4K GN for sale

Glenn_A

My neighbor has a garage gorgeuos 4,000 mile 87 hardtop for sale. It has all paperwork....bill of sale, order sheet, window sticker, etc, etc. He's not really into these cars, nor does he know much about our cars. He's really steep in his price though......$40,000:eek: .....any nibbles, I'll pass along to him

Have U Seen any..

:D
My neighbor has a garage gorgeuos 4,000 mile 87 hardtop for sale. It has all paperwork....bill of sale, order sheet, window sticker, etc, etc. He's not really into these cars, nor does he know much about our cars. He's really steep in his price though......$40,000:eek: .....any nibbles, I'll pass along to him

police activity at his house??
At that price, I'd think he is using a "controlled substance.", while watching Barrass Jackson reruns.:eek::D :D

In reality, 40 grand isn't that much money for a car these days, go look at new cars and see what you get for an asking price of 40. Using online inflation calculators, a $20K car purchase in 1987 would cost roughly $37,800 today.

Crack is good!

Don't know what he is on but tell him I will trade him a 78 Malibu (all stock) and 10k for it (based on his price the Malibu has to be worth at least 30K)

28-30k and he would sell it right away. He should have sold it last summer.

Turbo buick owneres are like pawn shop dealers.....what you have isn't worth crap and what they have is worth gold. There can't be many left with less than 5,000 miles so he should keep the price. Barrett Jackson would be the place to get the right money for it. Collectors not owners.

Turbo buick owneres are like pawn shop dealers.....what you have isn't worth crap and what they have is worth gold. There can't be many left with less than 5,000 miles so he should keep the price. Barrett Jackson would be the place to get the right money for it. Collectors not owners.

I disagree completely with this comment. I have seen several posts in the past where the members have supported other members and their asking prices for their cars.......$40k is way too high, plain and simple. I doubt many will support a way out of line asking price like that one............

Um, seems to me that he knows enough to ask a lot of money for one.

An @ss for every seat.

Somebody will buy that car at his asking price because there are too many people with too much money that will suddenly say "I'm gonna buy one of those cars that look like a Monte Carlo SS". $40k later he will own the neighbors car. The only way I would support that asking price is if the guy who buys it drives all over the place.

On a side note this makes me ask a question. My neighbor has a 4K mile 87 Turbo T (not a limited) hardtop that is grey/grey auto on column that is PERFECT. It has been properly stored and still has plastic on the seats and window sticker installed. I could be bought but don't know what it REALLY is worth. I really like the car and love to go over and just admire how nice it is every chance I get. The window sticker was mid $16K. What should i offer him for it so I can just look at it in my garage?:D

Just my $.02 worth, maybe not even worth that much:biggrin:

While I have not been much of an active participant on the board in the last couple of years, I just could not help voicing my opinion here after seeing the bashing you guys are giving to this poor guy.

I cannot speak to the quality or pricing of the car without seeing it first. Only after doing that could I give a fair and honest assessment. It could be an absolutely immaculate, fully documented climate controlled garage kept example with excellent original paint. It could be an avarage car with a factory/dealer(under warranty) repaint or needs paint as many of these did when they left the factory. Do any of you even know what the car really is?

I have been collecting these cars for many years and have seen good times and bad times as far as many economies as well as car markets. While neither is at its best at the moment, the higher quality lower mile cars will always command a premium especially as far as an 87 GN. Values have consistently risen over time for these cars and in all liklihood, will continue to do so. The past performance is typically a pretty good predictor of the future performance.

Is everyone looking for a deal? Sure they are, but the folks that don't have to sell or simply choose to sell, at a price, can certainly hold out. They will get their money at some point from someone.

There is a lot of junk out there for sale too and the folks that take the time and do their due diligence will find the right car at the right price for them.

I have also seen plenty of low mile cars with undisclosed damage with folks asking premium prices for them and people selling them to people that more cash than smarts buying them only to find out later that what they bought(thought they were buying) was not what they were sold.

No matter how you look at the market, here are the facts as I have learned from the market in my years of collecting these cars. As far as value escalation and resale, the following is a ranking of cars as the values escalate and how quickly the cars resell in order from greatest value escalation and saleability to the least as far as Intercooled Turbo Buicks are concerned.

GNX(547 produced)
87GN(20,193 produced)
86GN(5,512 produced)
WE4(1,547 produced)
87 & 86 T w/W02 trim(6,189 including chrome trim cars)
87 Limited(1,035 produced)
87 & 86 T w/chrome trim(6,189 including W02 trim cars)
86 WH1(463 produced)

Of course experience and opinions will vary on this, but this has been my experience over the years and it is plain to see that rarity does not always equate to value or saleability of these cars. The bottom line is that the 87 GN is the most saleable of the affordable Intercooled Turbo Buicks. Thus a low mile high quality 87 GN will bring more than a low mile T or for that matter even an 86 GN.

