift too hard . I also found some posts about clogged filters in the pan could cause this. I have never done a filter job on this truck but i have had a total flush done by a reputable club member when i purchased it about 20 k mi ago.

I was advised to install a higher boost valve to pick up the line pressures and the flare may go away? Is this true?

Len,

I will call you once I find out something. I was a pleasure working on your car. That was the perfect vacation for me.
louie if the filter is cloged the trans is done anyway. a larger boost valve is a good thing as part of the shift kit but wont help if you have a burnt clutch pak. doing a flush with out replacing the filter is like changing motor oil without a filter change. these trans have problems with code po1870. most of the time its the converter clutch slipping. and can be caused by a burnt converter clutch or wornout pwm lockup valve bore in the valve body. a 99 truck should have the bolt on bell housing to the trans case. do you know if yours has that?

Len,
I just checked and it does have the bolt on bell housing. Is there ar reason for the bolt on housing?

What can i do to check and see if the converter clutch or lock up valve bore are worn ? Im pretty sure its the same code I got.

Thanks

Len,
I just checked and it does have the bolt on bell housing. Is there ar reason for the bolt on housing?

What can i do to check and see if the converter clutch or lock up valve bore are worn ? Im pretty sure its the same code I got.

Thanks
the bolt on is just the new style- nothing wrong with it just a different shift kit. first thing i would do is drop the pan to see if you have any amount of clutch or metal. how many miles on this truck? really a new converter and a transgo shift kit will take care of this problem even with a worn valvebody. give me a call. if you have a fax. i can send you a paper to look at while we talk to make it easier for you to see what im talking about. 702 434 2991. len

do i have a 80e in my 98 2500 454 tow bitch? or is it a 60e?

sorry to hijack this thread.

louie. inorder to see if the converter clutch slipping. you need a scanner to look at while driving. and watch the converter slip rpm's while in lock-up.

Originally posted by Reaper
do i have a 80e in my 98 2500 454 tow bitch? or is it a 60e?

sorry to hijack this thread.
they only put the 4l80e behind the big block. wheres my cd??:D

Originally posted by LV GN
they only put the 4l80e behind the big block. wheres my cd??:D

haha yea, i have it, my roomate (the guy that does it for a living. has yet to make the second copy). i just called him infact. i will call him agian if i dont hear from him. i have not forgotten!