401K Withdrawal!!!

John you made a very good point here when you said "I have done better by not spending it" thats one thing a 401k does do. Its a good place for someone who is poor at saving money to do it. You may not make a ton of money like you would if you studied the stock market yourself of better yet payed a broker but at least its not spent on a trip to mexico or a new big screen TV. You do have some savings and if something catastropic does come up you can access it. It is also there for you for a loan and i dont care what anyone says its a hell of alot smarter to use your own money with no interest then to pay on a credit card and pay twice for something. I get a kick out of people that think there playing the market and are going to get rich. If they were that sharp they wouldnt need a 401k theyd be doing it on there own. You need to ask my brother in law. hes a fairly intelegent man. Hes a dental surgeon and had a ton of money in his 401k and in 2000 lost over a million dollars in a matter of a month or two. He said enough and pulled the rest of his out with a very larger penelty and started playing the market himself. Hes more then made up for his penelty allready and says hes making some pretty good money on his investments now. Now hes got it kind of made for doing it. He only works 2 days a week now so he has time and he also has a best friend thats a retired stock broker. He once told me theres big money to be made in the stock market and the big money is being made by the companys that are investing all this money that is going into 401ks and retirement funds. What company would like millions of dollars handed to them and not being told what to do with it. You can trust them if you want but trust is something i reserver for a couple close friends.
Lloyd is making some good points. I am not proud of my 401K either. I have adjusted, contributed, and after being wiped out 50% in 2000, I came back 3x as much to present day but I contributed half of that. I do not believe it is as big of a money maker as most would have you believe. Now if you spend 10+ hours a week researching individual stocks and get good at it, I can see someone making 11% annually. I have done better by not spending money than by investing it. Maybe I am just not as smart as most folks but I currently see more benefit from the tax deferral than the investment itself. It is so up and down. Make it, lose it, over and over. I heard we have been in a sideways economy since 1998. I am starting to believe it and at my age (almost 47), I need to get more on top of this stuff before I wake up in 20 years wondering what the hell happened.

My main thing is we roll any 401K into our IRA whenever we leave an employer. This gives me pretty much unrestricted access to trading in areas that were previously unavailable with just my 401K. Yes, if I had enough in my current 401K, I would quit this job just to get more rolled into the IRA. I know it sounds crazy but, long term it's just a job here.

The other thing to consider is what would be the impact of not contributing until you reached your 13K level you are pulling out? This would prevent any penalty from fidelity or whatever 401K plan you are in. The end result is the same because you would still be paying taxes on it as income, without the bump into another tax bracket (maybe). Have you looked into the total amount out of your pocket if you get a personal loan? I think it would be lower than pulling 20K after all finance charges. AND.... once paid off, it will help your credit score.

I can hear the words of President Bush recently, ringing in my ears!

"I'm not an economist- but I do believe the economy is growing"

ooook-
...That's all I have to say about that.."

My 401k will grow too- right, yep- The Journey song from the last episode of Sopranos rings in my ears- "Don't Stop, Believing...!":D

FOLKS

WITHDRAW SOME MONEY FROM YOUR 401K-NOW!!!!!

I'm so glad I WITHDREW money from my 401k. Not a loan either.

NO REGRETS!!! IF IT GOES DOWN TO ZERO, YOU FOLKS WILL ALL REGRET NOT TAKING A DIME OUT OF YOUR SAVINGS!

SELL-WITHDRAW-STOP PUTTING LARGE % OF YOUR SALARY INTO A 401K!!!

DIVERSIFY, DIVERSIFY!!!!

I knew this thread would come back with the recent market dive. This is a correction that has been building for years. The market will recover, and you'll still be better off when you're ready to retire than had you taken it out, paid the penalties, and stuffed it under a mattress.

Jim

Lol... There is sucker born every minute. DO NOT draw from ur 401k. Ur buying shares at such a rediculous low rate right now. I hope it stays this way until about 6 mnths from when I retire which is 7-8 years from now.

Buy low, sell high. If u cash out now ur a fool. The smart investors will buy as much as they can right now. Would you rather buy a share at $50 or $5? The market will come back up and so will ur money at a much higher rate. That is what the stock market does and has for the last 100 years.

I'm considering just taking out $$$ from my 401K! Has anyone looked at their Year to Date Lately?? Gosh, I'm down almost 12%!!!!! Thousands, Thousands of Dollars lost!!!! Go$H DARN IT!

I'm just going to Withdraw Money- Screw it! I'm good, and will be good later on! I don't want any more loss that I can't help. I'll just pay the fines now, who the hell cares. What happens if it goes down to ZERO!?? Then what happens?

