4.1L engine

Rigo's 87 GN

just wondering what people think of this? im new to this whole GN world so im berly trying to learn lil by lil. Someone told me i can take a 4.1 cadillac block and use it on the gn. my questions are can i used the same GN top end. would i need a custom girdle for that block. What are the major difference between the two other than bore x stroke. Can people tell the difference just by looking? Can i run a GN roller cam on that block?

Charlief1 some of your info posted above is incorrect.......
1980-1982 the 4.1 Cadillac was a Buick v6...I have one I'm currently building
1983 & 1984 the 4.1 Cadillac was a v8 totally different block and not useable in a buick turbo app. (the one you mentioned)

Here's some pics of the 4.1 Caddy block

Note...The 4.1 Buick v6 used (80-82) in the caddy is one of the better casted 4.1 Buicks (0044 casting). Look at how there is more meat it the deck area compared to the 291 and 484 casting 4.1 Buicks. I've had all 3 Buick 4.1 blocks sitting side by side once to compare the deck area.

Attachments

• casting 1.jpg
    casting 1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 536
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 487
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 499
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 480
This is correct the 0044 block is in my car now, and it has been great up to 550HP with not girddle, i have'nt been able to turn the boost up pass 20psi because the 2004R cant take it. I researched this engine alot before i tried it, and what i saw is they said they would crack in the lifter valley, but i saw that they all drilled a hole in there block for the oil return. That to me was the reson for the cracks, so i didnt drill a hole, i ran the oil return back to the hole where the manual fuel pump would have gone, and this engine is nothing short of amazing. If you do a search on (who's running 4.1's )you will see alot of info on my build, i just got a 291 block, and im planning to install a stroker, when ever cash come's available. The other caddy engine that dont work is the 4100(V8), not 4.1. Also if you are planning to run a roller cam, you need to change the front cam bearing, TA perf sell them, that is to allow oil to the driver side lifters.

Sounds like we are on the same page......

However the V8 4100 caddy is a true 4.1 liter as out lined in all gm parts books.

Note on the statement you made about the cam bearings...... The grooved bearings (like the ones TA sells or ACL's) are only needed if the front journal of the cam is not grooved. BUT If the cam does have the groove on the front journal then they are not required. Originally pre 1986 Buick cams had the groove on the cam,which feed the driver's side. 86 & 87 blocks (109's) the groove was in the block under the cam bearing and this is what feed the driver's side lifters.

more on the grooves.......

Once upon a time you could only find aftermarket cams that had the groove on the front cam journal, even billet rollers had the groove. Now most aftermarket cams do not. There are concerns with using a grooved cam in an 86/87 109 blocks even thou there are many out there built like that. 1. The grooved cams tend to cause un due shortened bearing life due to less contact surface. 2. When using an 86/87 groove block with a grooved cam, it gives concerns to loss of oil pressure and oil leaking out around the number one cam journal.

I actually had my billet Crane roller cam’s #1 journal sub-merged arc welded to fill the cam's groove for one of my 109 block builds.

This is correct the 0044 block is in my car now, and it has been great up to 550HP with not girddle, i have'nt been able to turn the boost up pass 20psi because the 2004R cant take it. I researched this engine alot before i tried it, and what i saw is they said they would crack in the lifter valley, but i saw that they all drilled a hole in there block for the oil return. That to me was the reson for the cracks, so i didnt drill a hole, i ran the oil return back to the hole where the manual fuel pump would have gone, and this engine is nothing short of amazing. If you do a search on (who's running 4.1's )you will see alot of info on my build, i just got a 291 block, and im planning to install a stroker, when ever cash come's available. The other caddy engine that dont work is the 4100(V8), not 4.1. Also if you are planning to run a roller cam, you need to change the front cam bearing, TA perf sell them, that is to allow oil to the driver side lifters.

any ideas where they "supposedly" crack in the lifter valley ? can anyone if possibly post a pic of the inside lifter valley towards the front of the cam ? I would like to compare it to mine . that area seems to be the only weak spot IMO . thanks .

Here' a pic of the area I am referring to . not a whole lot of "meat" there IMO .

Attachments

• IMG_0001_14.jpg
    IMG_0001_14.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0001_13.jpg
    IMG_0001_13.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 447
They did have a V6 diesel and they also used the 4.1L Buick V6 in some of them but it's very few. Hope this helps.

Charlief1 some of your info posted above is incorrect.......
1980-1982 the 4.1 Cadillac was a Buick v6...I have one I'm currently building
1983 & 1984 the 4.1 Cadillac was a v8 totally different block and not useable in a buick turbo app. (the one you mentioned)

I did state it Scott, I just didn't know what years or car. Thanks for clairifying which casting and years they are.