4" intake requires plenum spacer??

Brandon706

I just converted to a SD tune, so Im interested in using a RJC 4" intake. I am concerned about clearance between the 3" up pipe. Will I need a plenum spacer? If so will a 1" spacer clear with the vacuum block deleted? thanks

One of the larger issues is the IAC fitting, even with the 45degree adapter, if you have 3" intercooler pipes. which it sounds like you do.

If people run the 1" spacers without issue, I wouldn't see there being a problem with the spacer, especially if you deleted the vacuum block.

I would be more concerned about the clearance of the piping around the turbo inlet and IAC.

I run a spacer and have a 4” intake pipe
7D6B6FF7-1016-4C62-B27C-4FA1E179FFC9.jpeg
9CCCF0B9-B5A1-47F4-B13E-0BCE430B9D42.jpeg
00C91F56-22E6-4CE6-898C-930CD94864B3.jpeg

I run the 4" Big Mouth air intake. Had to "dimple" the bottom of my up pipe about a quarter of an inch to make it work.
No spacer and still have the vac block. Not sure if this helps.

Attachments

• GN engine, brushed alt 033.JPG
    GN engine, brushed alt 033.JPG
    789.1 KB · Views: 87
I used a 4 inch intake tube, 3 inch up-pipe, no spacer, but I used a 70mm plenum and accufab TB. I'd recommend denting the bottom of the pipe so it doesn't push the radiator hose into the belt. I now run a 1 inch spacer (for vac lines etc) and I stuck a 6 inch K&N right on the turbo for now, no inlet pipe at all- it actually clears the rad hose just fine.
IMG_9417.JPG

IMG_9414.JPG

I used a 4 inch intake tube, 3 inch up-pipe, no spacer, but I used a 70mm plenum and accufab TB. I'd recommend denting the bottom of the pipe so it doesn't push the radiator hose into the belt. I now run a 1 inch spacer (for vac lines etc) and I stuck a 6 inch K&N right on the turbo for now, no inlet pipe at all- it actually clears the rad hose just fine. View attachment 331805

View attachment 331804

One thing to remember is the accufab / Kenne Bell plenums are stock height, where as the Precision plenum is 5/8" taller than stock.

I don't know about the Hemcos or others, but something to keep in mind.

I have the Precision plenum w/ RJC's power plate and my vac block was into the hood liner (before I modded the vac block), but I have the stock motor mounts and stock body bushings at the moment.

Mine is a cotton front mount with 3” up pipe and a hemco plenum no spacer with 4” fresh air, space is fine my up pipe rubs on the hood liner so I replaced it with an aluminum HOODSKIN and now it just touches with H&R motor mount

Attachments

• FC5F7CF9-5779-45E0-9AC2-590E47642048.jpeg
    FC5F7CF9-5779-45E0-9AC2-590E47642048.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
When I ran the inch spacer and a vacuum block it did wear a groove into my mint headliner. New factory passenger engine mount and H&R driver mount.

i know with GN1 plenum and 3” Rjc up pipes there is barely any room for my old 3.5 intake. I wouldnt mind using a 1” spaced so I can delete the vacuum block. U think if u had that vacuum block deleted u could use your original headliner?

i know with GN1 plenum and 3” Rjc up pipes there is barely any room for my old 3.5 intake. I wouldnt mind using a 1” spaced so I can delete the vacuum block. U think if u had that vacuum block deleted u could use your original headliner?
Yes I believe with the vacuum delete plate it would have cleared the hood pad and wouldn’t have been an issue.

I used a 4 inch intake tube, 3 inch up-pipe, no spacer, but I used a 70mm plenum and accufab TB. I'd recommend denting the bottom of the pipe so it doesn't push the radiator hose into the belt. I now run a 1 inch spacer (for vac lines etc) and I stuck a 6 inch K&N right on the turbo for now, no inlet pipe at all- it actually clears the rad hose just fine. View attachment 331805

View attachment 331804

Keep an eye on that filter for signs of deformation and twisting. Having it installed so close to the turbo will cause the walls of the filter to become somewhat pliable under repeated use. That was something we were instructed to inform customers all the time, as a lot of turbo failures came from filters collapsing and pieces of the filter mesh getting sucked into the compressor and taking out the compressor wheel. Saw it with both K&N and S&B filters when customers mounted them directly to the compressor cover like this.
Just looking out for you.

-Patrick-

My up pipe does rub on the hood liner. No spacer here.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 56