I'm calling Fidelity- No need for Hardship Withdrawal. My Company allows a withdrawal minus, state and local taxes, penalty fee, and next tax year 10% penalty fee- that's roughly around 40%! Who cares though. I'm not taking a loan, it's my money anyways, and I don't need to pay myself back at this moment.

Who else on this board has done this? Anyone? I'm curious.

Stand fast, shipmate. The market goes up and down. Dont be a fvcktard and take your money out on a down market. BUY STOCK!!

I can hear the words of President Bush recently, ringing in my ears!

"I'm not an economist- but I do believe the economy is growing"

ooook-
...That's all I have to say about that.."

My 401k will grow too- right, yep- The Journey song from the last episode of Sopranos rings in my ears- "Don't Stop, Believing...!":D

A couple points come to my mind as I read this.

1. It is your money, at least the part you put in. The penalties and interest, as well as the match get swept out by penalties when you with draw early. Your call. I'm glad you are happy with your decision.

2. As stated, the market is much different now than it was 50, 20 even 5 years ago. The paradigm shift from defined benefit to defined contribution retirement plans has forced everyone(Most anyway) into becoming investors whether they want to or not. As you may have noticed the 401k and 403b plans as well as most mutual funds have their capital in the US stock market. I'm pretty sure this is why it has made gains over the last thirty five years. This is also why I am pretty sure we will see declines in the next 35. What went in will come out due to the babyboom generation retiring and begining to with draw the funds that made the market reap its gains. I'm not calling it a crash but a decline. Simple supply and demand requires it.

3. What is going to happen next. The last true bastion of US dominance is under attack from the very markets that made them dominant. The banking industry is getting pummeled into submission by the things that made them. I think it is just a matter of time before the big money goes elsewhere to reap profits as here there will be none. I'm pretty sure Putin didn't think it through before invading and now his market is crashing because of instability. I bet he would go for a 'do over'.

4. I think the biggest problem right now is that the general public doesn't know the difference between an asset and a liability. Some how they have been made to believe that their home is their asset. While I will agree that it is an asset. The asset it is the asset of the bank or institution that holds the mortgage. Assets put money into your pocket, liabilities take money out. Even if you think you own your home free and clear just stop maintaining it and paying the taxes and you will find out who really owns it and allows you to live there. The GNX is never an asset in my mind. Even if you 'make' money when you sell the storage and maintenance over the time of ownership offsets a good portion.

Cashflow is king.

If it isn't putting dollars into your pocket it is a liability.

I'm will try to simply this the best I can in layman's terms.

Mutual funds are simply a collection of stocks. When those particular stocks don't perfrom well the mutual funds suffer. I have available to me about (30) different mutual funds to choose from. International funds, small-cap funds, mid-cap funds, large-cap and a few bonds. Some people will have many more to choose from.

Of the (30) or so funds available to me they are ALL down an average of about 10%. Yes, all of them! Even the ones that have averaged 13-14% return over the last (10) years.

I invest $300.00 a week into my mutual funds.

I will use round numbers to make this a little easier to understand. If I am investing $300.00 a week into my funds and each share is worth say $30.00 each I would have (10) shares worth $30.00 each. Mutual funds can be made up of 100's of stocks so again, I am using layman's terms here. There are other variables but this is just to simply things.

So if my share is now worth $15.00 vs. $30.00 then I am now buying (20) shares vs. (10) to reach that $300.00 mark. So now I am buying twice as many shares as I was before. When the market rebounds (and it always does) those shares that I have bought has now doubled in volume and value. Yes VALUE!

For example, if you are investing in say a solid Mourningstar rated 4 or 5 star long term growth funds then you will be safe. This won't be the first time the market dips in ones life. It will happen again for sure. I welcome it everytime it happens because I don't plan on retiring for 8-10 years. The more funds you have the more money you will make in the end.

Your not buying money. Your buying stocks that are worth money. The more you can accumulate the more money you will eventually have when their value increases. This is the time to throw as much money as you can at a proven and solid rated long term growth fund. (20) X $30.00 (The stocks value) will now give me $600.00 yet I put in $300.00. The $30.00 valued stock will actually go up so look at it more like (20) X $33.00 for example as the stock rebounds and gains ground with its value. So not only do you have more stock but they are worth more. The compounding cycles contines throught ones life. Again, these are LAYMAN"S terms. Splits, etc... are left out.

I'm will try to simply this the best I can in layman's terms.

Mutual funds are simply a collection of stocks. When those particular stocks don't perfrom well the mutual funds suffer. I have available to me about (30) different mutual funds to choose from. International funds, small-cap funds, mid-cap funds, large-cap and a few bonds. Some people will have many more to choose from.

Of the (30) or so funds available to me they are ALL down an average of about 10%. Yes, all of them! Even the ones that have averaged 13-14% return over the last (10) years.

