4" inlet pipe with slot style MAF

86bluet

will it ever run right
has anyone had problems with using a 4" pipe with the slot style MAF? I'm having all kinds of idle and off idle issues, going to install recirculating blow off valve and need to change inlet tube, now is the time to change sizes if I need to

Thanks for the help as always

That's pretty common for that set up. They are pain in the rear. Get a 85mm maf and put the problems behind. ;)

Just curious. Why do you want to recirculate the blow off?

Rick

I have a 50mm Tail BOV with 3- 1/8 washers under the 9# spring vented to atmosphere,work great.

Mine's fine, but it's not the all-in-one fixed pipe - it's a collection of 4 inch parts, 30* bend aluminum pipe off turbo to flex tube in S shape like stock, and then a spectre 4 inch slot maf pipe with sensor and a 4 inch K&N attached to that. The only thing is that every now and then it does go a bit lean at hot idle 16 afr, but I can't tell other than by glancing at the gauges and a slight rpm drop until the IAC kicks in. Throttle response and spoolup are instantaneous with my street setup - precision 39mm external wastegate with top port open, 15# spring with boost signal to bottom of diaphram using old school atr bleeder between turbo and wastegate. Keep in mind a 250+ inch build needs a hair bit more air at the same rpm than a 231, if that is the problem with low airflow over the meter which is why I'm not having worse problems at idle.

I had the 4" pipe / stick style MAF for a bit. It had a lot of idle problems and stalling issues. BLMs went nuts. The reported airflow at idle was +/- 1 gram/sec (or more) where a 85mm sensor is +/- 0.1 gram / sec.

I gave up on it.

buddy who builds the hennessey Venoms says if you vent metered air to atmosphere on a maf car it "could possible cause problems" like stalling, fluctuation afrs, weird idle at low speeds and other possible problems, computer has measured the air and if it goes missing it might not like it, he did not say it would happen for sure but has to him in the past, he puts them on the tt Ford Gts and porsches do not want to do the work and the "I told you so" and have to do over again. have seen other Buicks vented to atmosphere. But I got used pull offs for trade so not out any cash.

I recently switched over to a Card Style MAF [since July] and haven't experienced any problems... I went to the Nats and also drive A LOT around town..... I did "make" my own cold air kit, with a shortened RJC pipe, silicone couplers and some Spectre pieces... i use a GenII translator.

aaron

Mine is great. I will have a tip in stumble every so often..rarely tho.

Biggest thing is fan wash i have noticed that makes things skew, I run a Ext and GEN2.
otherwise it runs perfect.

Mine is great. I will have a tip in stumble every so often..rarely tho.

Biggest thing is fan wash i have noticed that makes things skew, I run a Ext and GEN2.
otherwise it runs perfect.

Yeah i have heard of some experiencing fan wash... i mounted my air filter outside of the engine compartment..... no worries. I still need to make some track passes and log some data.. but haven't had any issues.

aaron

Im going to try a deflector of some sort to see if it helps. I can walk over to the air filter and simple blow in it and the car idle will change ...its real sensitive. But boy does it flow.

has anyone had problems with using a 4" pipe with the slot style MAF? I'm having all kinds of idle and off idle issues, going to install recirculating blow off valve and need to change inlet tube, now is the time to change sizes if I need to

Thanks for the help as always

What are you mounting the blade style maf in?

was in a 4" tube thinking about going down to 3.5 or 3" tube with filter under car behind kenne belle scoop in a custom cold air box, no chance of wash

in the bottom of the straight, 2-3" from air filter side rubber coupler

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 109