4.3L with 3.8L turbo parts??

If I'm not mistaken the piston to crank angle of the two engines differs. The buick motor is built on a 90* angle and the chevy motor on a 60* . This creates a situation where the chevy with any power adders wants to push the crank out through the oil pan.

No the 4.3 is a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off for the most part and both are 90*. It is similar to a Buick since the crank has offset rod journals for even fire but thats where the similarities end.

I will let you know how hard it is to make a 4.3liter run on a buick processor in the near future. I have an 86' Gn that is running fairly well and going to be great with some tuning, and a 91 GMC Syclone with a motor that needs to be rebuilt. I have made up my mind that I will not re use the Sy processor as it is a batch fired set-up and there are several other items on the processor that make it kinda crappy. I know there are going to be a lot of things to work our but that makes it worth doing to me. Jon Hanson

Don't some Buick guys use crank sensors instead of the cam sensor? I'm sure there is a way around that one.:p gut the 4.3 distributor and use the cam sensor parts to modify it. Maybe??
all injected TR's have both crank and cam sensors, and they serve different functions.
a crank sensor does you no good for figuring out when to fire a particular injector in a sequentially injected engine, since the crank spins twice as fast as the cam.

I will let you know how hard it is to make a 4.3liter run on a buick processor in the near future. I have an 86' Gn that is running fairly well and going to be great with some tuning, and a 91 GMC Syclone with a motor that needs to be rebuilt. I have made up my mind that I will not re use the Sy processor as it is a batch fired set-up and there are several other items on the processor that make it kinda crappy. I know there are going to be a lot of things to work our but that makes it worth doing to me. Jon Hanson

On, are you planning on using the Mercury intake. I'd like to see it when you start posting some info on it.

My machinist was talking about doing the same thing, but I decided to stick with the Buick for now. The ideal is great, and the harness does not know what engine its on. Sure, there would be some fabrication, and electronic work to be done, but thats all fun right? If I had a Garage again, and the time and tools, I would go for it! The Chevy stuff is so cheap, you would have plenty left for some bad ass custom headers, or even a fast system to run it!! They have some great aluminum heads available for the 4.3 engines too! I believe the aftermarket blocks are even cheaper, and the stock crank would hold up some good power. Alot of the 1/4 midget circle track cars run 4.3 chevy engines. Thats for a reason.

you might have fun trying to find a camshaft sensor to use with the 4.3.

Just find a old Chevy distributor and make your own cam sensor. Cut both the Buick and Chevy parts in half, weld them back together and there you have a buick style cam sensor on top with with an extended Chevy lower section!

The later VORTEC 4.3 engines uses a cam sensor inside the distributor.

the typhoon engine was not a good engine and it the whole truck was discontinued 3 months after the last truck was built. gm couldnt do warranty work on them as there was no parts. the pistons kept shattering under boost and killing the engines.

the 4.3 engine is the 350 chevy with the middle cylinders cut off.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. lol

My '01 Blazer uses a cam sensor and crank sensor. Why not use current technology if you're gonna do this? Better yet, wait a year. Then have a whack at the NEW 4.3L that's coming.

And lets not forget that the SyTy 4.3L LB4 is A LOT different than the L35 and LU3 engines offered later.

whitehot84 said:
If I'm not mistaken the piston to crank angle of the two engines differs. The buick motor is built on a 90* angle and the chevy motor on a 60* . This creates a situation where the chevy with any power adders wants to push the crank out through the oil pan.

No. 2009 haha

Nelson Racing posted dyno numbers on youtube of a 4.3l chevy motor. Think they used their pattened billet 62mm turbo's.

Ford produced a 4.2l crank for the Essex block. Stroke is 2.74" with a bore of 3.81". We use 351w 6.125" rod as an upgrade and weisco sells an off the shelf forged piston. to my knowledge no one has ever cracked one of these blocks and it's been taken to 1000hp with a 1200lb/min turbo with a production sc forged crank. Wikipedia says that the ford 3.8 design is based off of the buick 90* 3.8l. I have always wondered if any parts between the 2 motors could be swaped.

Would be interesting of the buick gn could run the 01-04 obd2 ecu's out of the v6's. That could open a lot of doors for tuning capabilities.

Nelson Racing posted dyno numbers on youtube of a 4.3l chevy motor. Think they used their pattened billet 62mm turbo's.

Ford produced a 4.2l crank for the Essex block. Stroke is 2.74" with a bore of 3.81". We use 351w 6.125" rod as an upgrade and weisco sells an off the shelf forged piston. to my knowledge no one has ever cracked one of these blocks and it's been taken to 1000hp with a 1200lb/min turbo with a production sc forged crank. Wikipedia says that the ford 3.8 design is based off of the buick 90* 3.8l. I have always wondered if any parts between the 2 motors could be swaped.

Would be interesting of the buick gn could run the 01-04 obd2 ecu's out of the v6's. That could open a lot of doors for tuning capabilities.

ECM 0411 could work.

I was reading the proefi thread earlier today and all the things the guy listed available are available with the ford ecu just about. I also have a sct live wire I with a 4x2" screen that displays up to 6 parameters including af, map, trans temp, coolant temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure and about 1000 more parameters to choose from. Also the firing order are the same between the 2 engines so you could run waste spark system. Our stock coil packs have made it well beyond 800hp.

Wow!
With the GMC Syclone version ECU, one can have two programs in the chip from Turbo Tweak and flip back and forth just by flicking a switch~~true R/T. That ECM has a much faster bit rate than the buick ECM out of the OBD port. It could be a better alternative if someone takes time to mess with that idea.
Too outrageous prolly.

Sct has a 4 bank chip and quarter horse is tune on the fly meaning you can make adjustments while the car is running. What would be cool is drop a 109 into a mustang chassis and tune it with ford stuff. Could even make an adapter plate to bolt up the 4r70w trans.

Wow. I can't believe I just read this whole thread. :eek: Lol.
Me to. The funny thing is people are telling him to modify a chevy distributor and make a cam sensor out of it. If you take a late model 4.3 distributor cap off and then the rotor the cam sensor will be staring you in the face. You can build a bad ass 4.3 and have the pro efi run it