I invest $300.00 a week into my mutual funds.

I will use round numbers to make this a little easier to understand. If I am investing $300.00 a week into my funds and each share is worth say $30.00 each I would have (10) shares worth $30.00 each. Mutual funds can be made up of 100's of stocks so again, I am using layman's terms here. There are other variables but this is just to simply things.

So if my share is now worth $15.00 vs. $30.00 then I am now buying (20) shares vs. (10) to reach that $300.00 mark. So now I am buying twice as many shares as I was before. When the market rebounds (and it always does) those shares that I have bought has now doubled in volume and value. Yes VALUE!

For example, if you are investing in say a solid Mourningstar rated 4 or 5 star long term growth funds then you will be safe. This won't be the first time the market dips in ones life. It will happen again for sure. I welcome it everytime it happens because I don't plan on retiring for 8-10 years. The more funds you have the more money you will make in the end.

Your not buying money. Your buying stocks that are worth money. The more you can accumulate the more money you will eventually have when their value increases. This is the time to throw as much money as you can at a proven and solid rated long term growth fund. (20) X $30.00 (The stocks value) will now give me $600.00 yet I put in $300.00. The $30.00 valued stock will actually go up so look at it more like (20) X $33.00 for example as the stock rebounds and gains ground with its value. So not only do you have more stock but they are worth more. The compounding cycles contines throught ones life. Again, these are LAYMAN"S terms. Splits, etc... are left out.

To me the reason the mutual fund was developed was to 'sucker' in money from the uninitiated. It is purported to be safe but man what a ride. To me it is like having the fox mind the henhouse.

While I agree with your points, what happens if the market doesn't keep its pace?

Not that it won't, but remember almost 40 years ago the 401k was initiated and I think it can be used as the reason the market has continued to grow in this country over that time. I believe over the next thirty years as these babyboomers begin to make withdrawals to support their retirement, it could lead to a decline. On every prospectus I have seen is the disclaimer "past performance this no guarantee of future gains" or something like that.

I do put money into my companies 401k to get the match and I also buy their discounted stock that they offer. I'm just trying to figure out a way to avoid the forced rollercoaster ride that an IRA, 401k, SEP, 403b as well as other retirement plans forces. Theirs very limited escape routes once you jump on and get belted in.

To me the reason the mutual fund was developed was to 'sucker' in money from the uninitiated. It is purported to be safe but man what a ride. To me it is like having the fox mind the henhouse.

While I agree with your points, what happens if the market doesn't keep its pace?

Not that it won't, but remember almost 40 years ago the 401k was initiated and I think it can be used as the reason the market has continued to grow in this country over that time. I believe over the next thirty years as these babyboomers begin to make withdrawals to support their retirement, it could lead to a decline. On every prospectus I have seen is the disclaimer "past performance this no guarantee of future gains" or something like that.

I do put money into my companies 401k to get the match and I also buy their discounted stock that they offer. I'm just trying to figure out a way to avoid the forced rollercoaster ride that an IRA, 401k, SEP, 403b as well as other retirement plans forces. Theirs very limited escape routes once you jump on and get belted in.

I hear ya. Your concers are no different then many of my friends concerns. And they are valid concers and the points you make are a valid points as well.

Long term investments (457, 401k, etc..) are not designed to make a quick buck. There is no way to avoid the roller coaster ride. That is what the market does. Goes up, goes down. But when the ride is over you are up more then you are down.

In the end you will simply end up with a lot more then you started with. Will there be times when it seems like your throwing your money away? For sure. Those times would be now. The market went up 400+ points today tho. It will do that more often then it will loose 400+ points. That's the only thing that really matters when your talking about retirement accounts.

Also the money you invest is tax deductable either way and lowers your AI when doing your taxes year after year. Say you earn a $1000.00 more each year because you have now lowered ur AI by $15,500 and are now in a lower tax bracket. Investing that $1000.00 alone each year for (30) years adds up more then $100k. So at $15,500 for (30) years your at $1.2 million from the 401k alone. The other $1k each year could go to a Roth or something similar.

Investing week after week, year after year is also about putting money in a place other then the gutter considering all the toys you never needed. A large percentage of the money you will have in the end is the money you put into it.

Even if your money had a 0.00% increase in return you would still have $465,000.00 after (30) years if you maxed out your 401k. Again, at 8% you have 1.2 million.

In the end that is what means anything. Over time, a very long time. Start saving at age (25) and retire at (55). That's the norm for a lot of people. But considering the avg. age for retirement is (65) now that also means that people are living longer and therefore investing longer.

It's not what the market did today, tomorrow or yesterday. Even modest increases in your return will still yield you enough money to retire on. So even if you think the babyboomers will affect the market do you think it will affect it to only offer a 5% annual return on your investment? That is highly unlikely. At 5% your still over $800k tho.

