4340 forged crank demand

Trbobuick

Boost addict
OK folks,

i have the info in hand. I spoke with the guy who is going to make my forged rods today. I asked if he could forge a buick even fire crank. He told me that he did one four years ago but he couldnt find demand. i asked him if he was familer with a buick crank. he then said " yeah, that split journal looks like a pain to make but it isnt a problem to machine. He told me he still had the die and would make me as many as we wanted with no minimum. I also asked about 6.2 rods and 3.625 stroke crank he said the price was the same: 400 for i bean rods and 500 for h beam rods both with arp bolts. 900.00 for a 4340 crank in any stroke we want.

Who wants one?

I need some real demand here to get him to make them. Who here is ready to put money down right now for a crank? IMHO 900 for a new forged crank is a steal.

Please respond with positive results so i can foward this post to him.

Brian

Yes you are correct, thats not bad for a crank, if made with the right materials and correctly.On top i has to be a proven part. When and if this is done then i would say a lot of cranks and rods would be sold at that price.But you are gonna encounter skeptisism about this.After all this is not Crower, Cola, Carillo,Oliver ect you know manufacturers with parts on the track and getting beat on.

What I want to know is :
whos this manufacturer? Whats their track record? What kind of operation do they run? Do we have pre manufactured parts to inspect? materials? And many more???S

Fill us in. Im still interested.
Thanks
Louie
:)

Louie is right, for people to trust the quality of the product it must be proven 1st $900 would be a great deal for a 4340 forged steel crank,but what grade of 4340 is being used? Scat cranks web site had some great info on this before they updated their site but if I remeber correctly there is somewhere around 12-20 grades of 4340 steel as explained by Scat thats like comparing Hersheys choclate to Godiva with all the other blends in between. so For $900 are you getting the Godiva? you could only hope. and if it breaks you better hope it at least tastes like Hersheys.:D

hello,

It is a major company that does volume = to oliver and possibly crower. That is all they do is cranks and rods. I WILL keep everybody posted about exact metrial grade, wait time ect.

As for 900 for a forged crank being too much, i just saw someone at norwalk pay more that that for a new still in the box stock crank. If this crank is only , say, 30 % stronger for the same price is it not still worth it?

Brian

I am also interested , please keep us posted on all the info you come across. strength is my concern. Thanks for looking into it.

First off 4340 is the chemistry of alloying agents and carbon content. They can vary but that's good stuff. What they do to it during forging and machining affects it greatly as well.

I tell ya' 900 for a standard steel crank is pretty good. Is it a non twist? Put me down as real interested for the crank and rods.

What is the composition of a Buick motorsports piece?

I would probably take at least a couple of these if these a true deal.

I would be interested in a crank by the end of the year.

WELL,
thats 8 cranks so far including mine.

now, who of you would pay him up front if you were asked to do so?

Brian

I will pay upfront for one crank.

If the cranks turn out to be great, he will have NO trouble getting rid of them...

Is that $900 for a raw forging, or fully machined and journals ground to size, ready to install?

I would be in as well, although once rolling I hope the quality will be the same. Seen alot of products start great but once orders are filled and money is recieved, downhill from there....

Is that $900 for a raw forging, or fully machined and journals ground to size, ready to install?

Thats a good question.

I'd be in for one and a set of rods.

Steve

Originally posted by Trbobuick
hello,

It is a major company that does volume = to oliver and possibly crower. That is all they do is cranks and rods. I WILL keep everybody posted about exact metrial grade, wait time ect.

As for 900 for a forged crank being too much, i just saw someone at norwalk pay more that that for a new still in the box stock crank. If this crank is only , say, 30 % stronger for the same price is it not still worth it?

Brian

More than $900 bucks for a stock, new turbo crank????

You might help us all out here if you can stop being so mystical about the manufacturer.

Similar volume to Oliver...

Scat? Cola?

I'll take one FOR SURE at $900 if I can be assured of some of the particulars. Non-twist? Narrow/Wide journal? Any warranty? Balancing options?

Not trying to be a downer, but these are questions we'll all want answered, if not more. Thanks.

Originally posted by QuickWrench
You might help us all out here if you can stop being so mystical about the manufacturer.

Similar volume to Oliver...

Scat? Cola?

I'll take one FOR SURE at $900 if I can be assured of some of the particulars. Non-twist? Narrow/Wide journal? Any warranty? Balancing options?

Not trying to be a downer, but these are questions we'll all want answered, if not more. Thanks.

This is exactly what i was getting at. Im in too if and when all questions are answered and i see a finished piece. Ive already gotten my butt screwing this year on one useless crank:eek:

Crank and Rods?

I'd be interested to. But I have a few questions too.;)

What is the estimated time frame to make this crank?

Can the guy make a demo one first?

Is this guy well known?

What grade of 4340 material?

Would like to see some pics of crank and I beam and H beam
rods.

Sounds to be a screaming deal but at the same time sounds aliitle iffy. Need lot more info would not like to get all happy at first
and turnaround and get screwed from behind if u know what I mean:rolleyes:

I doubt VERY seriously that the crank will come balanced, no way to tell what pistons are being used(TRW,JE,oversized ETC) and you better find out if they will be internally balanced.then you will need a new $300 balancer and $200 flywheel.They should come fully Machined ready for Balance job. But I still see your point on the crank Issue, theres getting to be less factory cranks every year.and to answer the scat crank price difference $650-SBC to a $2200-Buick the 1st difference is one is made from Billet the other isnt. a Billet SBC crank runs around $1200 a standard Billet Buick crank is $1800 the $2200 Billet Buick piece has Knife-Edging + a few other things. still a bit higher but its a specialty crank,Custom piece thats why its higher $$. they claim the Billets are forged from the Highest grade 4340 available,then CNC machined one of the nicest cranks around but BIG$$ . If you guys can get a good quality 4340 forged steel non twist crank for $900 all of you better jump on em!!
Nashty- the Buick Motorsports crank according to my Buick books was made from Forged 5140 steel(28-34 Rc Hardness) had 2.66-3.625 stroke capability and was sold unmachined.

Later guys

What is the estimated time frame to make this crank?

THAT HASNT BEEN RESOLVED YET.

Can the guy make a demo one first?

HE WILL MAKE MINE. ILL POST PICS.

Is this guy well known?

HIS COMPANY IS, HE IS NOT.

What grade of 4340 material?

FORGED 4340.

Would like to see some pics of crank and I beam and H beam
rods.
I WILL POST PICS OF MY 6.2 RODS AND 3.625 CRANK :)

BRIAN