4340 forged crank demand

Keep me posted!

This does sound almost too good to be true. However, I am very interested. I currently have a block waiting to find a forged crank and rods. And many of my customers would be interested also. I don't want to be a guinea pig for this project though. Please, keep me informed via posts, e-mails, photos, etc.

4340 Crank

Another owner lookin to get upgraded from nod. iron stocker crank. What is status on group order ??

Does the whole group want stock dimensions or are there some stroker cranks wanted ??

Can same shop prep. two, 4340 - 4 bolt center caps and add em in for say another $150.00 or so ?

For $900.00 (+/-) I'd like to get stock diemensions, knife edged, non twist, as a base order. Like most other shops, every thing ADDS onto the price.

900 is a very good price. I'm interested. just for giggles guys, I have some ZR1 corvettes, the forged stroker cranks are ( RU sitting down) 6K. I nearly fainted. yes, volume does affect price.

the buick crank design is a bit hard to make but in our age of CNC and high tech non twist billet forgings, all things are possible with the right amount of cash. I saw a CNC that could take a billet and spit out a nearly ready to run crank.

amazing.:cool:

I sure like the idea of someone making good TR parts at reasonable prices :)

Not sure about one thing here though. You said they are a big company (name being withheld for some reason) with similar qty levels of oliver. With a company this big, why would they need any money down, let alone a crank paid for up front? They should have no problem with making a small batch of say 20 cranks just based on the interest shown here.

If this company isn't setup for retail sales, let me know. I would be happy to be a dealer for them if things are really as good as they sound here. I would have to get a crank & set of rods first to test out & ensure they are a good product before we would offer them. As many know, we only sell the best :)

Please pass on our company info to them. I would be glad to help them and our Buick community out on this one. Keeps the V-6 alive and kicking! I think I have my brother talked into pulling the SBC out of his Datsun & putting a Turbo V-6 in it's place :) His car looks a lot like Derricks, if anyone remembers his. Upper 10's on pump gas :D

Forged Crank Forum

More to the forged crank story ... (possibly one of the most interesting and controversial topic anywhere)

I recently moved to new digs so most of my correspondence
re: "GN's" was in storage. Got it now

Aug. 1 2001 . Telephone quote from "Brian" at SCAT ext # 130.
Scat Forged stock dimension Custom Billet steel Buick V6 even-fire crank $1995.00 plus $45.00 balancing fee. 12 weeks delivery. No written quote for quantity over 1 ... but they said something can be arranged when a quantity is determined.

Aug. 13 2001 . Faxed quote from "Dave" at Crower
Crower stock dimensioned Billet steel Buick V6 even fire crank. Crower part # 95156-C $2449.00 plus balance (no fee quoted) FOR A SINGLE ORDER...12 to 14 weeks delivery.

same as above BUT $1999.98 plus balance FOR AN ORDER OF 5

So . this leads me to believe that one or two of the bigger better known Crank Manufactures (SCAT - CROWER) can and will deal with quantity orders MORE pieces - LESS price this has got to be due to CNC machine process. GOD BLESS AMERICA , Technology and Capitalism.

So the challenge is there ... are there any performance shops out there that want to set up as a distributership of bulk ordered
cranks... for all us Buick fanatics??
Can enough orders be placed to get us down to the mystical $900. 00 range ???

ds

When this crank project is finished it will be right around 1000 FOR A CRANK. Dont think that quality is better just because the cost is higher. The comany i am talking to SUPPLIES lunati, crower, eagle, scat, ect. This isnt a fly by night company.

Brian

Has anyone ever thought about contacting Summit Racing to see if they get a forged Buick v6 crank offered? They have numerous forged cranks for chevy & ford plus deeeeep pockets compared to other vendors.

All we need to do is show them there is enough interest.

Just my thoughts.

Mark

I would like one too. 109 blocks can be found but the cranks are coming hard to find and it would be nice to have an alternative. Hey I need a new project so let me know too. Oh and as for Summit or Jegs, They barely keep head ans main kits from ARP in stock. They do not even keep cam rod and main bearings in stock none the less a forged crank

Crank Deal

Count me in for one crank at $900.00 PROVIDED that some of the mystery surrounding this piece is cleared. As the old saying goes "if its TOO good to be true" "it probably aint true" so
if some facts are made clear and this is the real deal ... then lets get on with it.

As a minimum requirement, anything thats forged, and will be subjected to the stresses created in a 6+hp mill should be no less in quality and spec. than the Buick (raw) forged part # 25500008 which is a 4140 steel (30-34Rc hardness) piece. This raw forging is capable of handling 2.66" to 3.625" strokes when machined to finish spec. For anybody to say that stroke length changes (say from stock 3.4 to whatever size up or down) doesn't make any diff. in $$ .... I wonder about that. Anyplace I've ever been, time is money..and it takes time to change machine set ups manually or to re-program for CNC .... all takes TIME (time = money) so excuse my scepticism.

Buick recommends that a crank journal should be between .852" to .857" wide (for rolled fillet cranks) and runout in less than .0035".

The point is that any shop claiming to grind cranks better be accustomed to working to very close tolerances.

Its better that all us prospective buyers air our concerns BEFORE we drop the cash eh ??

You might want to talk to TA performance. I think that they are trying to get something lined up for use in the new block.

Tom

this is just sounds to good to be true. WHY DONT YOU TELL US THE NAME OF THIS COMPANY?? whats the problem? Would anyone be interested in going in halfs with me to buy up to 100 cranks from scat or crower if they would give us a better deal than what was offered?

Originally posted by chiken
......whats the problem? Would anyone be interested in going in halfs with me to buy up to 100 cranks from scat or crower if they would give us a better deal than what was offered?

If you are able and willing to put up that kind of money, contact me direct. I have been involved in this project, and the quantities now required have a problem of getting funded.

Brian,

We do need to know the company name. You can put me in for one or two.

We do need to see some R&D and QA load test reports.

Originally posted by Nick Micale

If you are able and willing to put up that kind of money, contact me direct. I have been involved in this project, and the quantities now required have a problem of getting funded.

sorry i would only be interested in scat or crower. i havent gone wrong yet investing in sure things!!