4.3 Fuel injected Monte

j-lantern

I seem to remember a post saying that these had some of the similar parts to our cars. Was I dreaming or is there anything useful off of one of these that I should be looking for? BTW, found a great set of seats I could put in, right color and everything, except that some nimrod broke the front driver's seat. I hate useless destruction.

My books say the gas tanks and sending units are different. You should be able to use it in a pinch. I think the difference is in the baffle or tray that the fuel pump sits in. If you look at the turbo tank on the outside you can see a strip of foil insulation taped to the outside. The Monte tank doesn't have it. Eric Fisher

I used a tank and sending unit from a 4.3 Monte when I converted our Monte SS to turbo Buick power.
The tank is identical in every aspect to the 84-87 turbo Regals including the baffle inside.
The sender is very similar. The difference that I found was that the TBI 4.3 uses a shortened fuel pump. The 3/8" pipe that the rubber hose for the pump connects too is longer. I simply cut the pipe to fit the Walbro 307 that I used. The electrical plug is the same as the TR.

The tank would work except the filler neck pipe will be slightly different shape. A rad shop could change the necks over if needed. The sender difference is likely because TBI cars usually didn't use a pulsator, so the pipe needed to be longer, but we take out the pulsater anyway so that doesn't matter. It will be adaptable ( but not the TBI fuel pump !! ) Ron Cavanagh, buickron@aol.com

Trust me on this one; the tanks are identical in every aspect including the filler neck. People who have never even performed this swap debate it over and over again. There are many guys with Monte SS models using the 84-87 Turbo Regal tank. There was also Vernon Swindell with his 78 Malibu and he used a Turbo Regal tank. All of the coupe and sedan G bodies have the same angle on the filler neck. The reason for the differences in part numbers was because of the different divisions. Chevrolet would have one part# and then Buick would have another.
The D5 convertor is listed this way as well.
Chevrolet used it in the 85-88 Monte SS and Buick ofcourse used it in the 84-87 Turbo Regals. Same identical part in every aspect with 2 different part numbers.

Ill just echo what Lee said, the tank I found is identical, I have a 4.3 tank from a 85' Monte and a tank from a 87' GN side by side, and there is no difference. I used the GN tank and it fit my Monte just fine.