My personal opinion is that he might be a little high, but not by much and the bottom line is that without seeing the car, none of us can give a true opinion on the value of the car no matter what our level of experience. One thing for sure, he is smart enough to weed out the tire kickers. If anyone has seen the car in person, I would like to hear their opinion. There are certainly enough Turbo Buick guys in the Maryland area that someone should at least take the time to check out out for any interested parties that are more than a couple of hours away.

Now you can all feel free to bash me to for stating the facts!:biggrin:

While I have not been much of an active participant on the board in the last couple of years, I just could not help voicing my opinion here after seeing the bashing you guys are giving to this poor guy.

I cannot speak to the quality or pricing of the car without seeing it first. Only after doing that could I give a fair and honest assessment. It could be an absolutely immaculate, fully documented climate controlled garage kept example with excellent original paint. It could be an avarage car with a factory/dealer(under warranty) repaint or needs paint as many of these did when they left the factory. Do any of you even know what the car really is?

I have been collecting these cars for many years and have seen good times and bad times as far as many economies as well as car markets. While neither is at its best at the moment, the higher quality lower mile cars will always command a premium especially as far as an 87 GN. Values have consistently risen over time for these cars and in all liklihood, will continue to do so. The past performance is typically a pretty good predictor of the future performance.

Is everyone looking for a deal? Sure they are, but the folks that don't have to sell or simply choose to sell, at a price, can certainly hold out. They will get their money at some point from someone.

There is a lot of junk out there for sale too and the folks that take the time and do their due diligence will find the right car at the right price for them.

I have also seen plenty of low mile cars with undisclosed damage with folks asking premium prices for them and people selling them to people that more cash than smarts buying them only to find out later that what they bought(thought they were buying) was not what they were sold.

No matter how you look at the market, here are the facts as I have learned from the market in my years of collecting these cars. As far as value escalation and resale, the following is a ranking of cars as the values escalate and how quickly the cars resell in order from greatest value escalation and saleability to the least as far as Intercooled Turbo Buicks are concerned.

GNX(547 produced)
87GN(20,193 produced)
86GN(5,512 produced)
WE4(1,547 produced)
86 WH1(463 produced)

Of course experience and opinions will vary on this, but this has been my experience over the years and it is plain to see that rarity does not always equate to value or saleability of these cars. The bottom line is that the 87 GN is the most saleable of the affordable Intercooled Turbo Buicks. Thus a low mile high quality 87 GN will bring more than a low mile T or for that matter even an 86 GN.

My personal opinion is that he might be a little high, but not by much and the bottom line is that without seeing the car, none of us can give a true opinion on the value of the car no matter what our level of experience. One thing for sure, he is smart enough to weed out the tire kickers. If anyone has seen the car in person, I would like to hear their opinion. There are certainly enough Turbo Buick guys in the Maryland area that someone should at least take the time to check out out for any interested parties that are more than a couple of hours away.

I think your pretty much dead on here. BUT......$40k, in this economy well.........It's gonna be tuff to see that kind of green for a GN. Just my 02 and well we all know everyone has one of those........:biggrin:

KB

4k gn

I could see mid to high 20's in this economy, maybe 30 if the car is perfect and a dream customer comes along.

Price is a little high. I just sold a 87 G.N. Mint with 900 Original miles with all documentation, museum quality for 35k.:cool:

Somebody with more money than sense will buy that car for $32000 to $35000, take it home, park it in another climate controlled garage for another 5 to 10 years and then sell it for $40000 to $50000 if not more, simply because there are so few of these with under 5k miles left. It's an investment car, not a driver.

GNX(547 produced)
87GN(20,193 produced)
86GN(5,512 produced)
WE4(1,547 produced)
86 WH1(463 produced)

Well stated, Good to see you around again. You used to have a signature that I laughed my arse off at.... Something about bicycle wheels respoked, revivals held etc. That was funny.

Somebody will buy this car.... probably close to what he is asking.

I could see mid to high 20's in this economy, maybe 30 if the car is perfect and a dream customer comes along.

I realize that nationally the economy is not good and I'm not looking to buy anything at the moment, but, I will tell you what, I'll buy all of the perfect, 5k original mile or less, fully documented 87 Grand Nationals you can find for $30k or less in any economy. I will take a "DEAL" in a minute and in my opinion, that would be a deal!!!:biggrin:

Well stated, Good to see you around again. You used to have a signature that I laughed my arse off at.... Something about bicycle wheels respoked, revivals held etc. That was funny.

Somebody will buy this car.... probably close to what he is asking.

Ty,

Good to see you're still kickin out there! I'll see if I can dig that sig up and add it back. It was some funny **** that I decided to put out there just for kicks. Have a great memorial day!

Thanks,
Bryan :biggrin:

Ty,

Good to see you're still kickin out there! I'll see if I can dig that sig up and add it back. It was some funny **** that I decided to put out there just for kicks. Have a great memorial day!

Thanks,
Bryan :biggrin:

That was some funny ****:D Have a great one yourself man!