Everyone does well when we are in a bull market. And everyone wants to invest more when the market is booming. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are investing for the long term and not short term. When the market is a bear maket and suffering that is the true test of how solid your investment is. As you get older it is aways an option to place part of your money in a U.S. Treasury bond or something similar. Very secure.

Tech stock as we know tanked 4-5 years ago. There was great yield with tech stocks but there was great loss that came with it. That risk is something one could choose to do when he is young. But at (55) thats not such a good idea because you can't recupe in time.

Is there any guarentee that what you are invested in will tank and never return? Of course there is always that risk. It's all about lowering that risk and realizing that even the best traders and investors can't outsmart the market.

I attempted to sway a few of my co-workers away from those tech stocks that were investing in cutting edge stuff. It was risky. No doubt. When your in a fund that is pulling 30% you never think it will tank. Those are some of the risks that people took. knowing when to exit is critical. Greed can make people rich or cause them to go belly up.

Some retire at (30) because they got lucky and invested wisely. Not because they were brillant investors. Don't get me wrong I have quite a few friends that are traders and make a crapload of money and are very smart. Few of them have invested in a 401k tho. It's not how much you make it's how much you don't thro away. But for the average person who is investing week after week for retirement the risk is actually quite low and the reward is usually quite high. Decade to decade means a lot more then year to year when looking at what the market is doing.

4. I think the biggest problem right now is that the general public doesn't know the difference between an asset and a liability. Some how they have been made to believe that their home is their asset. While I will agree that it is an asset. The asset it is the asset of the bank or institution that holds the mortgage. Assets put money into your pocket, liabilities take money out. Even if you think you own your home free and clear just stop maintaining it and paying the taxes and you will find out who really owns it and allows you to live there. The GNX is never an asset in my mind. Even if you 'make' money when you sell the storage and maintenance over the time of ownership offsets a good portion.

Atleast from a financial accounting point of view.

A home is an asset, mortgage is the liability.

A GNX is an asset, that has yearly expenses (Insurance, Storage, & Maintenance). It more if its not a good investment because its hard to make money on a car with all the yearly expenses factored in.

Atleast from a financial accounting point of view.

A home is an asset, mortgage is the liability.

A GNX is an asset, that has yearly expenses (Insurance, Storage, & Maintenance). It more if its not a good investment because its hard to make money on a car with all the yearly expenses factored in.

How does a home you live in put money in your pocket? Maybe our definitions are different.

To me an asset puts money in your pocket. While a house you 'own' (and I use the term loosely, just stop paying the taxes and you'll find out who really owns it) might put money in your pocket, I can't see how a house you live in puts money in your pocket.

A GNX is a toy that takes quite a bit of upkeep. This in my mind is why many have a hard time getting beyond just being an employee. Return on Investment (ROI) comes into play with any of these examples. Time brings a bunch to a screeching halt. If you have to wait for a return, it kinda kills the ROI.

Check out Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by R. Kiosaki. It really helped me with 'real world' financial concepts.

Not all assets are liquid like cash or stocks are. Home equity is an asset that is a component of net worth. Cars, paintings, jewelry, musical instruments, etc., are "tangible assets." It can obviously be a hassle to quickly convert these to liquid assets (as when Bruno comes over demanding the dough you owe), and without a recent appraisal, their current worth can be hard to pin down.

Not all assets are liquid l, their current worth can be hard to pin down.

I'll give you that. It sounds like a false sense of security to me. Don't kid yourself. Most in this country are about three missed paychecks from bankruptcy.

I guess our definitions are quite different. While doodads and such are nice to play with they don't put a roof over my and my family's head or put food on the table. In my reality an asset puts cash in my pocket and helps me buy the previously mentioned toys. Even my retirement accounts to me are not assets as they are far from putting money in my pocket. In fact they cost me every time I make a deposit. That to me is a liability, and is accounted as such on my balance sheet.

Stop kidding your self. This might be why we are having all these foreclosures. People used all these so called 'assets' as collateral and now are unable to "liquefy" them to pay the mortgage. Bad plan for all concerned.

WITHDRAW!!!! WITHDRAW!!!!!

TAKE MONEY OUT OF YOUR 401k NOW!!!!!

IT'S GOING TO DISAPPEAR SOON...
:eek:

Buy Low is good, but good luck to you

I watched as many of my fellow colleagues took out withdrawals today on their 401ks. NOT LOANS BUT WITHDRAWALS TO THE MAX!

Only buy if you have the money...

If you have money tied up in stocks, then move them to Long Term Bonds and Treasury Securities.

I moved everything- and took a withdrawal already and I have doubled my money myself since taking it out. I bought a hybrid wholesale and flipped it. I made a killing!!